• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Corporation Street

It’s nice to be able to say this of any City’s Centre street that this is still recognisable. Even better, most of the buildings still exist today. Some buildings to the left going towards Old Square have changed.

Viv.

F1E0CE4F-C90C-4852-8C11-A0EB99ABE10E.jpeg9455B608-62D8-42AA-A396-EB6F2967EA05.jpeg

Last edited:
A a very busy 1904 scene in Corporation Street, though hardly any vehicles, but buzzing with pedestrians.

Viv.

04D1F437-056F-4E28-92FD-F8599C85A2EA.jpeg

Don't recall seeing this one before. Possibly a 1920s view. It shows the Victoria Hotel to the right. I've copied a photo posted by Richie on the City Centre Photographs thread for comparison of the hotel, later (I think) renamed the New Victoria Hotel. Seems like the street level entrance to the hotel was later taken over by Englands Shoes. Viv.

Screenshot_20230604_185234_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230605_110847_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Don't recall seeing this one before. Possibly a 1920s view. It shows the Victoria Hotel to the right. I've copied a photo posted by Richie on the City Centre Photographs thread for comparison of the hotel, later (I think) renamed the New Victoria Hotel. Seems like the street level entance to the hotel was later taken over by Englands Shoes. Viv.

View attachment 180691View attachment 180692
I cannot remember seeing this view of ABC Warehouse (replacement image) before either... so this is early 1960's do you think? It was previously Pitmans College and I was there from 1958 for a few years when the College moved to Norfolk House, Smallbrook Ringway. GeorgieG

Hi Georgie - looks 1960s to me too. Wasn't Lawrences College somewhere here too ? Viv

Hi Georgie - looks 1960s to me too. Wasn't Lawrences College somewhere here too ? Viv
Hello Vivienne14... I am not on very often but I have been going through the photographs on this thread.. it seemed to start with Sandra (Page 1) on Nov 23, 2014 which I answered Feb 21, 2019 (Page 4)
Stitcher put 2 photos on Sept 24, 2017 (Page 3) and one is Corporation Street with the ABC Warehouse on the left of the photo. Also on Page 3 is Jennyann on Feb 14, 2018 saying the premises were Pitmans/Lawrences College.
Vivienne you put a lovely photo on (Page 5) June 30, 2020 it was about the Fashion Making Shoe Makers... If you look above that sign there is the sign for Lawrences College in big letters. My mother and her sister both went to Lawrences College... later to become Pitmans College where I went in 1958 and my sister a few years before me. GeorgieG

Georgie, this thread might be of interest. Viv.

there was a gun shop in the row of shops next to the fire station what was it called? any one know the name please

the hundreds of times i went into town never went in the king hall market

Can anyone remember the colours of the England's (shoe shop) logo ? I have it in my head it was red letters on a very glossy black background, but is that right ? Viv.

Can anyone remember the colours of the England's (shoe shop) logo ? I have it in my head it was red letters on a very glossy black background, but is that right ? Viv.
Hi Viv,

I don't remember an England's logo but wonder if they used the shop name in italics as their logo. It appeared on the front of their shops and [I think!] their boxes. Have attached a phot of Soho Road which just shows Englands shop in the 1960s or 1970s. next to Withers. Metal letters on blue background.
This is from the Library of BHam collection. I think the Corporation shop had metal capital letters on a shiny black background as well as the italic version on the corner higher up. eng.png

Don't recall seeing this one before. Possibly a 1920s view. It shows the Victoria Hotel to the right. I've copied a photo posted by Richie on the City Centre Photographs thread for comparison of the hotel, later (I think) renamed the New Victoria Hotel. Seems like the street level entance to the hotel was later taken over by Englands Shoes. Viv.

View attachment 180691View attachment 180692
I used to be the night porter at the new Victoria Hotel, 1970's. I remember having to feed the parking meters in the morning for the guests. LOL happy, happy days.

At first glance, I thought that the lady in the dark coat, at the back of the bus queue, was talking into a mobile phone! :laughing:
john that is exactly what i thought too...then i remembered the date of the photo :D which just goes to prove that the angle etc of a photo can be deceiving

lyn

Back