• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Copying a dvd

barrie

master brummie
Recently found some old 8mm films spools. Took them into Jessops and got them copied onto a dvd, I would now like to download the dvd onto Windows Media Player or something, so that I could e-mail the file, but don't know how to save the dvd to my laptop.

My o/s is Windows7 Sorry, forgot to add 64bit.

Thank you
Barrie.

Last edited:
Barrie. I've just done this to an 8mm film which a friend took of our wedding! I used Acala DVD Ripper Professional from download.com. It worked well and gives a large choice of formats. Although it says it's free I think it's limited to 15 minutes which wasn't a problem as my film was only 5 minutes long. However the file produced was 70MB so emailing it could be a problem.

Hm. Downloaded Acasa but it is telling me that the the dvd is not a valid dvd source. What do I do now?

Barrie

Hi Barrie - If you bought your laptop with Windows 7 64bit already in it you might find it has some software already installed to copy DVDs. My laptop is a HP Compaq and it came with a program called Cyberlink DVD Suite which makes a disk image, then the disk image can be burnt to a blank DVD. I do however use a program called Roxio Creator which I bought cheap in a sale at a well known big supermarket.
oldmohawk

Windows 7 has the facility to Rip DVDs or CDs to the hard drive in its Media player. I have also used it to copy to DVD's recently. Failing that I use Nero.

If anyone wants an 8mm film put onto DVD or any other formatof your choice, then get this guy to do it for you.

I have used his services for a number of years, he is a local guy andunderstands the aspects of cine conversion exceptionally well, and delivers the goods; no nonsense or bull, which a lot of the so called cine conversion people you find on the internet seem to promise at the moment.

He will also give you a free extra copy and a cd with your video files on it in windows format, so you can then edit the films yourself.

https://www.spectrumvideofilms.co.uk/page18.html

I copied the DVD files to a folder on the desktop first. The main file is a .VOB and there were also an .IFO and a .BUP (actually there were 2 of each due to the DVD having a start menu which had its own files). I didn't actually try ripping from the DVD direct.

Windows 7 has the facility to Rip DVDs or CDs to the hard drive in its Media player. I have also used it to copy to DVD's recently. Failing that I use Nero.

Bernie, I do have Windows Media Player, but can't understand how to do this, am a bit of a biff when it comes to this sort of stuff, could you let me know how to do it please. Ta very much.

Barrie.

Back