• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Corner shop at 199 Percy Road, Sparkhill/Greet around the 1939 era

fairport

knowlegable brummie
Can anyone help with information on name and nature of business of a corner shop at 199, Percy Road, Sparkhill, adjacent to Avondale Road, which I believe was owned by Marian Lily Howell (known as 'Lil') & her husband Charles Howell, also of 113, Avondale Road, Sparkhill. The shop was run, according to the 1939 Register, by Lil's sister 'Flos', full name Florence Emily Neal.

Lil's other sister Ethel Ann (Neal) lived in the house integral to the shop along with her husband James Mason and their two children Ronald and Lilian.

Any information on the shop and its history would be gratefully received.

Kindest regards,

Fairport

The shop is listed from 1938-1956 as Mrs Florence Neale, shopkeeper, adn was not listed in 1962 (the next directory i have). Before it was Mrs Mary Newbold, shopkeeper. Usually this meant it was a small general shop selling sweets, some groceries and general odds & ends.

Many thanks for your prompt response MikeJee. The lady you mentioned was my Grandmothers sister, 'Auntie Flo', who had both worked together in chocolate making in their younger days so I wondered if the sweets link had continued..... ta very muchly, Fairport

Back