• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Coniston Avenue, Sheldon In Ww2

ChrisM

Super Moderator
Staff member
We are standing on the driveway of 45 Coniston Avenue, Sheldon. It is almost certainly a day in 1944.

Waving to us, across a bit of pavement and 73 years, is an American G.I., sitting in the sidecar of a Home Guard despatch rider. The Despatch Rider himself is Rex G. Owen and it is probably Mrs. Owen who is holding the camera. The Owen family were very generous in throwing open their doors to overseas servicemen in the area, especially Americans, Canadians and Belgians. They would come in ones or twos, perhaps for 48 hours or so, to enjoy the comforts of home.

Chris
(Source: The Owen family archive via the staffshomeguard website, Warks/Birmingham/Sheldon section)

BirminghamDRs5web1000.jpg

This is the view which the G.I. would have had, if the photo had been taken at the same time (which it obviously wasn't).

Rex G's wife Flo and their son Rex. 45 Coniston Avenue. How COLD the house looks........

(Source: The Owen family archive via the staffshomeguard website, Warks/Birmingham/Sheldon section)

BirminghamDRs10adjw1000.jpg

Back