• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cooksey Family--canal people.

Hi There.
Does anybody have any info on the following:-
William COOKSEY b 4 SEPT 1803 IN OLDBURY he M a Hannah ????? C1803
OLDBURY ????
He appears on the 1861 cesus at OFFCHURCH with Hannah and their son
Joseph (16). On the 1871 census Hannah is entered as Head of family ie
Widow. she I believe died in Daventry Dec 1881????????

JOSHUA COOKSEY b C1695 Buried 21 Feb 1729 IN Halesowen he M
MARY FOX 10 April 1721 in Halesowen. she B 1700 ?????

Regarda John
Hi John,
I may be able to help you, however I shall need a few days to sort paperwork out. My late husband was a Cooksey who was born in Smethwick 1n 1932. He died in 2001. We both spent many years gathering our individual family trees. I still have most of his information. I cannot promise to find the info you are seeking, I do remember him speaking of the boat people. I'll do my best! Regards.

Hi John,
I may be able to help you, however I shall need a few days to sort paperwork out. My late husband was a Cooksey who was born in Smethwick 1n 1932. He died in 2001. We both spent many years gathering our individual family trees. I still have most of his information. I cannot promise to find the info you are seeking, I do remember him speaking of the boat people. I'll do my best! Regards.
Hi I'm not the owner of the original message but I am looking to find out about Ellen Selina Cooksey in particular - she was my husbands maternal great grandmother - any information would be greatly appreciated. x

Hi John
Not yet found too much different than other members. I did find William Cooksey, born 4 September 1803, parents Charles and Sarah Cooksey. Also found a marriage between William Cooksey and Hannah Hurley at St Thomas, Dudley in 1828 and on the 1851 census a William and Hannah Cooksey living at Shidas Lane, Oldbury.

Hi Laura
Have been trawling through papers this afternoon, I'm sure I've spotted Ellen Selena Cooksey, shall investigate further.

I have noticed another member mentioning Christopher Cooksey, I'm certain this is the same gentleman who corresponded with my husband. His knowledge of the Cooksey's is amazing!

Hi Laura,

Have looked at John Cooksey (the Boatman) Oldbury. He and his wife, Ellen had a daughter Ellen aged 2 who appeared on the 1881 census and again on the 1891 Census aged 11. I noticed on the 1911 census that John and Ellen had 9 children altogether, 6 living and 3 had died. Perhaps Ellen was one of the latter? John's wife Ellen died in 1933 and was buried in Oldbury Cemetary. As another of your correspondents, I found the marriage of an Ellen Selena Cooksey (born Birmingham 1877) at St Gabriel's Church in Deritend, Birmingham to Walter Day, her father named as John Cooksey. Not much help I'm afraid, but won't give up yet!

There appear to have been 10 Cooksey/Preston children, 6 alive (bold) and 4 dead in 1911...

William 1877-1878, Ellen 1879, Samuel 1880, Matilda 1882-1885, Ann 1884, Lizzie 1886-1886, Eliza 1888, John 1891, Elizabeth 1893 & George 1897-1898.

Assuming that the number of children listed as alive is correct that would seem to rule out Ellen Selina as a daughter of John & Ellen of Oldbury.

I have just looked again at the copy of the 1911 census form and it is not easy to distinguish the figure of children who have died, to me it looked to be three or possibly five.

I agree, I do not think the boatman John (listed on the 1911 census as Fish and Chip shopkeeper, and written above the entry boatman) is the family connected to Ellen Selina Cooksey for whom Laura is looking. I am still seeking information for Laura.

I am new to the forum so I hope I have the right place. I saw interest in Boat people and am looking for an Ellen Selina COOKSEY birth 1879. Her father was John COOKSEY a boatmnan. Ellen Selina is not in the GRO birth Index. The first record I have found of her is a Marriage of Ellen Selina to Walter DAY 1897 Birmingham. Is there some way to track births of boat people that may not be in the GRO, as I know they travel far and wide.
Hi John
Not yet found too much different than other members. I did find William Cooksey, born 4 September 1803, parents Charles and Sarah Cooksey. Also found a marriage between William Cooksey and Hannah Hurley at St Thomas, Dudley in 1828 and on the 1851 census a William and Hannah Cooksey living at Shidas Lane, Oldbury.

Hi Laura
Have been trawling through papers this afternoon, I'm sure I've spotted Ellen Selena Cooksey, shall investigate further.

I have noticed another member mentioning Christopher Cooksey, I'm certain this is the same gentleman who corresponded with my husband. His knowledge of the Cooksey's is amazing!
Hi - I've just emailed Christopher Cooksey so fingers crossed I can get the answers I need.

Hi very late joining this. My Great Grandmother was Edith Hannah Cooksey, siblings were many as her Dad Benjamin Cooksey married twice. This is the Benjamin that others have listed as marrying Catherine Orme, however he also married Annie Elizabeth Cooper also known as Bennett from a previous marriage and took on her Children too so he is hard to trace. 1883 they were in Brauston but by 1885 they were living in California Cottages in Stockton/Broadwell in Warwickshire. Edith Hannah married Frank Marsh (my great Granddad). The image attached is Edith.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220508-224225_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220508-224225_Gallery.jpg
    941.5 KB · Views: 1
Hiya - w
I have just looked again at the copy of the 1911 census form and it is not easy to distinguish the figure of children who have died, to me it looked to be three or possibly five.

I agree, I do not think the boatman John (listed on the 1911 census as Fish and Chip shopkeeper, and written above the entry boatman) is the family connected to Ellen Selina Cooksey for whom Laura is looking. I am still seeking information for Laura.
Hi - did you ever find anything out about Ellen Selina? We are still none of the wiser?

Here is a photo of the Wedding of Edith Hannah Cooksey, to Frank Marsh, she was eldest daughter of Benjamin Cooksey born 1857, I believe he was the Grandson of Hannah & William Cooksey. I have a lot of photos that were my Grandmothers, some must be Cookseys but Gran didn't mention them or the Boatman Heritage.

Attachments

• 20210815_180318.jpg
    20210815_180318.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
Hi very late joining this. My Great Grandmother was Edith Hannah Cooksey, siblings were many as her Dad Benjamin Cooksey married twice. This is the Benjamin that others have listed as marrying Catherine Orme, however he also married Annie Elizabeth Cooper also known as Bennett from a previous marriage and took on her Children too so he is hard to trace. 1883 they were in Brauston but by 1885 they were living in California Cottages in Stockton/Broadwell in Warwickshire. Edith Hannah married Frank Marsh (my great Granddad). The image attached is Edith.
There was actually a 3rd marriage which I had missed.

Back