• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Congreve Street

Rupert posted this 1822 image on another thread (which I’ve now copied to post #1 of this thread). It shows the site before the Town Hall was built, the artist would have been standing with Christ Church behind them. Obviously the road running horizontally along the lower part of the drawing is Paradise Street, with Allin’s/Bryan’s Shop on the corner of Ann Street to the right. But I’m not sure which (if not all) of the road (including that behind the railings) is Congreve Street. Whatever parts form the road, this is - as Rupert said - a very rare view of the other side of early Congreve Street (opposite Bryan’s/Allin’s shop) before the building of the Town Hall. Viv.

Image originally posted by Rupert
8C1471E8-A803-443A-B3A9-5E19E4D6977A.jpeg

These pictures are really exciting. My 2 x Great Grandfather, George James, ran a Hairdresser and Perfumier at 4, Congreve Street from the spring of 1840 until the 1870s, and then at 37, Congreve Street (perhaps the same building, renumbered) until about mid 1880. He raised a family over the shop.

Brummie from Exmoor
Post 2 in this thread shows on a very reduced scale a drawing of this part of the street. I reproduce a better copy below. The directories seem to name him as George James, and this is repeated in the drawing (James) towards the right of the panorama. You can click twice or save the image to see it at best magnification
panoramic view congreve  St_A.jpg

Wow Mike, that is amazing! Many thanks. Yes, he does appear in the directories a number of times. I have found a pretty continuous thread with them and with the Census returns.

Looking at Mike’s drawing and the two paintings, I reckon Geo James’ shop must be this one (red dots). There’s also a photo posted by Mike in post #39 which you may have missed.

The shop was in a great position; facing the Town Hall, close to Christ Church. Plenty of footfall.

Viv.

Attachments

• 5140CBA7-DB54-4AE4-BD7D-08BBB3F00F92.jpeg
    5140CBA7-DB54-4AE4-BD7D-08BBB3F00F92.jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 7
I think you could well be correct.

You might also be interested to see the attached pictures. I found them in my Mum's archives, and by a process of elimination, I was able to identify them as George and his wife Elizabeth. She was born MOLESWORTH, a well-known Birmingham family ~ but not the wealthy branch!

Attachments

• Elizabeth James nee Molesworth c 1875-1879.png
    Elizabeth James nee Molesworth c 1875-1879.png
    360.3 KB · Views: 5
  • George James c1875-1879.png
    George James c1875-1879.png
    309.1 KB · Views: 5
These pictures are really exciting. My 2 x Great Grandfather, George James, ran a Hairdresser and Perfumier at 4, Congreve Street from the spring of 1840 until the 1870s, and then at 37, Congreve Street (perhaps the same building, renumbered) until about mid 1880. He raised a family over the shop.
After the 1873 directory all the buildings in Congreve st nos 1- 18 disappear, and the directory records that the street ends at Edmund St, not Anne St. this corresponds to the beginning of the building of the council house, which is stated to be in 1874. Therefore the change in address was real, and not merely renumbering

Thank you Mike, that is really useful to know. It obviously became necessary to move, but Congreve Street suited them, so they found a new address.

J

Back