• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cooperative Society Transport

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
I have obtained the small booklet issued for the 70 years of service by the BCS (1881-1951)

Just flicking through there is a picture that I will scan later for the Forum showing the BCS Traffic Dept Coaches. I had not realised that they ran weekly services during the summer months to Westward Ho, North Devon and to Corton near Great Yarmouth!

I will post bits as I go through it.

Last edited:
1DA41252-313B-48A3-83EF-3C04EB585140.jpeg
I have obtained the small booklet issued for the 70 years of service by the BCS (1881-1951)

Just flicking through there is a picture that I will scan later for the Forum showing the BCS Traffic Dept Coaches. I had not realised that they ran weekly services during the summer months to Westward Ho, North Devon and to Corton near Great Yarmouth!

I will post bits as I go through it.

The full cab looks like it is a Maudslay, the half cabs appear to be AEC's. If the Maudslay is a BCS coach, although it has a Coventry registration plate, then they seem to have made a reverse livery choice.

Last edited:
The full cab looks like it is a Maudsley, the half cabs appear to be AEC's. If the Maudsley is a BCS coach, although it has a Coventry registration plate, then they seem to have made a reverse livery choice.
The first coach is definitely a Maudslay Marathon, a Coventry manufacturer later taken over by AEC although for a time after many of those produced still displayed the Maudslay badge. A similar thing happened after AEC also took over Stockport based Crossley Motors.

Simon

Hi Alan,

They certainly had a good few in the early 1950s before the little green Morrison Electric
vans gradually took over.

I lived not far from the Co-op bakery in Manor Road Stechford, and remember the horses
being led each evening from the Bakery down to their stabling at the bottom of Station Road.

I believe the stables were down a little lane opposite the Bull's Head (Manor House) pub.

Kind regards
Dave

Lovely, but I know someone who was taken to a funeral in Wolverhampton which had similar when he was about 13 and is a bit scared of horses even now, 20 years later, which he attributes to that experience

Back