• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Royal Coronations : Birmingham response

This reminds me that I have a lot of black and white negatives, taken in 1954, of the Potteries. I must do something about them. One is a photo of Arnold Bennett's house.

Sadly I don't remember it as I was only three months old. My middle name is Elizabeth named after the Queen being born in Coronation year. My brothers got first choice with Wendy after watching Peter Pan. We lived in Coleraine Road Great Barr and like others Dad made sure we had a TV, that meant a house full. My fathers family had a very large tea urn used at many family functions. My mother used this as she didn't want to miss a minute of the event. She told me they all helped themselves to tea. They had a street party I will have to ask our John about that.

I like the story of you being named Wendy after Peter Pan! I am called Wendy too, much to my mums disgust! I was born in september 1950 and my mum was really sick when she had me so we were in the hospital for 6 weeks. One visiting time dad came to visit mum late, mum asked why he was late, he said he had registered the babies birth....she asked what he had called me, Wendy Margaret...mum asked what made him choose that without consulting her, he said a lady he knew said if you and your wife have a girl call her Wendy...so he did!! Mum was furious !
By the way i cant remember the coronation I was too little but love all the coronation photos on this site, thanks everyone.

I remember it being a cold wet day, with most of the grownups staring at an interminable cermony on the telly. We would shout in to them, "ennythin' 'appnin?" to which would come the reply "noooo !".
A stage was set up in our road and a bored - looking dance troupe, (Betty Barnes I think) did a bit of tap dancing. But the higjlight for us kids was in the evening when a huge bonfire was lit, cheered us up no end !

A couple of Coronation photos that are also in the 'old evening mail pics' thread.
Sycamore Rd Aston (click on the pic for full size)

I lived on the Beeches Estate in Great Barr and we also had flags strung across the street as in the photo above.
Our flags were put up a week before the event and I remember at night listening to them flapping in the breeze.

We liked our flags way back then.
Parked cars can just be seen in the Alma Street photo – but a place was found to lay the tables. Looks like they have eaten most of the spread.

The reign of Elizabeth II was about to start. Rationing had ended and the 'good old 1950's' were under way.
Alma St Aston 1953
I am in the pic!!!

Its lovely pic. Mrs Bradbury standing holding a plate on the step of her sweet shop 39 Alma St. (Just under the Lyons tea sign). She and her husband Les had the shop. We lived next door .

I found these photos of the Coronation Celebrations in Blakenhale Infants School playgroundin Outmore Road. They aren't very good quality I'm afraid but maybe good enough to spot yourself or a family member. I will try and scan them in if I can get my scanner to work. Malcolm.

Attachments

• Outmore Road 1.jpg
    Outmore Road 1.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Outmore Road 2.jpg
    Outmore Road 2.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Outmore Road 3.jpg
    Outmore Road 3.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 19
I was only a few months old when the Coronation took place, so don’t remember it. But did any parties have Coronation Chicken as part of their celebrations. I ask because I can’t imagine most families being able to afford the ingredients. So who was it aimed at ? Viv.

I remember being one of a few girls invited to see the Coronation on my headmistress's 12" television. She was the only person I knew that had one! My school was Soho College in Handsworth, and my headmistress - Dorothy Courbet - lived in the building which was just round the corner from where I lived.

I found these photos of the Coronation Celebrations in Blakenhale Infants School playgroundin Outmore Road. They aren't very good quality I'm afraid but maybe good enough to spot yourself or a family member. I will try and scan them in if I can get my scanner to work. Malcolm.
While you were in the junior school our street party was in the infants section see #106 above.

I remember going to London by coach after the coronation to see the street decorations in the Mall and Buckingham Palace etc. This was a works outing (remember them) organised by Dads company - Bowmans Radiators in
Aston I think. There were two coaches in the party and the other coach ran out of fuel in Oxford St. The coaches followed a set route round all the decorated streets and the driver opened the roof and we hung out the top looking at the decorations. Can anybody else remember doing this?

Hi Malcolm. I am the owner of the originals of these. :). My brother and sister are in them and the band that's set up was my dad's. The other ones of fancy dress were the residents from Carter's Hurst and Outmore Road.

Hi Malcolm. I am the owner of the originals of these. :). My brother and sister are in them and the band that's set up was my dad's. The other ones of fancy dress were the residents from Carter's Hurst and Outmore Road.
What a brilliant coincidence. My grandparents and parents lived at the end of Outmore Road by the now demolished 'Technical College'. As I grew up there I knew quite a few people from Carter's Hurst from school. Our name was Robinson, we lived at the end of Outmore next to Kents, Prews, Williams, Smiths, Llewelyns, Robothams, Prestons then I lose a few then there was another Williams, Osbornes and Whites. And many more I have forgotten! I thinks the Garvey's lived on the corner house heading into Carter's Hurst and I think Terry Sheppard lived near there too. There was also a super smart girl in my class in Blakenhale called Gail who I think lived in Carter's Hurst too. How brilliant it was your dad's band.

I don't know if you remember but there was a nasty fight at the school one saturday when the local 'Teddy Boy's' had a bust up. I have a couple of newspaper cuttings my daughter found about it.

Malcolm

Attachments

• IMG-20220528-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20220528-WA0003.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 9
Back