• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Coronet Motors 1951

Paul D

master brummie
Hi, im looking for anything to do with Coronet Motors/Ken Miles ltd, Coventry Road, Small Heath. 1951 was the year, does Kelly`s mention Miles or the number of the address? Thanks, Paul

I have to say that if it was the same Coronet Motors as in the early 70's the he was typical of the used care salesman of the era. I took our firms mechanic to run his eyes over a Jaguar he had for sale and he wouldn't let us give it the once over. So obviously I didn't buy it. By the way the pitch was on the corner of Whitmore St for a number of years.

Attachments

• Small Heath Coventry Rd Maturis.jpg
    Small Heath Coventry Rd Maturis.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 45
Well I went to work and now im home and there are 7 replies. Thank you everyone. 389 & 423 Coventry road. Does anyone here remember the place in 1941. I need more information which tells me for definite that Ken Miles worked there in late 1951. Astonian is on the case. Looking forward to hearing more from him.

hi paul;
roger my mate will be ringing me tomorrow night as usal as we make our planns for the week end [ sunday ] when we get together
unfortunately i was useing my mobile and it was late and he dammed thing went dead on me so i left it never rang him back because i know he rings me on a friday night with out fail should he forget but ne4ver does he will ring saturday afternnoon ;
in my mind and i am prety sure coronett was on the opersite side paul ; and bernie when one mentioned a yankie doodle car i think its correct to say
its either one or the other it was the first car compound passing munzs street and it was onthe same side of the pub and it was either the petrol forecourt they put on it or it was a super market which later in years was bought an asian family but just pasing there yards before the petrol garage i think it was on that site ; but in the next breath as you walked further along to the corner there was a compound there selling cars which later became a car drome of cars and later became a big building for meeting a convention centre ; [ thats my thinking ] but rooger did say he had his shop right next door to the compound of kens and thats how he became to know him for years my mate roger as been in the game for at least forty years and lived down the cov; but as we was speaking my dammed phone went dead ; so thats the situation until this week end at the latest for defin;;as roger should recall his shop number ;ok; paul and bernie ; and nick
best wishes Astonian;

In 1956 it seems to be trading as Dependable Cars 411 Johns H. electrical engineer
411 Baglin Chas. Ltd. Export Merchants
413 Foster W. H. & M. tobacconists
415 Astley Frank, hairdrssr
417 Cheslers (Furnishers) Ltd. house furnishers
Ltd. house furnishers
419 Clarkson & Co. woollen drapers
421 Dawson Boys Ltd. outfitters
431 /435 Dependable Cars Ltd. (D. Wareing, propr.), secondhand motor car dlrs
437/441 Keatley's, house furnishers
courtesy small heath circle

Read more: https://smallheath.proboards.com/thread/4374/coventry-road-odd-numbers#ixzz2ZTjbXGuU

Morning Astonian, you are doing a great job gathering the info but I must say can you ask if we are all talking about the same Ken Miles? The one im researching was born in Sutton Coldfield , family had the Tea company, he raced cars in hill climbs and in late 1951 worked at a used car sales in Small Heath, then emigrated in December 1951 to America. Really appreciate the facts you are finding out.

389a was my Dads old shop, a tobacconists until the late 1930's...

Nice to be able to pinpoint where it was, thanks for posting.

Back