• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Corner Shops

SteveBhx

master brummie
I thought I would start a thread on corner shops - apologies if there is one already checking was not a strong point!.
All these pictures were going to be thrown out by Birmingham City council and are the same source as the Geoff Thompson archive.
This picture is 77 Boulton Road taken in 1975, from it you can see the old style lampost, Cadbury Chocolate sign and the Lyon Tea advert in the window. As the shop is shut I presume the photograph was taken on a Sunday.

Attachments

• 77 Boulton Road - 75.jpg
    77 Boulton Road - 75.jpg
    717.8 KB · Views: 48
This is 117 Queens Head Road from 1975. If you note the blind lowered to keep the produce out the sun, the Midland Counties Ice cream sign , bubblegum Machine in the wall and machine chained to the wall which usually had small toys and round bubble gum

Attachments

• 117 Queens Head Road - 75.jpg
    117 Queens Head Road - 75.jpg
    769.9 KB · Views: 40
121 Bordesley Green in 1974, old style local clothes shop on the corner with Green Shield stamps offered, baker next door and not a national company in sight. Austin 1100 and Vauxhall Viva in the Side street with the Cast Iron street name behind the Austin

Attachments

• 121 Bordesley Green - 74.jpg
    121 Bordesley Green - 74.jpg
    704.3 KB · Views: 54
Welcome Steve. The photos will be a great addition to the Forum. Thanks for taking the time to share them with us. Look forward to seeing more ! Viv.

151 Soho Road - lots of long gone street furniture - property advert at pavement level - old style telephone bracket, tobacco adverts and best of all Ghost sign for Horace Stroud builder

Attachments

• 151 Soho Road - 75.jpg
    151 Soho Road - 75.jpg
    661.9 KB · Views: 45
Hard to believe this is 1975 I am sure you can take this back another 50 years, 79 Ninevah Road, with produce on the pavement, scales in the shop window and barbers pole attached to the wall of the shop next door, and as for the sign on the wall!

Attachments

• 79 Ninivah Road - 75.jpg
    79 Ninivah Road - 75.jpg
    613 KB · Views: 51
303 Soho Road in 1975, this one takes a bit of studying, Evening Mail sign, an advert for the Jamaican Weekly Gleaner, etched window sign for Cards and pens, window sticker for Corona pop , travel agent sign, midland Red advert and the "proper" pram in the doorway

Attachments

• 303 Soho Road - 75.jpg
    303 Soho Road - 75.jpg
    789 KB · Views: 50
These are wonderfully detailed photos, giving us helpful glimpses of Birmingham’s retail and social history. Viv.

121 Bordesley Green in 1974, old style local clothes shop on the corner with Green Shield stamps offered, baker next door and not a national company in sight. Austin 1100 and Vauxhall Viva in the Side street with the Cast Iron street name behind the Austin
thanks Steve the photos are great and welcome to the Forum

The Corner Shop programme is on BBC2 again at the moment. I found it really interesting as I was looking at the history of the one in Little Boldmere. It explained how it might have evolved from a grocery store to an outdoor and now a pub (The Boldmere Tap).

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 31
303 Soho Road in 1975, this one takes a bit of studying, Evening Mail sign, an advert for the Jamaican Weekly Gleaner, etched window sign for Cards and pens, window sticker for Corona pop , travel agent sign, midland Red advert and the "proper" pram in the doorway
I was confused here but think the shops joining on have been knocked down when Bolton Road was widened. The original shop shows a sign for Barn Lane and this little alley widens out into what is left of Barn Lane. Building on left is Cross Guns. This shot is 2017 as I tried to find one of the shop without shutters up. I am not sure it is still open.
1611488963209.png

I will try not to make a habit of this but I had just scanned this one - is this the same location?

Attachments

• 365 Boldmere Road - 75.jpg
    365 Boldmere Road - 75.jpg
    919.7 KB · Views: 38
Hard to believe this is 1975 I am sure you can take this back another 50 years, 79 Ninevah Road, with produce on the pavement, scales in the shop window and barbers pole attached to the wall of the shop next door, and as for the sign on the wall!
1611489222091.png

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
1 Barrows Road in 1974 wonderful Twinings tea sign, with window adverts for Typhoo and Lyons tea. The breadman with the bread trays in the back of the lorry, Walls ice-cream sign and a hanging B & H sign, all with a traditional window sign

Attachments

• 1 Barrows Road - 74.jpg
    1 Barrows Road - 74.jpg
    835.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
97 Hobmoor Lane 1973- this one is one for zooming in on - firstly a chopper bicycle, every kids dream - worth a fortune today, RSPCA collection box, ghost sign behind the Danish sign, bubblegum machines, prices in the window and much more

Attachments

• 97 Hobmoor Road - 73.jpg
    97 Hobmoor Road - 73.jpg
    731.7 KB · Views: 59
1Barrows Road in 1974 wonderful Twinings tea sign, with window adverts for Typhoo and Lyons tea. The breadman with the bread trays in the back of the lorry, Walls ice-cream sign and a hanging B & H sign, all with a traditional window sign
1611494628406.png

Remember that row of shops well Steve as my Aunt lived in Victoria Street, in particular the Braggs bakery!! Great pics thanks for posting. Lynn.

This is 117 Queens Head Road from 1975. If you note the blind lowered to keep the produce out the sun, the Midland Counties Ice cream sign , bubblegum Machine in the wall and machine chained to the wall which usually had small toys and round bubble gum
This photo brings back plenty of memories for me. I can remember going in the shop, probably daily, to rummage through the sweets and ice cream before making my choice. It was owned by Mr Johnson back in the middle 1950’s. He and his family lived there. Jen

Back