• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Coors Museum Burton

R

Rod

Today I supported a group to go the the Brewing Museum in Burton On Trent. I know its not Birmingham but the museum has links with Brum because Atkinsons and Mitchells and Butlers were taken over by one firm or another and then the Coors business took over the Burton Companies.

Well what a fantastic place, I highly recommend a visit. A volunteer accompanied us around and made the day fascinating answering so many of our questions. I found out so many things about brewing that I didnt know. The breweries employed so many trades from Brewers, Maltsters etc to Coopers, Engineers, Blacksmiths.

There is a huge model of Burton, its very detailed and is a snapshot of a moment in Burton in 1921 at I think 10:30am Its complete with working trains.

There are Cart Horses, old Buses, a shunting engine, workshops, stables........ so many things to see and learn about.

I agree with every word you say Rod about this museum. My first job was with at Atkinsons Brewery, so I could relate to so many exhibits, although we didn't have the horses at Atkinsons in my day. You forgot to mention that you can also have a drink or a meal if you so wish.

highgate brewery.walsall

heres a link to to a nice brewery in walsall.which manufactures coors.davenports beers.if you go there.get a lift home or a taxi.as they have a bar to drink in after the tour.a good old fashioned bar.:Dancedancer07:

https://www.highgatebrewery.com/

Sylvia they have a smashing place to eat and drink. They sell White Shield too, a very strong Pale Ale that'll blow your socks off.

Frankly my post doesnt do the place justice, the museum exhibits and the volunteer staff opened my eyes up to how beer and ales were made and how the industry evolved early on. I'm very interested in Social and Industrial history and I really learned from the visit.

Sylvia did you see the Norkie Tea Pot? made I think at Moira just down the road from Burton. Norkies were I believe Agricultural workers who worked the Barley fields around Norfolk once harvest was done they were out of work, so they came to Burton and other brewing towns I guess? and worked with the Barley in the huge Malting buildings. A dreadful job, hot and dusty work for 12 hours or so a day. Once the work was completed they were paid off and went back to the fields and the process started again. Norkie Tea Pots were purchased by the Norkies for thier wives and girlfriends.

Back