• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Congreve Street

I wonder if it is artistic licence? I note the corner of the Town Hall and Christchurch in the painting, also a tea rooms? opposite the Town Hall. Nice picture anyway.

Below is a map showing Convgreve Passage (the red line with pointers at each end) pretty much as it is now.

When finished it will be pedestrian only.

For a number of years the council have been trying to make it easier for pedestrians to get from the city centre to the Jewelery Quarter but Great Charles Street presents something of a barrier (for years the council have been trying to get money off the government to lower Great Charles St to meet the tunnels at either end).

So a couple of years ago they created a pedestrian crossing over Great Charles St (shown by the green line with arrows at each end in the image below).

This will allow people walk from the city centre / Victoria Square area, along Congreve Passage, over the crossing, AND up to the Jewelery Quarter.

There is of course another crossing over Great Charles St at Newhall Street, plus a pedestrian bridge over Great Charles St near Church St / Ludgate Hill.

A lot of people don't realise another way to get to the Jewelery Quarter is to come out the REAR entrance of Snow Hill station that comes out a Livery Street. I think many people don't even realise there IS a rear exit at Snow Hill station as I am often the only person who uses it when I visit the area by train.

Congreve.JPG

Below, rear exit from Snow Hill station in Livery Street

Station.JPG

Last edited:
Possibly not Alan. Went back a bit further. The 1868 directory gives Joseph Gosling, butcher, at 15 Congreve St, the site of which would later be part of the Council house.. At that time Slater & co, sewing machine manufacturers, were in Tennant St. The next directory I have (1972, Gosling has gone, and William Capsey is a butcher at no 15. Thomas Slater & Co, manufacturers of the "Little wonder sewing machines both sides alike.£3.3" just round the corner at 18,19 Edmund St. The exact years that this refers to are uncertain at this date - it could be 1 or 2 years earlier than publicatio. However it is possible that between the 1868 and 1872 directories, Slaters moved to congreve St but shortly after decamped to nearby Edmund st when they learned , possibly before the official 1871 announcement. that the council definitely were going to build offices on the site

Should have added that the Birmingham daily mail began in 1870, so, if it is not artistic licence, then it would be 1870-71. When a paper is started it would be expected thatb there would be a lot of posters posted displaying the product . Should add that the (London) Daily Mail was founded in 1890s. long after the council house was built, so could not be the paper displayed

That’s interesting Mike, thanks. So the painting could well have been a response to the Council House development - the realisation by the artist that this Birmingham view was about to significantly change. Thanks all. Viv.

This has brought to mind an earlier post of mine (post 19 at https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/street-views-of-birmingham-c-1870.41158/ ) of a view of Congreve st at around that time. A better resolved version is below

panoramic view birm 3 .  congreve  St_.jpg

Some of the names are different, but you will notice towards the left t, as in the painting.he lowish building with two tall chimneys that has a single storey building to the left (Slaters in painting) and a taller three storey building to the right,. To the left of that is Goslings, while to the right of the three storey building is a coffee merchants, which also fits with the painting
Note: you will have to sav ethe panorama and then look at it to see the details

Thanks Mike. That also answers a question I had about whether it was Ann Street behind the buildings to the right and running down the side of Christ Church. Ann Street is one of those old streets that I find can be confusing, as although some of Ann St became Colmore Row, some disappeared under the Council House - well as I understand it, hopefully correctly !

Viv.

That also answers a question I had about whether it was Ann Street behind the buildings to the right and running down the side of Christ Church.
Viv.
The castellated building to the right is the corner of Congreve Street and Ann Street. At one time this housed Allin's Cabinet of Curiosities, a typical commercial urban exhibition building in the pre-museum era.

Thanks Mike. That also answers a question I had about whether it was Ann Street behind the buildings to the right and running down the side of Christ Church. Ann Street is one of those old streets that I find can be confusing, as although some of Ann St became Colmore Row, some disappeared under the Council House - well as I understand it, hopefully correctly !

Viv.
Viv
I dont think an appreciable amount of Ann st was beneath the council house. Ann st curved down at the end across what is now Victoria Square, away from the council House

map c1839 junc ann st and congreve st.jpg

A drawing from c1870 made by Clement Selkirk Jones. Congreve Street is to the left and Ann Street to the right. Viv.
This is earlier than 1870 as the last business here was Bryan's pastry shop. Next door is the former White Lion which became the Town Hall Tavern. The inn sign suggests it is trading as the White Lion here so it is quite a bit earlier.

I believe the drawing post #41 was made c1870 but depicts an earlier period. Viv.

One of the other things I don't like in these acres of concrete is the ability to get well wet when it is raining. The city must now be a nightmare for taxi drivers. The old BCT Head Office on the left, and last time I went past that way at least eight years ago it was something to do with race relations.

Maurice :cool:

Personally I think the building now in the position of the former brutalist Central Library is an improvement. Thanks for the update Ell.

Viv

No problem Viv. It's been many years waiting for it to reopen. You can walk to the Jewellery Quarter without having to go through subways. Although the Livery Subway is still at the other end of Great Charles Street Queensway near Snow Hill Station.

Thanks Ell. I think that’s great that you can get across to JQ. About time Birmingham was a bit more ‘joined up’ and accessible between key places of work/interest, especially for visitors too. Viv.

Crossed the footbridge again over Great Charles Street Queensway, and was still a bearded man sitting at one end with his dog. I thought during the pandemic that the Council was supposed to put rough sleepers into hotels. Wonder what the council plans to do with that bridge in the future? As it's close to the Queensway tunnel entrance and you can't have a pelican crossing near that part.

That bridge is just having to stay. There is no way that it can be closed off and another route found as the only alternatives are the Newhall Street crossing up a steep hill and St Chad's Circus under the railway tunnel.

Post copied from the Buildings of Birmingham thread.

Congreve Street and Ann Street, 1869

TheBuildingsofBirmingham008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Further to all the help I have had with this query I am tempted to think the most likely was the White Horse in Congreve St. Although it isn't that close to Smethwick and Birmingham Heath, it would have been convenient for my 2 x great grandfather. More often than not he was making a journey from Halifax to Warwick which he did regularly to visit various farms around there buying wool. In the early days of the diaries he goes by coach - latterly by train via Manchester to Birmingham and in both cases Congreve St. would presumably have been convenient as a place to stay en route. My original thought was that he would have stayed close to his uncle but visits to uncle would presumably not have been as important as being close to the trains and coaches seeing that he was just passing through.

Does anyone know if there are photos of the White Horse - I understand that there isn't even a Congreve Street any longer but that it was roughly where Congreve Place is today.

Thanks again for all your help
Kind regards,
Dick
There is a photo here of the White Horse, Congreve street

Post copied from Carter’s White Horse thread.

This, I think is a better one

City%20White%20Horse%20.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A nice description of Congreve Street using Tarlington’s painting of 1875 and a photo from early 1900. If anyone has a colour copy of the painting or a better copy of the photo I’d be interested to see them. Thanks. Viv,

Source: British Newspaper Archive

04E74258-52FB-4F94-9717-03D679D2CE8F.jpeg

B21AC3CB-0007-4656-BA25-4C68F11427B6.jpeg1875C939-DEE9-452A-909B-D6988236F415.jpeg0A08D413-911B-4F92-97AE-AA9686DFA1CB.jpegDB9F3085-12BA-462D-AEE8-D3D16D0E7022.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s great Mike thanks. I remember the watercolour being posted somewhere on here but couldn’t find it. It’s one of those views that when first looked at is so difficult to place. Viv

The present day view must be here (difficult to get a proper view because of redevelopment). Nicholson’s Chemist with the letter box in front must have been on this site (now Great Charles Street [Queensway]). Viv.

68881338-5E89-4F21-A70F-EA4E9DE90914.jpeg

Last edited:
Back