• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Corbridge Avenue Great Barr

catmadjax

knowlegable brummie
Hi everyone, when I was little I used to live at a house in Corbridge Avenue Great Barr, I dont know the number of the house, is there anyway I could find out on the internet without going into the cost of
my birth certificate etc etc..????

Many thanks, any help would be appreciated

Jackie Pedley.

Re: Corbridge Avenue Great Barr - trying to trace the number of the old house we live

Hi Jackie, it was 49, in the 1973/4 Kelly's Directory.
rosie.

Re: Corbridge Avenue Great Barr - trying to trace the number of the old house we live

OMG YOUR A STAR!!!!!!! How do you know? do you know what dates it was from and to? It would be under Charles Pedley. OMG I cant believe it thank you!!!!

Thanks! I'm blushing!
Yes it says "Chas". Kelly's were printed from information from the previous year, I think mine was one of the last years to be printed. Mikejee will probably confirm that!!
I'm sorry I don't have access to electoral rolls to find out "from and to".
Best Wishes,
rosie.

and as you most likely know jackie your old house is still there...

lyn

Yes its still there lolol! i had a look on google maps but Im not sure it is number 49 as google is not very accurate. If it is the same house then it will be only one on the road that hasnt changed a bit!

Yes, the last Birmingham Kellys was 1973/4

Yes its still there lolol! i had a look on google maps but Im not sure it is number 49 as google is not very accurate. If it is the same house then it will be only one on the road that hasnt changed a bit!

Hi Jackie,

Hopefully these images should help you to confirm whether or not it was number 49, as per the Kellys Directory. Looks like you had a very long garden?

Corbridge49-1.jpg

Corbridge49-2.jpg

Corbridge49-3.jpg

I've also uploaded them here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4019461/Corbridge49-1.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4019461/Corbridge49-2.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4019461/Corbridge49-3.jpg

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

OMG that is our house? its changed a lot! Oh thank you for finding this, I couldn't see it on google maps! yes the garden was very very long, I have some photos of me as a child in the back garden, oh thank you soooooooooo much for finding this, it means a lot. My Dad was killed in a car accident when I was 15 and mum died last year of cancer, so it means so much xxxx

This has brought back some vivid memories for me. I lived in Atlantic Road and we always played in the gully running along the ends of our gardens. From the gully we could cut through to Corbridge Av via a little cutting which came out onto the circle at the top of Corbridge Av. Our house was very near Corbridge. We used to take our roller skates and we'd roller skate like wild things down your road. A nice slope for skating on, unlike Tresham which was a bit too steep and fast. Sometimes we'd just cut through Corbridg Av to get down to Birdbrook Road. You could see all the houses laid out below from our back bedroom windows from Corbridge right across to Great Barr School in the distance. Our house was the one with the red dot. It also had a long garden. Plenty of space for lawns, a pond, vegetable patch, fruit trees, coal house, shed and side gate into garden. We also had a very long washing line. I expect the garden space was all part of the 1930s design, so that people had a sense of fresh air and not too closely packed with their neighbours. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Ahhh yes! when I was little I used to walk from the house up the road to the cal de sac and climb the gully on the back of the houses too! my mum used to walk me there when I was little, I think my dad had an allotment further up the road for a while. Our house at corbridge was haunted tho, I used to see doors open and close and strange things happened, but my mum never noticed them. how to I attach a photo on here?.

That cutting from the gully down to Corbridge Avenue was quite steep. And it was quite rough cut when we used to play round there. Lots of loose shingle and it was a bit of a scramble, especially coming back up. In fact the drop from Atlantic Road right down to Birdbrook Road must have been pretty significant. From memory this is where there were once sandpits - we had a discussion on BHF about it a few years ago. I remember a gap in the 1930s houses along Atlantic Road, where for some reason, no houses were built until about the 1950s. I think it might have had something to do with the sandpits. And if you went along the gully towards Dyas Road, well that was some climb! So we usually always played along the strip from Corbridge up to Tresham Road. Access is now all fenced off. Viv.

Hi Rosie, I cant believe how nice the house looks, it looks like the owners really take care of it. and that garden! well, i remember getting lost in it, my dad had cars kept right at the bottom and the shed/garage you see at the bottom of the garden my dad made it. I would love to go back there, but I have to say, it was haunted, it really was.

Hi Rosie, I cant believe how nice the house looks, it looks like the owners really take care of it. and that garden! well, i remember getting lost in it, my dad had cars kept right at the bottom and the shed/garage you see at the bottom of the garden my dad made it. I would love to go back there, but I have to say, it was haunted, it really was.
Hi Jackie, just joined Birmingham History forum and could not believe what we were reading. the name Pedley jumped out straight away!
we are the owners of 49 Corbridge Ave and have been since August 1974 so we will have been here 50 years this year!
we believe you must be the little girl we meet with your mom and dad when we viewed the house all those years ago.
we would very much welcome you to come and visit us and see the house now. Linda and Keith Bates

Welcome Linda. I'd have just left Atlantic Road as you moved into your house in Corbridge. Just as well as I'm sure we kids would have got on your nerves roller skating down your road !

All of the alleyways were our playground around there. I notice the little joining alleyway is still there from the back of Atlantic Road houses to Corbridge. It was a steep drop down to your road, or so it seemed when we were young.

Hi Jackie, just joined Birmingham History forum and could not believe what we were reading. the name Pedley jumped out straight away!
we are the owners of 49 Corbridge Ave and have been since August 1974 so we will have been here 50 years this year!
we believe you must be the little girl we meet with your mom and dad when we viewed the house all those years ago.
we would very much welcome you to come and visit us and see the house now. Linda and Keith Bates
hi linda and welcome..how nice of you to invite catmadjax to visit you and see her old house...hopes she logs on and spots your post

lyn

One Christmas I worked on the Christmas post when I was a student. My round was Tresham Road, along Birdbrook, up Corbridge and along Dyas Road. I think it was around 1975, I'd left home but came back from college for Christmas. If you'd moved in by then Linda, I might even have delivered Christmas cards to your house ! The main thing I remember about it was the slog up and down those hills, and the pavements had snow, which had turned to ice. Made me appreciate how hard postmen work. Two weeks casual work was more than enough for me.

Back