• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cigarette smoking

Embassy also offered cork filters. Like the Turkish brand mentioned earlier, they had an impressive crest. Viv.F96E963C-B28D-42E8-875A-890C07A3E0F7.jpeg

Being a former “fag ash Lil” (crikey where did that come from ?!) I smoked lots of different brands and really disliked unfiltered ones. You Put a lot of effort into discretely removing bits of tobacco from you lips. But I never knowingly smoked one with a cork tip. What was the difference to the later ‘cotton wool’ type tips ? Viv.

“Fag ash Lil” he he, that’s a blast from the past. The cork tip was just a thin cork wrapping around the outside of the fag to prevent tobacco getting into the smokers’ mouth. Some posh cigarettes used rose petals too.

The cotton wool type filters were a response by the tobacco companies following from reports by the medical profession that smoking could be dangerous. The filters of course made no difference but did have a dye in them to make them look like they were filtering out the tar.

You may also be pleased to know that some tobacco companies made their filter tips from asbestos.

“Fag ash Lil” he he, that’s a blast from the past. The cork tip was just a thin cork wrapping around the outside of the fag to prevent tobacco getting into the smokers’ mouth. Some posh cigarettes used rose petals too.

The cotton wool type filters were a response by the tobacco companies following from reports by the medical profession that smoking could be dangerous. The filters of course made no difference but did have a dye in them to make them look like they were filtering out the tar.

You may also be pleased to know that some tobacco companies made their filter tips from asbestos.
wow.dint know that.
Asbestos cigarette filters were produced by Hollinsworth & Vose Company, also called H&V Specialties, for Lorillard Tobacco Company’s “Kent Micronite” brand cigarettes. The crocidolite used in the filters is one of the most toxic types of asbestos.

Hi,

My grandfather smoked Craven 'A' and he died in 1938. He left behind him some opened
packets of 20, which my Gran had put into some bags of knitting wool "to keep the moths out".

There they remained until the late 50's, when I found them in my mid teens.
They certainly had real cork round the end, - and I smoked them!. They didn't taste very
good, but I would definitely put that down to old age rather than the tips.

I always preferred plain cigarettes, and I believe that they were safer than filter cigs, as
most of the tars accumulated in the last half inch of the tobacco, not in the filter itself.
I remember a lot of smokers seemed to smoke them right down to the filter.

I gave up completely in 1973 whilst working behind a pub bar, - trust me. the
customers didn't make it easy, -and I've never touched one since.

Kind regards
Dave

Being a former “fag ash Lil” (crikey where did that come from ?!) I smoked lots of different brands and really disliked unfiltered ones. You Put a lot of effort into discretely removing bits of tobacco from you lips. But I never knowingly smoked one with a cork tip. What was the difference to the later ‘cotton wool’ type tips ? Viv.
I had a colleague known Fag Ash Lil, the same person was also called Betty Bleach, and Madge the Toothless Old Dinnerlady. She doesn't know though. We had a top 20 song chart to fit our colleagues, She got, Smokee Gets in Your Eyes by anyone who sits near her. Mind we had another 2, Lilo Lil, and Half a crown Lil.

I was told that Nan's dad smoked Twist in a pipe down the garden. Her mum wouldn't have it in the house it stank. Grandad smoked Kensitas and Players No 6 before that, I have a Players Tin. with the sailor on. And some gold tins. Mum smoked in her teens, untipped with a hair grip. Dad, anything going. Then Craven Aromatic in a pipe. I still have his Condor free gift of a leather wallett with electrical screwdrivers in and fuses. It smells of his baccy so I like it. And they are usefull. Good for repairing spectacles. Smoking killed his dad in his early 50s when they said smoking was good for you. I brought dad Lola from Spain but he said they were too strong. Nan smoked 1 a day after dinner, she had an elegant case with a lady in a bouffant dress on it, Aunty smoked one a year on Christmas Day with her yearly glass of sherry. She lived till she was 98.I smoked when I was 15, hated it, bit the ends off, all soggy. My Parents didn't mind so the dare wasn't there, but it was too expensive.

My granddad in Barton's Bank used to send round me to the shop in Potter's Hill for a "pen'orth of twist" then roll it in his hands to break it up for his pipe.

On a less cheery note my younger brother Gordon died horribly from lung cancer caused by fags, they removed his lung and the hole in his chest oozed stinking green fluid for a couple of weeks before he finally passed.
I remember that hospital ward full of patients in a similar state or with emphysema walking around dragging their oxygen bottles along.

Not at good way to go, Eric, and after years of 60 a day until about five years ago, it was emphysema that finished off my brother earlier this year. Whilst oxygen allows them a certain amount of mobility, it is the inability to get rid of the carbon dioxide that is the killer so he told me.

Maurice :cool:

Back