• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cooksey Family--canal people.

J

johnstephens

Hi There.
Does anybody have any info on the following:-
William COOKSEY b 4 SEPT 1803 IN OLDBURY he M a Hannah ????? C1803
OLDBURY ????
He appears on the 1861 cesus at OFFCHURCH with Hannah and their son
Joseph (16). On the 1871 census Hannah is entered as Head of family ie
Widow. she I believe died in Daventry Dec 1881????????

JOSHUA COOKSEY b C1695 Buried 21 Feb 1729 IN Halesowen he M
MARY FOX 10 April 1721 in Halesowen. she B 1700 ?????

Regarda John

She is also in the 1881 Census as Captain (bargeman)

Name: Hannah Cooksey
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1809
Relation: Head
Where born: Oldbury, Staffordshire, England

Civil Parish: Hillmorton
County/Island: Warwickshire

Street address: "Juno" Crick Rd Wharf
Condition as to marriage: Windower (Widower)

Registration district: Rugby
Sub registration district: Crick
ED, institution, or vessel: 9

Hannah Cooksey 72
Benjamin Cooksey 23
Henry Anson 14

1871 Census
Name: Hannah Cooksey
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1806
Relation: Widow
Where born: Oldbury
Civil Parish: Birdingbury
Sub registration district: Dunchurch
ED, institution, or vessel: 1

Hannah Cooksey 65 Occupation Boatwoman
Joseph Cooksey 26
Benjaman Cooksey 13
Thomas Bromwich 18
Henry Kendall 13
John Sprag 28
Ester Sprag 23
Sarah Sprag 4
Mary Sprag 3
James Sprag 1
John Smith 14

1881 Census
Name: Joseph Cooksey
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1845
Spouse's Name: Louisa
Where born: Oldbury, Worcestershire, England

Civil Parish: Braunston
County/Island: Northamptonshire

Street address: Cross Lane
Condition as to marriage: Married

Registration district: Daventry
Sub registration district: Daventry
ED, institution, or vessel: 16

Joseph Cooksey 36
Louisa Cooksey 35
Albert W. Cooksey 9
Saml. Cooksey 7
George J. Cooksey 6
Alice Cooksey 4
Annie E. Cooksey 1

1891 Census

Relation: Master

Civil Parish: Nether Heyford
Ecclesiastical parish: Nether Heyford
Town: Nether Heyford

Registration district: Northampton
Sub registration district: Bugbrooke
ED, institution, or vessel: 4

Joseph Cooksey 46
Albert Cooksey 19
Samuel Cooksey 17
1901 Census
Spouse's Name: Sarah L

Civil Parish: Brentford
Ecclesiastical parish: St Paul
Town: Brentford
County/Island: Middlesex

Registration district: Brentford
Sub registration district: Brentford
ED, institution, or vessel: 35
Joseph Cooksey 56
Sarah L Cooksey 55
Albert W Cooksey 29
Rose A Cooksey 18
Agnes E Cooksey 15
Walter A Cooksey 13

1891 England Census
Benjamin Cooksey married Catherine Orme in 1882
Name: Benjamin Cooksey
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1858
Spouse's Name: Catherine
Where born: N, Tipton

Civil Parish: Braunston
Ecclesiastical parish: Braunston
Town: Braunston
Registration district: Daventry
Sub registration district: Daventry
ED, institution, or vessel: 16
Benjamin Cooksey 33
Catherine Cooksey 34
Edith Cooksey 7
Florence Cooksey 4
Sarah Cooksey 3
Alfred Cooksey 2
Alice Cooksey 3/12

1901 Census Looks like he was widowed because he is now married to Annie but the children are still there and the new wifes children the Bennetts are listed as STEPCHILDREN
Benjamin Cooksey married Annie Elizabeth Bennett in 1900
Name: Benjamin Cooksey
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1858
Spouse's Name: Annie E
Where born: Tipton, Staffordshire, England

Civil Parish: Leamington Hastings
Ecclesiastical parish: All Saints
Town: Broadwell

Sub registration district: Dunchurch
ED, institution, or vessel: 6
Benjamin Cooksey 43
Annie E Cooksey 37
Sarah J Cooksey 13
Alfred B Cooksey 12
Alice B Cooksey 10
Ethel B Cooksey 8
William G Bennett 15
Joseph C Bennett 12
Thomas C Bennett 13
Jakeman J Bennett 9
Theodore P Bennett 6

Hi Stepahead
In Australia
Many thanks for your repley. I have all of that, its the earlier details that I'm after:):)

i know this prob doesnt help but could this be an earlier child of theirs...

mary ann cooksey b. 25 dec 1825 oldbury worc.

father - william cooksey mother - hannah

hi Shera

Thanks for that, do you have any more info on Mary Ann.Regards John

Two more children baptised by William and Hannah Cooksey in Oldbury.

Sarah Cooksey christened 1st February 1935 Oldbury Worc.

Emma Cooksey christened 8th February 1842 Oldbury Worc.

Di Poppitt
Sorry if spelt name wrong.
Thanks for that post. John:D:D

i have some info on a Mary Cooksey, 14, Beresford Road, Oldbury, this would have been in 1915, so i'd say she was born about 1900-1901 is she of any interest to you?

Johnstephens,
When looking for the records of boat people,Braunston in Northamptonshire is a good starting point,the parish Church was a favourite place for boatmen's weddings,and the church still holds it's own records.
Shall have a look in Daventry churchyard,to see if there is a headstone for Hannah Cooksey.

Hi Ray
THANK YOU FOR YOUR POST.
Later in the year I intend to visit Brauston I will take time out to go to the Church and see what I can find. Also hope tha you can find Hannah's grave stone. Please let me know if you have any luck.
All the very best
John.;):):)

Hi Passerby.
Althrough I have a Mary Cooksey on my tree, infact 3.

1) Mary, bapt,17 June 1725, in Sedgley
2) Mary Anne, Bapt 25 Dec 1825. in Oldbury
3) Mary Born Dec 1898, in Kingston.

I dont think yours comes down my line. althrough I hav'nt, I must admit
any info on any of them other than what you see above.
Regards John

I am new to the forum so I hope I have the right place. I saw interest in Boat people and am looking for an Ellen Selina COOKSEY birth 1879. Her father was John COOKSEY a boatmnan. Ellen Selina is not in the GRO birth Index. The first record I have found of her is a Marriage of Ellen Selina to Walter DAY 1897 Birmingham. Is there some way to track births of boat people that may not be in the GRO, as I know they travel far and wide.
Ian COOKSEY. Newcastle NSW Australia.

Hi Ian and welcome to the forum.

I looked on the IGI, LDS site, and found this one

Ellen Cooksey, Christened 13 May 1879, Oldbury, Worcester
Parents : John & Ellen Cooksey.

It is odd in the fact that it doesn't state if this is an extracted record or submitted by an LDS member.
Oldbury at that time came under the registration district of Westbromwich, this could be her --

Ellen Cooksey 2nd qtr 1879 W.Bromwich Vol 6d Page 800

I am not sure as to the location of these records, boundaries in this area have changed a lot but my guesse would be either Staffordshire or because Oldbury is a bit further over, maybe Shropshire.

bren

Hi Ian

Been checking and it looks like the record for that birth is now held --

Superintendent Registrar, Sandwell Register Office, Highfields, High Street, West Bromwich, West Midlands, B70 8RJ, UK

You can order a copy of the birth certificate from here, cost £7:00, tell them you only want the cert if fathers name is John and his stated occupation is boatman

bren

Last edited:
Hi Ian, 1881 Census, what do you think --

Name:Ellen Cooksey
Estimated birth year:abt 1879
Relation: Daughter
Fathers Name: John
Mothers Name: Ellen
Civil parish: Oldbury
County/Island:Worcestershire
Street Address: Oldbury No 42 Eel St
Registration district: West Bromwich
Sub-registration district: Oldbury
ED, institution, or vessel:17
Household Members: Name Age
John Cooksey27 Boatman. All born Oldbury
Ellen Cooksey24
Ellen Cooksey2
Saml. Cooksey 4months

It says Eel Street here but looking at the image of the original it is hard to read what it says, having said that i have just looked at a modern map and lo and behold there is an Eel Street still there almost next to what i think is the "Birmingham Canal" in Oldbury

bren

Same family in 1891, has been mis-transcribed --

Name:Ellar Cooksey
Estimated birth year:abt 1880
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name:John
Mother's Name:Ellar
Where born:Oldbury
Civil parish:Oldbury
Ecclesiastical parish:Langley
Town:Oldbury
County/Island:Worcestershire
Street Address: 9 Portway Rd (Eel St runs off this road)
Registration district:West Bromwich
Sub-registration district:Oldbury
ED, institution, or vessel:17
Household Members:NameAge
John Cooksey
37 Boatman
Ellar Cooksey
Ellar Cooksey
Samuel Cooksey
Annie Cooksey
Eliza Cooksey

bren

Hi Bren, You certainly have been working on this family. Unfortunately, I am pretty sure it is the wrong family. I believe the Ellen you were tracking married Thomas EVANS 7th Jun 1897, in Oldbury. I have both a birth certificate Oldbury, and a marriage certificate for Ellen daughter of John and Ellen, Oldbury.
Ellen Selina is very frustrating, she was born the same year as Ellen, 1879, and she married the same year 1897. The marriage was in Birmingham. With help from a descendant I have managed to find her in 1901 and 1911 census, and finally found her death in GRO. I have sent away for the death certificate which I hope will help. What is even more confusing is the fact that Ellen of John & Ellen, Oldbury, was born, 25th April 1879. Ellen Selina according to her death record in GRO was born 21st April 1879. They are just too close, but I have two marriage certificates sitting right here in front of me. Just to confuse the issue a little more, the Ellen of Oldbury, was the daughter of John COOKSEY boatman, and on her marriage certificate her father is a "Chemical Worker".
I have been working on COOKSEY records for quite a few years now, and the first I ever heard of Ellen Selina was about a month ago. I am also in constant touch with Christopher COOKSEY who has been doing a one name study of COOKSEY for years, and between us have no records of Ellen Selina, until we got this marriage certificate.
I think I'd better stop here. Many thanks for what you have dug up. IAN.

Hello just came across this posting. William Cooksey and Hannah are my ancestors, but I am descended through there Son John Cooksey and his wife Hannah nee Timmins. I have some information on them if you'd like.

Hi Not sure if anyone is still looking at this post or interested. Ellen Selina Cooksey is my mother in laws nan on her dads side. I have more information including her death certificate and pictures is anyone is interested, although I still can't work out where she came from, especially as her 'parents' had another Ellen Cooksey a few months before her?

I am new to the forum so I hope I have the right place. I saw interest in Boat people and am looking for an Ellen Selina COOKSEY birth 1879. Her father was John COOKSEY a boatmnan. Ellen Selina is not in the GRO birth Index. The first record I have found of her is a Marriage of Ellen Selina to Walter DAY 1897 Birmingham. Is there some way to track births of boat people that may not be in the GRO, as I know they travel far and wide.
Ian COOKSEY. Newcastle NSW Australia.
Hi have you found anything else out about Ellen Selina Cooksey? She is my mother in laws nan on her dads side, however since I've started looking at their tree the dates don't add up for her. Her death certificate states she was born in Poplar, London and my mother in law and her brother remember her telling them stories about Jack the Ripper etc - however I can't find a birth certificate for her or anything else that relates to her? She did marry again to Samuel Millard however again I can't find a record for that either?

Laura Barker - daughter in law to Sandra Millard.

Her birth seems to be quite consistent, 1879 or 1880 on the censuses and 1939 register. Place of birth is listed as city of London on 1921 census.

On the 1911 census Ellen is with Samuel Millard and 3 children (Day). A marriage date is given (1898) which would seem to refer to Ellen's marriage to Walter Day. They may have misunderstood the question or deliberately gave a wrong answer.

There is a Walter Day (boatman) also listed on the 1911 census with wife Gertrude. Their marriage date is given as 1910 but there doesn't appear to be a marriage for them either.

So could it be that they split but didn't get a divorce?

Last edited:
1881 has the family
john Cooksey 27 Boatman
Ellen 24
Ellen 2
Samuel 4 months
says all born Oldbury

1911 Gt Barr street
Samuel Millard 31
Ellen 31 she says born Birmingham
Herbert Day 8
Rosey May Millard 5
Samuel G Millard 4 months

Herbert Day born april 29th 1902 . parents Walter Day, boatman and Ellen Selina. of 50 glover street
Rosie may Millard born May 12th 1905 parents Samuel Millard ,boatman and Ellen selina.of 54 glover street.

Ellen Selina married Walter Day and had two children by him and then was with Samuel Millard, no marriage details found, just the census to confirm this. Just trying to work out how she became part of the family as John and Ellen Cooksey had another daughter Ellen ( who went onto marry Thomas Evans) the same year as Ellen Selina joined them? On her death certificate it states born in Poplar London, but the Cookseys from what I can see have no connection to Poplar and the dates don't add up? As they were canal people maybe someone they knew didn't want a child? No left to ask in the family now I'm afraid either.

How do you know that she is the daughter of John & Ellen Cooksey and not the daughter of a different John Cooksey? There are not 2 Ellens on the 1881 census.

Admittedly it's a bit of a coincidence but they happen.

How do you know that she is the daughter of John & Ellen Cooksey and not the daughter of a different John Cooksey? There are not 2 Ellens on the 1881 census.

Admittedly it's a bit of a coincidence but they happen.
I don't - it's just as you say such a coincidence? The only documents that point her to Poplar, London are the 1921 census and her death certificate. Think it's just going to be one of those things that we may never find out?

It is a shame. Are there any other clues from her marriage - witnesses, address?

Perhaps she was 'adopted' by the Cookseys, which wouldn't help.

There is a birth reg in 1879 in Poplar of an Ellen Selina Williams. Could this be her with a later name change to Cooksey?

There is a birth reg in 1879 in Poplar of an Ellen Selina Williams. Could this be her with a later name change to Cooksey?
It certainly could be, although I've no way of confirming it? Think I've come to a dead end and may never find out? Thanks for your help though.

Back