• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Congregational Church

ascspeaker

proper brummie kid
Can anybody help with info on what was the Moseley Road Congregational Church on the corner of Runcorn.
I understand that It was completely distroyed during WWII, but cannot find any more detail?

i have moved this thread from streets and neighbours to the correct section of the forum which is CHURCHES...where you may receive a better response

lyn

MWS, thank you, the site being sold in 1955 would fit in with some known info. The people that ran the Ironmongers on the opposite corner of Runcorn tell me that there was by then (the early 60s) some sort of engineering works on that site.
The further mention of it not being used for several years before the sale adds credence to the tale of the church being destroyed by WWII bombs. That's the fact I am chasing I.E. confirmation of the bombing.

This church gets a lot of mentions here

It is a long thread but some posts might help.

Curiously Kellys list the church as being there up till the 1955 edition, but it has gone by the 1956 edition, when there is nothing listed for the site

Bearing in mind that dates on photos can sometimes be unreliable see two photos from 'britainfromabove'
Aerial view dated 1938 shows the church - red spot marked
RuncornRd_1938.jpg

Aerial view dated 1946 (not as good resolution) appears to show the church - also red spot marked.
RuncornRd_1946.jpg

The above correspondence proves beyond doubt the Moseley Road Congregational church was not destroyed by bombs during WWII.

That is being claimed on this link

So here is the question, has the writer of the wartime bombing, get churches mixed up?
Was there another church within a reasonable distance of the Moseley Rd one destroyed by bombs?
I have researched using 'Congregational Church` and found nothing useful. A friend reports that one in Ladypool Rd was hit by an incendiary device that set the roof on fire. That building is still there.

That photo was the first thing I found when searching originally.

I think the only thing it proves beyond doubt is that the person who wrote it believed that the church had been destroyed in the war. Other information in this thread would at least cast doubt upon that statement.

The thread I linked to in post #5 refers to Moseley Road Cong Church (with Stoney Lane). There is a reference to the Stoney Lane building being destroyed by a mine.
Is this where the confusion lies?

Yes, I believe that is it, a compiling error. The Stoney Lane Congregational Church building being destroyed by a mine does seem to be the likely cause of the confusion and error.
Thank you all, you are quite wonderful.

I'm JF of the Balsall Heath Local History Society's monthly 'Gazette' I wish to tell the story of the Congregational Church on Moseley Road and to show particularly how beautiful the building was. The 1956 photo of demolishing in progress is in my view treasurable. I would of course throughout give credit to Birmingham History Forum.
All of this started for me upon finding this picture at home.
1652968325936.jpeg
This led to the enquiry about the Church, and further more about the tram that seems to be traveling the wrong way up the Moseley Road ie It is on the right side of the road and not the left. There are other questions too, so I'm going to change to another subject on here.

Yes, quite likely, we held an exhibition on the subject 2018-19 and then produced a book on the subject.
There is a relative of the children's group. which meet every so often. But badly affected by covid restrictions. I don't know about any planned meets at the moment. We have been instrumental in getting Blue Plaque to be raised at the place of the original Middlemore School in Highgate very soon now.

The Middlemore Homes thread can be seen here…

Back