• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cornish Bros Corporation St & New St

kim64

proper brummie kid
hi everyone, have been going through some old post cards addressed to my gt grandmather at cornish brothers was wondering if anyone had any info on cornish brothers believe it may have been bookshop early 1918 many thanks kim

From at least 1849 till between 1913 and 1921 Cornish Bros were booksellers at 37 New St. In 1849 they described themselves as William & Charles Cornish
From 1904 till at least 1913 they also had a place at 119 Alcester Road, Moseley.
By 1921 they were at 39 New St and the Alcester road address had disappeared. They stayed at 39 New St till sometime between 1950 and 1956. For a time between 1921 and 1950 they also had a shop at 2A Cannon St. At various times they described themselves as just booksellers, sometimes also as publishers (in later years to the University of Birmingham) and in early years alos as stationers.

mike

I remember Cornish Bros bookshop in New Street in the 1950s and then didn't encounter them again until I started to research the lives of Victorian actress/singer Marie (Mary) LONGMORE and her husband Frederick William HUMPHREYS, who for 40 years was the Musical Director of the Theatre Royal.

Frederick was listed as a Professor of Music in the earlier Census records, though that didn't necessarily imply that he had a Degree in Music in Victorian times. But he certainly wrote a number of educational music books for students as well as music for Theatre Royal productions and quite a lot of this music was published by Cornish Bros. One of the Cornish brothers was also a witness to Frederick and Marie's wedding.

Regards,

Maurice

Hello my mother worked at The Cornish Brothers Book shop in New street Birmingham for a number of years and has always had happy memories of the shop however in trying to do some research on the shop I cant find a thing on it so if anyone else can remember anything or worked there or photos I would really appreciate it thanks Tabatha

A great bookshop; I used it regularly and still have many of the books I bought there. What I found out recently is that Burne Jones the artist and William Morris the designer and writer used it. Here is a quote from the biography of Burne Jones 'The Last Pre-Raphaelite: Edward Burne-Jones and the Victorian Imagination' by Fiona McCarthy.

The autumn brought a new excitement, the Morte d'Arthur, the book that of all books altered the direction of Burne-Jones and Morris's creative lives. Le Morte d'Arthur was the lengthy cycle of Arthurian legends written by Sir Thomas Malory, a knight from Warwickshire. It appears that he was working on it while he was in prison, charged with the un-knightly crimes of violence, theft and rape. Malory's magnum opus was completed in 1471 and printed by Caxton in 1485. In 1817 Robert Southey, so-called 'Lake poet' and the current Poet Laureate, produced his own edition of Malory and this was the version Burne-Jones had discovered by chance in Cornish's, the bookseller in New Street in Birmingham where the impecunious undergraduate spent many hours each day reading voraciously and buying occasional cheap books to pacify the owner. The Morte d'Arthur was far beyond his means but when Morris came to stay in Birmingham he bought it almost without thinking and, wrote Burne-Jones, 'we feasted on it long'.

Your welcome Tabatha, The info posted here was from 2009 by the way.
I'm sure Mike will come back to you on this, but the reason for the 2 numbers may have been that they extended their premises over 2 shops or that 39 was bigger ??. (I havent checked Kelly's)

how wonderful ! do you remember Mike if famous people went in to do signings?? I have suddenly found a few threads some mention that they were in 37 new street others imply 39 new street? The books are selling for quite a lot of money still especially if they have Cornish brothers and their address on the front of the book ;) thank you Mike

thank you hun as I have found quite a few references this moning saying it was 37 then others it was 39 on e bay there is a book for sale with 39 on it so perhaps you may be right ... do you know if these shops have been knocked down by now? or they still standing? would love to come and visit and have a look at the exterior when I come in December

I didn't know about book signings until a few years later until I was a student in London. I will have to look to see if I have any Cornish stamps though. I've just looked at one that I know I got from there but it doesn't have a stamp, it was two and six pence. It may be worth a bit though as it is a first edition Samuel Beckett

There seems to be no mention of Cornish in directories till 1841. In 1830 No 37 New St was William Reeves, clockmaker.
In 1841 the firm was Samuel Cornish, bookseller at 37 New St. but by 1845 the firm is described as William Cornish, bookseller . From at least 1849 till between 1913 and 1921 Cornish Bros were booksellers at 37 New St, though in 1849 they described themselves as William & Charles Cornish.
From 1904 till at least 1913 they also had a place at 119 Alcester Road, Moseley.
By 1917 they were at 39 New St and the Alcester road address had disappeared. They stayed at 39 New St till sometime between 1950 and 1956. For a time between 1921 and 1950 they also had a shop at 2A Cannon St. At various times they described themselves as just booksellers, sometimes also as publishers (in later years to the University of Birmingham) and in early years also as stationers.

The above is a slightly modified version (with added dates) of something I posted a while ago on the forum, but not quite sure where
Below is the advert they placed in the Birmingham Post on 7th Dec, 1857 (the second issue of the paper)

Birm_Post_7_122C1857.jpg

Sorry, i saw the other thread first. Have repeated my earlier post on it with some additions . They definitely seemed to have moved up the street, not enlarged thepremises, as tey have moved from a number one side of the birmingham Post to one the other side of the Birmingham Post address. This may have course been just moving down the same building. The 1857 advert I give on the other thread states that 37 is "The Journal" building.

You can just see Cornish's shop at 39 New Street in this photo - to the left of the Post & Mail. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351351310.366348.jpg

Mike, I was interested to see the 119 Alcester Road address. In the fifties there was a large second hand book shop in Moseley. I often went there but one of the old chaps there seemed very reluctant to sell anything. I remember going in once and asking for a particular book. He quickly claimed that He had nothing by that author. When I told him that I had seen a copy in the window, he reluctantly sold it to me. Anyway, I have just looked at 119 Alcester Road on Google. Of course, it has changed considerably since the fifties but it looks to me we're I remember that shop being.

Hi Tabatha, I believe the buildings are still standing.
In the Kellys Directory of 1913 it reads (in brief)

here is Corporation Street
35 & 36 Greaves
37 Cornish Brothers
38 Birmingham Daily Post, Weekly Post and Feeney
38 Feeney
39 Wray
39 Nicholls
39a Stephenson Chambers
40 Steele & Co
40a Hope Bros
here is Cannon Street

here is a map from 1889 showing Corporation Street to Cannon Street, on which you will see Stephenson Chambers
Cannon st to corporation st 1889.jpg
and here is a screen shot of that location today Cornish bros.jpg

I can't see any numbers on the screen shot but you may be able to get more of an idea when you visit.

oh my thank you so much Lindyloo that is just fabulous Im so excited to come and see things with my own eyes instead of through stories of old and this has saved me looking a fool wondering around now thank you so much x

My memory of being in the shop is very clear but the visual part is a little Hazey. I remember a large space lined and filled with book shelves. Quite a high ceiling. At one end a high balcony area ( I suppose these days we would call it a mezzanine) where the staff sat at there desks. Edwardian style decor and architecture.

I don't think that there was ever a bookshop on the premises after Cornish's went. Of course there was Hudsons up the road in New Street who also had a shop near The College of Advanced Technology (Aston University) at Gosta Green and at Edgbaston on the University campus.

That's a great picture Jenni. Is it a drawing? It shows how Cornishes must have later moved next door (to the left) and the newspaper expanded into the Cornishes premises shown in your picture (Did Cornishes own the newspaper I wonder?) The present day view is not really much different above street level if you look across New Street from Waterstones/Old Midland Bank building. The drawing shows a little of Corporation Street too. Viv.

That's a great picture Jenni. Is it a drawing? It shows how Cornishes must have later moved next door (to the left) and the newspaper expanded into the Cornishes premises shown in your picture (Did Cornishes own the newspaper I wonder?) The present day view is not really much different above street level if you look across New Street from Waterstones/Old Midland Bank building. The drawing shows a little of Corporation Street too. Viv.

The shop front is definitely drawn/painted, but the building looks like a photograph....I don't have any more information about it, but it is either a very good painting, or someone painted the shop front onto a photo, though I'm not sure why that would be as I think the image was produced when the shop was still open. It came in a magazine/booklet clipping with Cornishes now and before.....

cornish bookshop 40 new st in 1865.jpg

Though the address of this 'before' Cornish Bookshop picture is 40 New Street, an address they had in 1861, and probably a few years around. The image originally comes from a book published in 1865. Perhaps they moved here when their original bookshop was being demolished for the erection of the building that stands today.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also wondered if 'The Daily Post' sign was an advert? Perhaps Cornish's selling papers?

Since then found notice for paper printers next door in 1867.

Last edited:
This view has been on the Forum elsewhere but is a good addition to this thread. It shows Cornish's on the left around 1875. This was before Corporation Street was cut. I resume all the georgian buildings to the right of Cornish's were those that were later demolished to make way for Corporation Street. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366013951.075969.jpg

Further to mikejee's posting #7, Cornish also published music for Frederick W. Humphries, who was the Musical Director of the Theatre Royal for over 40 years in the latter half of the 19th century. These books were for intermediate level pianists and comprised Salon Valses and what would have been known as parlour music.

Maurice :cupcake:

Re-posting the image in post #22 without the watermark. This image was part of a 1956 advertisement. Viv.
6A635DB4-B25D-4E52-B572-FAE7CB02F1BA.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Last edited:
Nice to have a glimpse of the interior of Cornish's on New Street. Mmmm, smells those books, old and new ! Love the smell of bookshops.Sorry don't have a date for this photo.

Screenshot_20231102_142535_Chrome.jpg

Back