• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Copyright and posting images

it is and you do dave...:encouragement: it just really gets to me sometimes the way some people are so protective over old pics of birmingham.(not talking about personal family ones) in the main most folk are not selfish at all and are most happy to share what they have with forums such as this one for which we are so grateful as they give so much pleasure to us..its quite simple really..if some folk dont want collectors such as myself to save anything we find then dont put them on the net..

lyn

Last edited:
The copyrights issue is one that will go on forever, I received this email and replied that although some images MAY be acedited to the complainaint, most of his images are Birmingham city library images who clearly state that images must not be used for profit.

Good Morning

John Houghton has spoken to me about the pictures you are using on your website.

We are not happy that you have taken pictures out of Amberley published books without seeking permission.

Sarah Parker
Senior Publisher

If everyone copyrighted every image they took, nobody would share anything and the world would be a sad place.
All pictures should be available to share and as long as no one's making money out of them then so be it.
If someone went to great trouble to get a picture then give them credit for it under the picture. Simple.

I've seen some great pictures on this site and thanks for the memories they evoke.
If you've got a pic you dont want to share mark it effectively so it is obvious to all.
Then go get your middle name changed to "humbug" :) (joking)

If everyone copyrighted every image they took, nobody would share anything and the world would be a sad place.
All pictures should be available to share and as long as no one's making money out of them then so be it.
If someone went to great trouble to get a picture then give them credit for it under the picture. Simple.

I've seen some great pictures on this site and thanks for the memories they evoke.
If you've got a pic you dont want to share mark it effectively so it is obvious to all.
Then go get your middle name changed to "humbug" :) (joking)

cant add much to that stephen...just about sums up my feelings..:encouragement:

lyn

As an alternative to copyrighted images, you might want to take a look at terms and conditions for Creative Commons licences. (see https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2011/08/creative-commons-images-and-you/ ) these are generally pretty reasonable conditions for posting anything. If you post something you should say what it's called, whose it is, and where you got it from - or, at least, as much of that as you know. That should cut down on a lot of copyright theft and deal with a few disputes.

I have took onboard the comments given and to hell with it i have posted photos under a new thread "BOMB DAMAGE PHOTOS"
Phil

I think that's the right move Phil - largely because I love look in at old photos - and where is the problem as long as the pic is credited to the taker/owner?
Also, as has been mentioned, if people really don't want their pics copied, get them watermarked so they won't copy, as the school photos are!
Sue

Hope someone can advise me. I have a photograph which was printed in the Birmingham Mail about 1963. Will it be OK to scan it and post it here? It was taken by a B M photographer so it would have been their copyright then but how long do these things last for?

Any help much appreciated

Regards from Redruth

Arnold

Hi Arnold,
They have a copyright but this is a non-commercial website and there are already BM pics on it. It is best to give the BM a mention in posts. There are a lot of scanned BM pics in the post below ...

This has always been a murky area, Arnold. Different companies have different terms defining the use of their material and many are generous and permit republication of copyright material for non-commercial purposes. But you would need to go through the small print in each case to be certain. On the other hand, the rise of Facebook seems to have given some people the feeling that anything they see on screen is fair game and can be republished by themselves, without the slightest acknowledgement, so that then they can sit back and enjoy the glow of all the OMGs and WOWs.

My own policy has always been to try to use common sense. And courtesy. Am I using the image for strictly non-commercial purposes? Is the original provider likely to have a real, legitimate objection to the way I am using the material? Could I be damaging their interests in any way? Has it been used and reused so often that it is almost in the public domain anyway? Does it come from a possibly hard-nosed U.S. corporate image source who may well protect their interests aggressively (in which case, keep well clear)? Do I remember that the company – and possibly the individual – has put a lot of time and effort and even money into making this image available to me?

So far, this has stood me in good stead with regard to anything I have put online in my non-Forum activities (touching wood!). As oldMohawk suggests, better to make a mention of the Birmingham Mail in this case. And not only safer, but just common courtesy.

We are not very good on this Forum at acknowledging sources (although rather better than Facebook). We should really try to do better: it's courteous; it might just deflect the fury of someone who has seen his or her images stolen yet again without the least acknowledgement; and it's also useful information to anyone who is interested and may wish to pursue a subject further using that source.

All my personal attitude and not official Forum advice! But no real problem with your photo.......

Chris

This has always been a murky area, Arnold. Different companies have different terms defining the use of their material and many are generous and permit republication of copyright material for non-commercial purposes. But you would need to go through the small print in each case to be certain. On the other hand, the rise of Facebook seems to have given some people the feeling that anything they see on screen is fair game and can be republished by themselves, without the slightest acknowledgement, so that then they can sit back and enjoy the glow of all the OMGs and WOWs.

My own policy has always been to try to use common sense. And courtesy. Am I using the image for strictly non-commercial purposes? Is the original provider likely to have a real, legitimate objection to the way I am using the material? Could I be damaging their interests in any way? Has it been used and reused so often that it is almost in the public domain anyway? Does it come from a possibly hard-nosed U.S. corporate image source who may well protect their interests aggressively (in which case, keep well clear)? Do I remember that the company – and possibly the individual – has put a lot of time and effort and even money into making this image available to me?

So far, this has stood me in good stead with regard to anything I have put online in my non-Forum activities (touching wood!). As oldMohawk suggests, better to make a mention of the Birmingham Mail in this case. And not only safer, but just common courtesy.

We are not very good on this Forum at acknowledging sources (although rather better than Facebook). We should really try to do better: it's courteous; it might just deflect the fury of someone who has seen his or her images stolen yet again without the least acknowledgement; and it's also useful information to anyone who is interested and may wish to pursue a subject further using that source.

All my personal attitude and not official Forum advice! But no real problem with your photo.......

Chris
thanks Chris.

In the 'Downloading Useful Information - Permission' thread, there is a long discussion on this, however if you Google 'Copyright' there is a lot of interesting detail. I have published a book of old postcards and two of the publishers would not let me put any of their cards in the book even if I indicated there was a copyright involved and two photographers demanded a fee for allowing me to post superb pictures in the book. I later obtained a postcard of the one photograph which put it out of the copyright period. It is going in the next book so I await the 'photographers' comments with interest.

Bob

I personally don’t mind as long as there is an acknowledgement and its not for personal gain.

I did come across a website once that had on its landing page a big statement about copywrite and people using images on the site. Lo and behold, there’s one of my images with no reference or acknowledgment.

I personally don’t mind as long as there is an acknowledgement and its not for personal gain.

I did come across a website once that had on its landing page a big statement about copywrite and people using images on the site. Lo and behold, there’s one of my images with no reference or acknowledgment.
Been there done that, but that one takes the cake

Bob

Thanks for all your replies. I will dig out the the photo and post it to the forum (When I find out how ).
Regards
Arnold
Some forum image uploading instructions are in link below ... :)

i have never really understood the sheer selfishness of some people that do not want to share their photographs with like minded people and if they do get in huff when they find them posted elsewhere.. old photos are all we have left of our fast diminishing old brum...over the years i have been given hundreds of old black and whites from private collections all of which i have shared with members of this forum...even though i own the copyright to these photos i do not give a jot if anyone wants to include them in any books they may write and no doubt my photos are by now all over other social media sites..... again i dont care because if they bring pleasure to others thats all that matters to me....sometimes they are acknowledged but mostly not but thats life...its fine with me..thats just how it is but my advise to anyone is simple... if you want to keep your photos to yourself then dont post them on social media as its never going to happen... :rolleyes: :) ps many thanks to our lovely members who do want to share..

lyn

Last edited:
i have never really understood the shear selfishness of some people that do not want to share their photographs with like minded people as photos are all we have left of our fast diminishing old brum...over the years i have been given hundreds of old black and whites from private collections all of which i have shared with members of this forum...even though i own the copyright to these photos i do not give a jot if anyone wants to include them in any books they may write and no doubt my photos are by now all over other social media sites..... again i dont care because if they bring pleasure to others thats all that matters to me....sometimes they are acknowledged but mostly not but thats life...its fine with me..thats just how it is but my advise to anyone is simple... if you want to keep your photos to yourself then dont post them on social media as its never going to happen... :rolleyes: :) ps many thanks to our lovely members who do want to share..

lyn
Lyn
What a lovely and generous statement. Thank you.
Bob

Back