• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Congregational Church, Erdington

florence butler

master brummie
In 1892 three members of my ancestral Butler family were buried in a family vault in Erdington Congregational church. A few years ago, I visited the church but could not find their grave. I have also looked in the Birmingham Library monumental inscriptions and their names are not mentioned.:( I assume that a vault would bear an inscription!

I understand that the Greek Orthodox took over the church, but it now seem to be in a redundant state. :(

Do any of your goodselves have any idea where I could research next. :)..........Thank you........Florence

Hi Wendy,:)

Thank you for the link. I did try it, but it was unavailable. I will try to get it off the web when I've finished on here.

I was lucky enough to find the three Butler obituaries in the Sutton Coldfield and Erdington Times newspaper. They were quite lengthy reports, (being well known members of the community), as they owned the Cross Keys Inn at the time of their deaths.

All the best....Florence:)

My G G Grandparents and at least two of their children were buried in a family grave at the 'Erdington Congregational
churchyard' . Googling tells me the church is now called the United reformed Church (Holly Lane) but I don't see
evidence of a cemetery or churchyard on google view at that location.

I have a family member visiting Birmingham later this month who would search for the grave if I can provide an
accurate location, if the graveyard and grave still exists of course.

Any help much appreciated.

About 1952-1955 I went to the Sunday school of the Methodist church in Station road every year we went to The Congregational church to join with their Sunday school choir to celebrate a day called Anniversary Sunday we all wore white and sang together in front of the large congregation.
When you entered the church grounds there was no car park in those days, the graves were all in front of the church, either side of the path.
If this ground has been levelled to make a car park it is likely that the gravestones are positioned around the wall of the new church.

• Appreciate
Reactions: RRJ
About 1952-1955 I went to the Sunday school of the Methodist church in Station road every year we went to The Congregational church to join with their Sunday school choir to celebrate a day called Anniversary Sunday we all wore white and sang together in front of the large congregation.
When you entered the church grounds there was no car park in those days, the graves were all in front of the church, either side of the path.
If this ground has been levelled to make a car park it is likely that the gravestones are positioned around the wall of the new church.
thanks alberta...bob are you able to visit the church to see if any gravestones remain

lyn

Thank you. It is always good to get the background to requests.
What an interesting snippet of sporting info that is.
Just a shame that the piece wasn't a little more about her rather than the men in her life, sign of the times I suppose.
I see that St Thomas Association still has a presence on Station Rd. I do know from other newspaper articles the
family were heavily involved with the club. My brother will be popping in there to see if they still have any
references to the family (unlikely I know) although I know from googling that the club has commemorative wall plaques
from WW2, maybe they have something earlier.

thanks alberta...bob are you able to visit the church to see if any gravestones remain

lyn
Not personally Lyn, a crumbling spine has given me mobility issues. My able bodied kid brother will be visiting later this month, I just need to give him a location ( assuming the gravestone exists at all ).

Not sure if this would be of any use
Thanks for this Janice, it was worth a download. There were some Johnson's listed unfortunately not mine.

Sorry about that. :( Do you think that means your relatives' stone was too damaged to be recorded? I hope you find something.

• Appreciate
Reactions: RRJ
Sorry about that. :( Do you think that means your relatives' stone was too damaged to be recorded? I hope you find something.
Thanks Janice, Always good to have as a future reference. As far as being damaged, I suppose a possibility. Or the
family had the stone moved elsewhere?

Just a shame that the piece wasn't a little more about her rather than the men in her life, sign of the times I suppose.
I see that St Thomas Association still has a presence on Station Rd. I do know from other newspaper articles the
family were heavily involved with the club. My brother will be popping in there to see if they still have any
references to the family (unlikely I know) although I know from googling that the club has commemorative wall plaques
from WW2, maybe they have something earlier.
I did end up making the trip to Birmingham with my brother last weekend.
No go on the Gravestone I'm afraid but surprisingly the St Thomas Association club did have some references
to my great grandfather Leon Harry Johnson 1879-1935 on the clubs wall.

St Thomas Club 1.jpg
St Thomas Club 2.jpg

Back