• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
I live in the St Agnes Road conservation area, and have to say it is one of the best things the resents did. There are some very beautiful houses in the area, including the home of Joseph Lucas.

Something had to be done as some people were damaging and demolishing some of our architectural heritage at a frightening rate.

There was a house near me that was built in the style of Charles Rennie Mackintosh, with a renascence Mackintosh font on the date stone and the small square windows on the ground floor, just like the Willow Tea room in Glasgow.

Unfortunately, the current owners did a job on the windows and front garden that Barry Bucknell would have been proud of. The windows were ripped out and the front garden turned into a wall to wall car park with concrete black pavers and walls, just before the conservation area came into force.

hi mort...could you point me in the direction of the home of joseph lucas...did not know about this one

lyn

Certainly lyn, I cant remember the number. think its 5, I will check for you.

thanks mort i take it its st agnes road we are talking about...does the house have a blue plaque up ??

lyn

I remember seeing a Blue Plaque for Joseph Lucas birth place in the Jewelry Quarter, searching on the web The Mosely History Society have been born in Camden St, the Civic Society have a plaque erected in CARVER St Hockley, see attached pic, i tend to think that the Blue Plaque guys have it correct.Lucas, Carver St.jpg However, on doing a Google St walk, i cant find the sign ! much of Carver St being decimated with building/demolition work. I do hope the plaque is still there !!!

hi ivor yes there was a plaque in carver st i saw it couple of years back..have a feeling its been taken down due to the recent demo of some of the buildings..i was researching my gt gt grandparents who were neighbours of joseph lucas in 1871 so would most likely have known him so i did a bit of research on joseph..unless the civic society obtained his birth cert i am not so sure that he was actually born in carver st as stated on the plaque...i have him aged 7 on the 1841 living in gt hampton row..on the 51 he is at gt king st...on the 61 and 71 he is with his wife and children in carver st..will try and get down there today for a better look..

Last edited:
Remember that I said Joseph Lucas lived in St Agnes Road, I have no idea where he was born. There was a training facility at the house, and I have a feeling that there was some kind of college on Wake Green Road associated with Joseph Lucas , nearby.

thanks mort i will do a bit more research when i have time..mr lucas has grabbed my attention once again

lyn

Last edited:
Think the Carver Street plaque was/is on a building that became a restaurant or bar at some stage called "Bakkavour" or "Three Star House" Viv

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    59 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    19.1 KB · Views: 6
thanks viv i am going down there later to see if the plaque is still there but i still think it is wrong as i have found the birth entry for joseph lucas on ancestry and its saying he was born on 1.1.1834 in tower st parents sarah and charles (jeweller) (not carver st as stated on the plaque) tower st ties in nicely with him being on the 51 census round the corner in gt hampton row and then the 61 living in gt king st...i am have to double check all this info of mine..

Last edited:
Hi Lyn " Bakkavour" was a frozen food co. But on Google search it's listed as 86 Carver St which seems to have now been demolished. So it's anybody's guess where it was on Carver st. The Blue Plaque listing tells us it was on 34 Carver St. Good luck with your reccie! Viv

Lyn
Where on Ancestry did you find his birth date and place?. I assume the Plaque reference to Carver st is from Harold Nockolds' book "Lucas .the First Hundred Years". He found a (presumed) younger brother ,Benjamin, born on 15th April 1838 at Carver st , where Joseph was living when married. his father was Benjamin Lucas, plater & mother Catharine, previously Ball, and they lived at Dingley's buildings, Carver St. Apparently Joseph later described his father as a plater, and Nockolds made the, quite reasonable, assumption that this was the family and details were the same

Last edited:
According to Wikipedia the Carver Street plaque was on a factory building. The photo on there looks like a red brick building. It looks like modern brick so I doubt it's been demolished. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 5
If the plaque was on 34 Carver Street there was an application to demolish the building, but permission was given to demolish only part of the building in August 2015. This could be the building surrounded by scaffolding. Maybe the plaque was removed while building work was undertaken. Or maybe it's hidden by scaffolding. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 5
hi mike i was following the wrong one..there are 2 joseph lucas both born 1834:rolleyes:

i have found his marriage to emily in 1854..father benjamin plater and mother catherine..
also found his baptism..born 12th april 1834 bapt in 1835 father benjamin silver plater...the address given is kenion st...just one thing still baffles me and that is how did the civic society find out that he was born in carver st as there were no birth certs in 1834...in 1841 joseph was living with parents and siblings in bath st

obviously the 1861 and the 71 census are correct..he was living there with wife emily and children...thanks mike i would rather be wrong than to follow a red herring lol

viv been down today and the building that the plaque was on has been demolished and a new build is going on...like i said i saw it a couple of years back but i assume it has now been removed..

lyn

Last edited:
Hopefully Lyn the plaque has been deposited somewhere safe while the building work takes place.

On the conservation issue, looking at Carver Street as just one example (it's on the list) it dies make you wonder whether designating an area as Conservation Area status has much in the way of teeth. Carver Street seems to be a right old mish-mash of buildings, demolition and vacant sites. Viv.

Back