• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Conway Berners Lee

Dennis Williams

Gone but not forgotten
Our next entry is one that has quite a story attached. I was first introduced to the main players by a good friend Aidan, who used to contribute some brilliant pieces on this Forum, but was banished for various reasons, but who then started his own quite successful Site of his own, to which a few of us on here also make contributions.
https://nonsequitur.freeforums.org/brum-beat-t50.html
https://nonsequitur.freeforums.org/the-streets-of-the-city-t55.html

One of his best pieces highlighted one of Birmingham’s most famous, most brilliant family; Conway Berners Lee, and his equally brilliant Brummie wife Mary Lee Woods. These were the parents of Tim Berners Lee, the man who is generally acknowledged to have given us the medium on which you are now reading this. The Wordwide Web no less. So they are the Mother and Father of the Father of the Internet! What a family.

Part 1.
Conway Berners-Lee‬

Conway Berners-Lee was born in Birmingham on 10 September 1921, and is a British mathematician and computer scientist who worked in the team that developed the Ferranti Mark 1, the world's first commercial stored program electronic computer, and is the father of Sir Tim Berners-Lee, the inventor of the World Wide Web.

icon_reimg_loading.gif
ConwayBerners-Lee1991.jpg

Early in World War II Berners-Lee had volunteered for the armed services, but he was re-directed to university because the government wanted people trained in mathematics and electronics. He went up to Trinity College, Cambridge in 1940 and read parts I and II of the mathematical tripos as a compressed two-year course. In addition, he attended a series of lectures in electronics. After university he had further training in electronic engineering and soon joined the army in the Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME). He worked on both Gun Laying and Searchlight Radar in England.

After the end of hostilities, Berners-Lee was posted to Egypt where he encountered Maurice Kendall's book The Advanced Theory of Statistics which greatly impressed him. He then had a chance to join the statistics bureau in the GHQ in Cairo, known as the Number 1 Statistics Unit of the Royal Army Ordnance Corps. He was employed to close down a very large punched card installation involving about five million 65-column punched cards covering all types of vehicle and spares. This meant that they had to say goodbye to 30 women who had been punching the cards. The last job was sorting and listing the 250,000 personnel cards to get all the service people onto ships for home. There was a race with the clerks doing this job by hand—and the clerks won over the machines.

Berners-Lee was demobilised in 1947 with the rank of Major. He then worked on a punched card data processing system for the Plastics Division of Imperial Chemical Industries (ICI).

He met his wife Mary Lee Woods at the Ferranti Christmas party in Manchester in 1952. She had been working as a programmer on the Ferranti Mark 1 and Mark 1 Star computers since 1951. In 1942-1944 Mrs Berners-Lee took a wartime compressed two-year degree course in mathematics at the University of Birmingham. She then worked for the Telecommunications Research Establishment at Malvern until 1946 when she returned to take the third year of her degree. She worked at the Mount Stromlo Observatory in Canberra, Australia from 1947 to 1951 when she joined Ferranti in Manchester as a computer programmer.

They were married on 10 July 1954 at St Saviour's Church, Hampstead.

The following is an extract from Dominic Wilson's book Organizational Marketing:
"In Manchester, nearly half the programmers were women, Conway Berners-Lee, who married one of them, said ‘Ferranti hired intelligent girls very cheaply but this gave them a big cultural problem because, prior to that, the company had only employed women as typists or factory hands’. ‘Men got more than women’, Mary Lee added. ‘It was grossly unfair and there was a rebellion. The personnel officer was shocked we'd even discussed our wages.’ She was on £400 a year. [Her starting salary was actually £450.] ‘The Tin Hut [where the programmers worked] marriage rate was high’, her husband said. ‘The Robinsons … the Bennetts … the Clarkes … us.’ [ ... ] Many of these pioneers had moved on to professorships, or stock options and top executive jobs. They'd been the culmination of a measured progress from military radar work to academia to commence, and the heroically named 'Pegasus’ computers had made Ferranti a lot of money.

In the 1950s it was not clear how computers could usefully be employed away from the field of mathematics. As well as Statistics, Berners-Lee had acquired a knowledge of Operations Research (OR), and he showed himself to be good at devising worthwhile computer applications. He directed the development of routines for the basic data processing techniques of sorting and updating files. In 1956 he devised an application for planning the production of items from a variety of components, for example animal feed products. In 1957 he published an article on machine loading. A report that he produced in 1964 listed 31 Ferranti projects that used OR techniques in a wide variety of businesses."

The business computing division of Ferranti was merged with International Computers and Tabulators (ICT) in 1963, and ICT was in turn merged with English Electric Leo Marconi (EELM) computers in 1968 to form International Computers Limited (ICL).
In 1960 Berners-Lee had evolved a technique for editing text—including hyphenation—for metal typesetting of printed material. As space in memory and backing store was a scarce and valuable resource in those days, he had also devised a procedure for compressing text which in 1963 he sent to Bob Bemer at Univac.
In the late 1960s Berners-Lee led the Medical Development Team of ICT and then ICL. He was involved in some of the earliest developments in the applications of computers in medicine, and his text compression ideas were taken up by an early electronic patient record system.

Berners-Lee spent the 1970s developing and using a queuing network model[10] for ICL's 'New Range' of computers (later the ICL 2900 Series) with Dr John Pinkerton who was responsible for optimising the price/performance of the new systems. It was known as FAST – standing for Football Analogy for System Throughput. The work done by each ‘player’ was derived from a system monitor file containing data for device and concurrency counts. He received much encouragement when Hughes and Moe at Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, predicted the effect of increasing the memory on their Univac Installation. The model could also be used to predict throughput on a minute to minute basis – peaks being believed to be due to instability in the operating system. He retired in 1986. I think he may be still alive?

Last edited by a moderator:
Part 2.

OK, so we have dad Conway and mom Mary Lee Woods, computer nerds of the highest order, and they begat Sir Timothy John "Tim" Berners-Lee, OM, KBE, FRS, FREng, FRSA, the acknowledged inventor of the Internet. Praise be to the Lord. Now listen to what Aidan wrote about it:

"English engineer and computer scientist, Sir Tim Berners-Lee had been involved much earlier - ENQUIRE, a database and software project he had built in 1980, was a simple hypertext program that had some of the same ideas as the Web and the Semantic Web.

First Internet Set-up

The name was inspired by a book entitled "Enquire Within Upon Everything" first published in 1856 by Houlston and Sons of Paternoster Square in London, and then continuously reprinted in many new and updated editions as additional information and articles were added. The book was created with the intention of providing encyclopedic information on a topics as diverse as etiquette, parlour games, cake recipes, laundry tips, holiday preparation and first aid:

"Whether You Wish to Model a Flower in Wax;
to Study the Rules of Etiquette;
to Serve a Relish for Breakfast or Supper;
to Plan a Dinner for a Large Party or a Small One;
to Cure a Headache;
to Make a Will;
to Get Married;
to Bury a Relative;
Whatever You May Wish to Do, Make, or to Enjoy,
Provided Your Desire has Relation to the Necessities of Domestic Life,
I Hope You will not Fail to 'Enquire Within.'

You can read a version of it at https://books.google.com/books?id=Mzc...page&q&f=false or, if you prefer at https://www.archive.org/stream/enquir.../n3/mode/thumb

Although "Enquire Within Upon Everything" was published into the 1930s I believe, the advice may need to be taken with a pinch of salt:

1285 Mad Animals, Bite of -…..Tie a string tightly over the part cut out the bite and cauterize the wound with a red hot poker, lunar caustic, or Sir Wm Burnett's Disinfecting Fluid. Then apply a piece of “spongio piline”, give a purgative and plenty of warm drink. Whenever chloroform can be procured sprinkle a few drops upon a handkerchief and apply to the nose and mouth of the patient before cauterizing the wound. When breathing appears difficult cease application of the chloroform(!). A physician writing in the Times urges this course and states that there is no danger with ordinary care in application of the chloroform while cauterization may be more effectively performed.

As the inimitable Slim Pickens as Major T. J. "King" Kong said in "Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb": "Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff"

The Thylacine (also banished) then butted in with:

Thanks for this interesting thread Aidan, and for adding to my knowledge of Birmingham mathematicians (of which the modest gentleman is one hisself!).

TimBL's mother Mary Lee Woods was one of a very small group indeed of female mathematicians of her generation. There are, however, quite a number of female computer pioneers, starting with the remarkable Augusta Ada King née Byron, Countess of Lovelace (1815-1852), the world's first computer programmer.

There appears to be some doubt as to Mary Lee Woods's birthplace, though she was certainly educated in Birmingham. Her parents were Bertie John Woods and Ida Frances Lee Burrows. Can anyone find a picture of Mary Lee Woods?

Getting back to the Internet of the 1850s, it is a remarkable fact that the book Enquire Within by Robert Kemp Philp (1819-1882) is available on the latter day Internet in multiple e-text versions. The earliest I have been able to discover is an American edition: Inquire Within For Anything You Want To Know (New York: Dick and Fitzgerald, 1859), in which my eye was caught by the following article:

Advice to Young Ladies.

"If you have blue eyes, you need not languish. If black eyes, you need not stare. If you have pretty feet there is no occasion to wear short petticoats. If you are doubtful as to that point, there can be no harm in letting them be long. If you have good teeth, do not laugh for the purpose of showing them. If you have bad ones, do no laugh less than the occasion may justify. If you have pretty hands and arms, there can be no objection to your playing on the harp if you play well. If they are disposed to be clumsy, work tapestry. If you have a bad voice rather speak in a low tone. If you have the finest voice in the world, never speak in a high tone. If you dance well, dance but seldom. If you dance ill, never dance at all. If you sing well, make no previous excuses. If you sing indifferently, hesitate not a moment when you are asked, for very few people are judges of singing, but everyone is sensible of a desire to please. If you would preserve beauty, rise early. If you would preserve esteem, be gentle. If you would obtain power, be condescending. If you would live happy, endeavour to promote the happiness of others."

I don't think modern knowledge can add much to this advice, except perhaps to extend it equally to young gentlemen.
icon_e_wink.gif

Part 3

Not much is known about the Berners-Lee's early life in Birmingham. I have no idea of exactly where Conway was born in Brum, and not much is known about Mary Lee Woods either, although I think Lloyd may well have tracked her down to Small Heath..?

Sir Tim is quite vague about his parents Brummie connection, as he showed in this interview with Dan Morrow of Computerworld:

DSM: I would like to begin by asking you to identify yourself formally for the record and tell us when and where you were born.
TBL: I am Timothy Berners-Lee. I was born in London in 1955.
DSM: And your parents, can you tell us about your father and mother?
TBL: My father is Conway Berners-Lee. He was born in Birmingham, I guess they were both born in Birmingham. They certainly lived in Birmingham. He was born in 1921. My mother Mary Lee Woods didn’t know when she was born that she was going to marry somebody who had Berners-hyphen-Lee as a second name.
Tim Berners-Lee

DSM: So she was Mary Lee Woods-Lee?
TBL: She was Mary Lee Berners-Lee. And when they were around mathematicians she was referred to as sometimes as Mary Lee Berners-Lee squared.
My father studied math at Charter House at boarding school, and then at Trinity-Cambridge.

DSM: So he was 18, would have been about 18, 19 when the Second World War broke out. Was he touched by the war?
TBL: Yeah, he was involved in it. He was largely an engineer. He was in Egypt at one point. He was in England. Well he was involved in radar, keeping radar working with strings of anecdotes about going around on a motorbike trying to find things that had gone wrong with cables and wires and things. And my mother worked at the Radar Research Establishment at Movern. So I was surprised when I started taking up electronics. I started soldering things and she caught me running from the kitchen one time and sort of pulled me back. She found out I had a soldering iron; I had repaired the flex, had a little piece of tape around it and she pulled me back and said, “What have you done there?” And she said, “Look, let me show you how to do this. This is how you do this. You use some of that, and keep these apart, and you take this off like this, take this off like this. And you don’t need any of this stuff.” (Laughs) I have done a little electronics in my time.
DSM: Your mother had a degree in mathematics?
TBL: In math and geography I think.
DSM: Very unusual for a woman of that generation.
TBL: I think she pushed the limits on being a woman in that generation in mathematics, and in a lot of other ways.

This is a post on the Thread by Thylacine talking to Lloyd:

There is a birth registration for a Mary L Woods 2nd quarter 1924 Kings Norton vol 6d page 196. Not conclusive I know, but there are a few Mary Woods entries for about then.

Her father Bertie John Woods is in the 1911 census as a single 30 year old elementary school teacher at 5 Farley Street Leamington, with father John Henry Woods, 56, a Great Western engine driver (there's the steam element!) born Trowbridge, Wiltshire; mother Fanny Eliza Woods (nee Jenkins,52) born Chippenham, Wilts., they married 2nd q.1878 Highworth [district], Wilts.

There are a few siblings as well, Mabel Elizabeth (28), a domestic nurse born (as was Bertie) Swindon, Wilts; Arthur Thomas (26), an Ironmonger born Oxford; and Harold Albert Edward (14), a scholar born Birmingham.

There is also John Henry's grandson Ernest Jack Woods, born 1910, but the children listed are all single. The original 1911 document says that 7 children were still living of 8 born to John and Fanny, though, so he could be the son of an absent child.

The marriage of Conway M Berners-Lee and Mary L Woods is registered at Hampstead, Middlesex 3rd quarter 1954 vol 5c page 1925, and birth of son Timothy J Berners-Lee 2nd q.1955, Pancras (London) vol 5d page 521.

Thanks for that research, Lloyd. Wikipedia gives Mary Lee Woods's date of birth as 12 March 1924, which is close to "2nd quarter 1924".
In the 1901 census the Woods family are at 78 Whitmore Road, (right of the Ivy growth!) which runs between Coventry Rd and Glovers Rd, so it is likely that father John worked from Tyseley Loco Depot at the time. (Steam AND a Birmingham connection now, as all 7 children are with them.)

Any further post 2010 research would be very nice...pretty please...?

And a huge round of applause and Muntz medal for you three for highlighting a light that has hidden beneath a bushell for too long...brilliant work.

Births Dec 1921
Conway M B Lee mmn Gray King's N. 6d 158
Possible marriage of parents?
Marriages Sep 1920
Cecil B Lee married Helen Lane Campbell Gray Walsall 6b 1935
This couple lived at 227a Hagley Rd in 1927

Back