• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Corporation Street

Looks like the tram is about to drop off the edge of the world !!

Seriously though, Coleridge Chambers which was built near the steam tram came into being in 1904. So the photo is pre-1904, in fact much earlier if it is a steam tram. Viv.

A common view of Corporation Street. But what I like about this one is the cart, bottom right. Looks like he may be carrying milk churns (from the station perhaps ?). Don't have a date, but possibly 1910s/20s ? Viv.

image.jpeg

Here is the Corporation Street/Bull Street junction before and after demolition in September 1966. Viv.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I note that around WW1 and in the days when many people played and owned pianos and having frequent musical soirées, there were four companies in Corporation Street where pianos and other musical instruments could be purchased. They were William Sames, Cranes & Sons, Scotchers & Son and finally Murdoch. I don't know how long these companies lasted and if they moved where they went. I believe Crane & Co are still in business and were when I shopped there in the early 1950,s

The ABC Warehouse on Corporation Street once was the premises of Pitman's/Lawrence's College 1950's and 1960's. I went to school there in the 1953 and years later climbed the stairs up to the ABC Warehouse. The College moved and the building was demolished in the late 1970's.

This corner of Corporation Street/Bull Street will be very familiar. Looks about 1960s. What was 'Noel' ? I remember the name but not what they sold. Was it clothes ? Or shoes ?

Nice view of Rackhams proudly flying its flags. Viv.

image.jpeg

Is Rackhams now owned by House of Fraser? It was announced today that the Birmingham House of Fraser store is set to close in early 2019. Dave.

Some prime sites among this list. Worth far more than the stores I guess.
The House of Fraser stores identified for closure:

Altrincham • Aylesbury • Birkenhead • Birmingham • Bournemouth • Camberley • Cardiff • Carlisle • Chichester • Cirencester • Cwmbran • Darlington • Doncaster • Edinburgh Frasers • Epsom • Grimsby • High Wycombe • Hull • Leamington Spa • Lincoln • London Oxford Street • London King William Street • Middlesbrough • Milton Keynes • Plymouth • Shrewsbury • Skipton • Swindon • Telford • Wolverhampton • Worcester
I haven't been in the Plymouth one for years, but this is what it looked like last time I was in it in 1988.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-devon-44397260/house-of-fraser-in-plymouth-store-closure

Animal rights activists, whom as far as I recall were never apprehended, set fire to the place. Firefighters from many parts of Devon went there.

Back