• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Conway School Sparkbrook

BrianRM

Brummie babby
Hi,

My first posting on this forum!

When my grandfather, Robert Langshaw Smith, left the Army in 1907, he is supposed to have lived in Medlicott Road. He was apparently employed by Alfred Bird and lived in one of their houses but he does not appear in the electoral roll.

So, I hoped that the 1911 census would help, but the family had by then moved to Wolverhampton.

In 1907, he had three children, my mother and her brother and sister. I presume that they would have attended the nearest school that was in Conway Road. So far I can find nothing to lead me to the school records. I wondered whether it had always been called Conway school or has it had a change of name?

Or does anyone know whther the school records still exist and if so where (they do not appear on the list on the archives web site.)

Here's hoping.

BrianRM

BrianRM
Did yopur mother say which school she attended?
Gham

Hui Brian: I don't know about the school records or whether or not they exist for Conway Road School. Have you called the Birmingham Central Library?

If this is the school your Mom attended there is a bit here:

CONWAY GIRLS' COUNTY MODERN SCHOOL, Sparkbrook.(27) Conway Rd. Bd. Sch. opened 1900 by Birm. Sch. Bd.(21) Accom. 1,040 M, I.(1) The building was the first in Birm. to have special staff accom.(68) Reorganized 1930, 1932 for SG, JI. Altered and reorganized 1934 for SG.(21) Accom. for 1 class in Emmanuel Church Hall, Walford Rd., 1951–4. Name changed 1954.(28) N.o.b. 1961: 540.(27)
CONWAY ROAD SCHOOL. See Conway Girls. Cty. Modern Sch.

Hi Gham,

My mother was only 5 at the time and I don't think that she knew which school she attended until they moved to Wolverhampton.

Conway Primary School, as it is now called, seems to be the most likely option as Conway Road runs parallel to Medlicott Road.

BrianRM

Hi Jennyann,

Birmingham Library tell me that they have no records for a Conway School.

It is now called Conway Primary School on their web site, but when I called the school, the person I talked to knew nothing of its origins.

The school that you have identified seems to be the one that I have found on both an old map of the area and the modern A-Z although I am not sure what a "County Modern School" implied in 1900.

If it was a girls only school in the early 1900s, then I need to look for another school for my uncle. I am not sure where in the area that may have been.

BrianRM

Hi Brian: Thanks for the reply. No luck. Some vague references on this site to
several Victorian school buildings surviving in the Sparkbrook area. Even has a reference to Conway Road school being the first in Birmingham to have a Staff Room. You'll have to scroll down a bit on this very interesting siterun by Bill Dargue. They have a Feedback on their menu where you can ask questions.

The 1908 Kellys states that conway school was mixed and infants, so was not a girls only school
mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks.

After my last mailing, I found out what the abbreviations stood for !!! M for mixed, but why was it called Conway Girls' County Modern School? Was that a later title when reorganised in 1930?

Brian

Wish I had seen this thread earlier. I attended Conway Rd and in 1959 it was Conway Road Secondary Modern Girls School.

Tailoring classes for fourth year girls at the school in the 1950s. Viv.

image.jpeg
The text didn't come out legible so here's some names to faces

Left-hand image : Kathleen Walker of Lea Rd and Mabel White modelling "jigger" coats
Right-hand image :Betty Regan of 6 Laurel Ave modelling a red woollen cap, waistcoat and skirt
Stella Chinn of 19 Alfred St in a bottle-green gaberdine two-piece costume.
No names for the centre image.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    26.6 KB · Views: 9
My mother attended Conway Girls Preparatory School in early to mid 1960's. She was Head Prefect. It was girls only at that time.

My late Mum, born 1918, went to Conway Road School, I guess from 1929. She told me that she passed the scholarship, (11plus), but her widowed mum couldn’t afford to let her go to the grammar school. She considered herself fortunate to have gone to one of the early secondary modern schools. My late dad, born 1913, stayed at Golden Hillock elementary school until he left at 13/14 years old.

My mom born 1929, went to Conway Road School. I remember her telling me that the girls used to have to go to "a big house" to learn how to clean. This was one of the lessons.

My mom born 1929, went to Conway Road School. I remember her telling me that the girls used to have to go to "a big house" to learn how to clean. This was one of the lessons.
My mum did too, she said it was call housewifery. Just imagine if schools did this today!

I went to Golden Hillock SMB on a Monday afternoon we went to Conway road Girls School for dancing lessons.This was to prepare us for the joint leaving party.This would be 1960.

Back