• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Contact with another researcher via Ancestry

davidfowler

Exiled Brummie
Not sure where to have posted this. I found someone who had the same research as me for one of my surname interests but their tree was marked "Private". So I sent a personal message to them asking if I could have a look at his tree and that he could look at mine as it's "Public".
This is his reply, just wondered what you think.

" I see your public tree containing ******, however we appear to approach Ancestry from differing directions. I have a record based research project creating family units by systematically allocating every census record.

Since Ancestry is a Name/County based search engine, every place name in my tree is in the correct format: Parish, County, Country
Not one of yours has a county in their place of birth/death.
You also include street addresses, which should properly be in the description box of the record.

There are large numbers of people in your tree without even a birth/death place, a very bad situation, and very few records per head.

No doubt you are a do it your own way merchant, but Ancestry is designed to be an information exchangable media, why not use the correct formats? So that people receiving hints, do not need to correct them on arrival.

I am happy to send you any information I have, but would prefer it to be used properly.

So you can either tell me to get lost, or decide to improve your standards, the choice is yours."

Is it just me or?????

Hi David,

It seems that your fellow researcher is a bit of a nerd. I would tell him to get lost or just ignore him altogether. We all have our own way of doing things If he is so proud of his way why does he not go public so that we can all enjoy it?

Old Boy

Well David it takes all sorts I suppose I found his reply quite amusing coming from a pompous self opinionated .... and I for one would not give him the time of day

I understand what he's saying but what's that got to do with you having a butchers at the data?

I like to keep the format correct on ancestry, but sometimes you can only get 'so much' information.

Worst case scenario is that you import some of his tree into your tree thereby making more records in ancestry the way he wants them, there is no insistence that he has to import you data, however he deems it.

As Dek says, pompous. He should keep his data offline if sharing with the unwashed is a crime

Not really in the true spirit is it? We all approach things in different ways, hence what makes life interesting. I wonder if he understands the concept of 'work in progress' which most genealogy is by its very nature. Viv.

ok wheres my hammers...what a charming reply david....as to what do i think of it....not a lot..

lyn

Last edited:
Tell him if he wants you to "improve your standards" he's barking up the wrong tree:)

I don't store my tree online as I like to add my own comments to print-outs, and also because there are some complicated bits I just find it easier to write it down. I do try to help people who are related

but some are more concerned with gathering up the "best bits" and making up stories to fill out their tree. I do have Certificates for proof, and Library research, so I do object when they insist they are

right!! One person was not sure which woman gt gt Grandfather married so she made up a name from all three!! I have all three Certificates and forwarded the information but the person still insists

she's right. On the other side of the coin is a lady in Australia who not only was grateful for the information, but also offered to research another branch of the Family for me. Just because this man has

a private tree doesn't make it correct, and maybe another one will appear by someone who is more pleasant!!!

rosie.

Thanks everyone, I didn't want to state my opinion on my original post but I'm happy that everyone seems to have the same opinion as me. BTW his profile on Ancestry confirms he has his head firmly up his you-know-what!
As some have suggested, I'm ignoring him!

Pherhaps his tree is kept "Private" because it's as full of Bovine manure as his head obviously is!

Please do let him know that i have soft spot for him, and it's near a big tree. My shovel is in the car ready and willing!!!

Key Hill Brian

Ha Ha love your answer Brian. I have come across a couple of researchers like this and it's so pompous and silly as it puts new researchers off trying to do their tree on line. I have a tree on Ancestry which is open to all. I like to include as much info as possible to help others who may be researching the same family. I have another more personal one on my own FTM which I put more family info on and more recent information. I am still of the opinion history is for all and should be shared. I include my tree in this which has taken several years of research. I include certificates which will help others and save money. I get a lot of help in return including photo's and certificates. I have a few distant cousins who I email regularly just for a chat. One sent me some beautiful tatted (like lace) snowflakes for Christmas all the way from the US. To all new family tree researchers please don't be put off David's experience most people are there to help and like me are happy to share information. We all make mistakes it's part of the fun. The way I look at it if anything happens to me my tree will always be there for others.

He sounds a real Pratt (you never know that might appropriately be his name). I wonder how his "correct " system deals with cases where the couny changes three times . His Lord & Master , Ancestry, make a real Cod's ear of that situation sometimes

Cannot understand him, I am on Ancestry and I am overjoyed when I find information from other users, I have all my birth,deaths,and marriage Certificates scanned into my public Family History and anyone is welcome to take any info the need, In this day and age it is expensive to research, so me saving others time and money, good luck to them I say. if I find someones birth Certificate Scanned and I can add it to my own tree then they have saved me a tenner god bless them !!. Good God what a world we live in
Dave

Well, he sounds a right pompous git if you will excuse the expression. I also have a private tree (several to be exact) and if anyone wishes to see mine, I explain that not every little detail is in there, because I don't always want to finish compiling my tree when I have spare time. I do a bit here and a bit there. Also this rude chap assumes that when you know a person's birthplace, you don't necessarily know their place of death - I hafe several ancestors who have seemingly fallen off the planet, so what would he make of that.

He is obviously Mr Perfect, but like most of us, he probably makes mistakes, but I am sure would never admit it. Best left well alone, methinks.

You always get one don't you? And he really seems to take the biscuit.
My tree on Ancestry is public but really would upset him as I have not imported much onto it yet, am doing the basic research before deciding which certificates I need to buy, but anyone is welcome to share what I have.
I found a 2nd lot of Australian rels through my tree and keep n touch with them now and they have given me extra info to help my research.
So I would say leave him to his self-righteous little world and make the most of the people who want to help!
Sue

Just had to say I read this thread whilst laughing my head off! Worra pompus git!!!
I use Ancestry and my trees are private but I gladly give info that I have found, whether their trees are tidy or not! LOL
A lot of the time those I share with haven't got much info/data but they can pass on a lot of family stories which enriches my research!
Good on you Dave for ignoring him!

I have posted on this somewhere before but I came upon the same sort of arrogance but in person not online.

Many years ago when I first started my tree I used to go to Stafford records office to trawl through the parish records.

My family name is Brough, a line that originated in the Staffs moorlands.

I carried file with the Brough crest on it.
The Latter Day Saints(Mormons) who own Familysearch go through all parish records to use 'extracted' entries for their site and on one particular day an American couple approached me.
The man asked if it was the Brough crest on my file ,when I said Yes he asked if I had permission from the Brough Society to research the name .
I showed him a card with my name on (my second christian name is Brough) told him I was born in the moorlands and as there is no reason why anyone cannot research any name they want in this country, and said if his name wasn't Brough he might like to 'do one'

I later looked up the Brough association online, they are based in USA, and they sold a book of BMDs from before 1837 so I decided to buy it.
I emailed ,gave them my full name and my birthplace.
When I received the book it had a covering letter to explain that there was a Richard Brough whose birth had been found in the 17th century but no other information, this was a missing link in the Brough family and on no account if I found this person was I to share the info but to send it to them as it was the sole right of the
Brough Ass. to do so.
My ambition has been to find him and put him in my very public tree.

Why people would want to keep their tree private except for the later years when it contains living people, (and you can make that Private anyway,)
is a mystery to me surely genealogy is for sharing as this forum demonstates very well.

Last edited:
Alberta I can easily tell you why I have made my trees private. I perhaps sounds mean, but I am happy to share with people who are genuinely interested, and have a proper claim to anyone in it. Some years ago now, on Genes Reunited, I was contacted by someone who is linked to me, via my gt grandmother. My great grandmother was called Isobel and this lady I am referring to is related to Isobel via her mother. A distant link, as you can see. I thought she would just use the Hollis side of my tree (Isobel was a Hollis), but I found she had 'stolen' all of my tree - including lines she is not even remotely conntected to. She was simply trying to obtain numbers!

I had no objection to her having my father's side of the tree, but taking all my mother's side too, seemed slightly odd to put it mildly. That is the only reason I have made my tree private and now I have my new FHM software, I am keeping all trees separate so that it cannot happen again. Once the tree building has finished (12 years and counting to write down) , I may link those to Ancestry but not until I have finished, therefore eliminating the possiblity of someone else doing similar.

Perhaps this sounds mean? I would be interested in what others think about this.

Shortie

I've got my tree as private for quite a few reasons, the main one is some older rellies told me stories in confidence & I feel I need to respect that. Another is being "bitten" by a person who was very distantly related on a side branch who copied my tree holus bolus family photos and stories and all onto his tree, he seemed to want to have the largest tree on Ancestry. Also I've spent a lot of time & money over a good few years trawling through micro film and micro fiche, sending for certificates and service records etc & all the CDs & subscriptions.
Don't get me wrong I love to share, but on my terms!
I'm always careful to ask permission to use any info I come across on other trees too!
I just read what Shortie posted as I was typing - I'm not the only one to get my fingers burnt!

Interested to read the last too posts, I didn't realise that people felt like that.

IMHO, history should be readily accessable and if you don't want it used then don't post it, which you have correctly done by making it private. If someone wants a tree with a gazillion people on it then good luck to them and if I can help them reach that goal then I have no issue with that.

I have put thousands of hours into my tree and have it publically available, if someone wants to use it then that's what it's there for. Photographs, certificates, stories, there is nothing there that is 'private', and I understand that people would want / need to keep that to themselves. Personally I won't take others trees blindly, I'll use them to start me off on another branch and get 'digging'

If I thought that the time I have spent researching my family should be limited to my own use then I would not even have a tree on ancestry, I would use the site and populate an offline copy that I could share with close relatives without the need for public / private trees.

By sharing, I believe we encourage others to share, and there will always be the numpty who is 'anal' about the font size and use of counties. But where in life do we not find these people. Interesting to see that some think that using others trees as being 'bitten', I have never thought of it like that.

Well said Dashers,

although new to Family tree - started 390 years ago, sgtopped 29 years ago, restarted over a year ago, but only now and than. I have been helped by a distant cousin who has 26,600+ on his public tree (He has kept going over the 30 years!), but have only copied a tiny portion applicable to my direct line, although I want to confirm the data myself with Certs as & when. I also have added some new parts, finding unknown children who hav have not survive a census, and freely make it publis to return the favours.
As you say, if you want it a secret - why even post it showing it as "Private", keep it in the dark wituncder your own bushell at home on your PC.
However, life is about helping and sharing - It's better to give than to receive.
You can always rest happy that what you have given uis accurate, but unless confirmed, take stuff as unproven - a job for later verification.

I have had freely exchanaged copies of Certs with Relatives, and each one save us both £9 + travelling!

I have also borrowed off trees, but found it to be incorrect, but at least it got me started on a branch - it's easy to delete ther wrong 'uns!

Brian

Brian, that is one of the drawbacks of sites with facilities to post your family tree,others with the same tree get it wrong ,very often.
I used to subscribe to Genes and saw quite a few trees which included my great grandfather almost all of them had him married on various dates/years all of which were incorrect( I have his original marriage certificate)
I contacted the tree owners but see that most of them have not corrected their error.

Shortie , I know what you mean, I have put a lot of time and effort ,and yes expense into some of my entries and it is infuriating when some uses them 'as their own'but if some one wants to nick them at least I know the information is perfectly correct,LOL

I don't bother with private tree's on Ancestry and like Brian wonder why people put them on. Why not just use a program on your own computer. Most private tree owners have contacted me and I just say take what you want my tree is open. I have a few family members who love to share like me and we do it through email. I like to check that the info on other tree's I may have a connection to and can only do this if the tree is open. There are name collectors on all these sites but they don't bother or interest me and as Alberta says at least the info is correct. I expect no one will be interested in my tree anyway when I am not arround...lol This hobby and I repeat hobby should be fun and open to all not just so called intellectuals.

I think the guy should get the response he deserves, for being so darned rude.
My tree is public on Ancestry, but I'm considering making it private after a number of people have 'lifted' photos and anecdotes without even contacting me to say hello - then ignoring my messages to get in touch as we both may have info to share. I know my info is on a public tree and there for all to share, but what happened to manners? If I find information or photos on someone else's tree I always contact them first to ask if they mind me using it.
The fellow would have apoplexy if he saw my tree - I tend to put all sorts of thoughts and comments which may help later research.

I use Ancestry but there is another person who lives not in the UK that used any info I put on and puts it into their own tree. They do have an ancestor with the same name as mine, but looking at their tree it is not the same person. They have even used my grandfathers/grandmothers photos on their tree. I have emailed them and told them they have the wrong people, but to no use.

Back