• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Coroners Inquests

pat garner

Brummie babby
Thank you Mike, I can read it and I downloaded it without any problem. The baby isn't mentioned but I don't think it was stillborn. However, I understand it died soon after. A sad story because she already had 4 small children.
Again, many many thanks for your help.
Regards
Pat

pat garner

Brummie babby
Hi Mike,
You were able to help me with the newspaper report of a coroner's inquest for Sarah Garner. Now I have another favour to ask - another of my lovely relatives. This one is Thomas Hathaway and he commit suicide at Walsall Wood in 1866 by cutting his throat!! There was an inquest 29th May 1866 and the death certificate says that the coroner was Edwin Hooper coroner for Staffordshire. I have checked the Newspaper Archives and I think I have found the right report. It is dated 2nd June 1866 in the Staffordshire Adveriser under the heading Walsall. If this is the right one is there a chance that you could post it to the forum for me so that I can read all the gorey details.
Regards
Pat

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here you are

Staffs_advertiser_2_6_1866.jpg

Venice

Brummie babby
I'm new to the forum, and have a query on coroners' inquests. An ancestor of mine, John Small was found dead in the canal near Gas Lane Bridge, Swan Village, West Bromwich, on 11 June 1915. According to the death certificate. There was an inquest on 14 June 1915. I wonder if there is any way to obtain the report? Many thanks.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi venice i see no reason why not...i obtained the autospy.. coroners findings..police reports and witness reports on a rellie of mine 1945...this was about 7 years back and i think cost me £13...they emailed me the details...as the death of your rellie happened in west bromwich i am not sure if you should apply to the coroners office there or in birmingham but it should not be hard to find out...of course with covid holding things up i dont know how long you would have to wait but good luck

lyn

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Welcome to the Forum Venice. Being West Bromich, it will probably be held in Sandwell Archives, but with the pandemic, most of these places are closed or running on a skelton staff. As it is over 100 years ago, you should have no problem obtaining a copy, but there will be a statutory fee to pay - the last one I obtained was from Birmingham Archives about 15 years ago and the fee then was £10, but that will no doubt have risen in the intervening years.

Try an email to here:- [email protected] giving full details, but you may have a long wait to get a reply.

Maurice :cool:

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
great minds maurice just to point out that i was told that as long as the death was over 65 years ago there should be not trouble..as said my rellies death was in 1945 so well under 100 years ago so its always worth asking

lyn

Venice

Brummie babby
Thanks Lyn and Maurice, for the information (and so quickly supplied!). I will try the email address at Sandwell, and do realise that this might take some time in view of the current situation. Regards, David.

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Lyn,

At the time I applied, the closed period was 70 years, but mine was less than that. I was told that I had to be family member and that the Coroner had to be satisfied that I was not using the information therein to "make mischief". As it was a simple accident - being old and living alone in a block of flats in Ladywood, she'd opened the oven door & turned the gas on, and absent-mindedly forgot to light it. Neighbours in the block bel;atedly smelled gas and called the authorities and a police constable had break the door down. All rather boring reports from the people involved, and the Coroner, probably quite rightly, came to the conclusion of accidental death.

David,

Here's the newspaper report from Evening Despatch dated 14 June 1915. Sorry, but the copy is not too good:-

John Small.jpg

williamjukes

master brummie
This may be of interest to anyone seeking a copy of an inquest.

I recently contacted Birmingham Library - Archives department to enquire as to whether they held a copy of an inquest into an ancestors death (21 November 1887).

They replied that a copy is held on record to view - but due to Covid 19 the Archives department is currently closed. They advised that once the said department is open - if I am unable to visit - then they suggested employing an independent researcher.

At no point did they suggest they would be able to send me a copy for a fee.

William.

pjmburns

master brummie
This may be of interest to anyone seeking a copy of an inquest.

I recently contacted Birmingham Library - Archives department to enquire as to whether they held a copy of an inquest into an ancestors death (21 November 1887).

They replied that a copy is held on record to view - but due to Covid 19 the Archives department is currently closed. They advised that once the said department is open - if I am unable to visit - then they suggested employing an independent researcher.

At no point did they suggest they would be able to send me a copy for a fee.

William.
I had the same reply- they are not able to copy things.

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
The interesting thing is that I am unable to find either of the boys in that area on the 1911 Census - all with the HODNETT name are girls, and none have the CROTON name. Both would be dead now, of course, but strange that they are not in the area, though this was, oof course, an idle enquiry.

Venice

Brummie babby
Yes, it is curious that the two boys, Hodnett and Croton can't be found in the 1911 census... Interesting that they jumped in the canal, although perhaps it's what boys of that age might do in 1915!

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
David,

My error, I did a silly miscalculation on dates. The boys were Thomas James Hodnett, son of Thomas Hodnett of 27 Pugh Street, West Bromwich, and Clarence Croton, living with Sarah Bayliss & two other Croton children at 272 Spon Lane, West Bromwich. No sign of a Bayliss or Croton husband, but he could be away in the war. Sarah is working as a charwoman and Thomas Hodnett as an iron moulder. Thomas James HODNETT appears to have died in 1984 locally, and his friend Clarence Croton in 1973 in Birmingham. Pugh Street no longer exists and the houses in Spon Lane look to be fairly recent terraced houses with tiled roofs, so the area bears little resemblance as to how it was over 100 years ago.

Maurice.

Venice

Brummie babby
Thanks for the additional information. Wouldn't it have been nice to have spoken to those two in the 70s and got the story from the "horses mouth"! My ancestor who committed suicide, John Small, was one of my great-grandfather's brothers. John may have been tipped over the edge by money worries, but also, two of his children died, a son aged 10 and daughter 11 years old, earlier in his life, leaving as far as I know, just one remaining son.

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
David,

Yes, most people don't start in genealogy until most of their ancestors have passed away - I was 51 when I started mine - and in both sides of my family, photographs are as rare as hen's teeth. As for suicides, you never know what is going on in other people's minds, even when they are close to you. I doubt if the Inquest papers will tell you much more than you already know, but it is good to have the papers as a momento.

Venice

Brummie babby
I started very late in genealogy too. I have a dwindling number of cousins left and no parents, aunts and uncles. So most "personal stories" are not available, other than a few snippets when I met up with cousins in recent years. But I enjoy researching and discovering family members.