• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

CONEY Mary Ann c1863

Sparkhill Lad

master brummie
Have just recieved the birth cert for my g/dad and believed his parents to be:
William Henry Fellows
&
Mary Ann CATCHPOLE

but>>>>>>>>>>>>>
the father is correct but the mother's surname is CONEY.
This is all new to me, can anyone shed any light on the CONEY surname????

Derek

Marriages

I had a quick look on Freebmd & found:
Dec 1873 William Henry Fellows poss marriage to Mary Ann Coney ref Birmingham 6d 290,
Dec 1892 William Fellows to Mary Ann Catchpole, Birmingham 6d 367.

The thought occurs William may have remarried?

Good Hunting!

Vincebrum

A death registered Aston for Mary ann Fellows June quarter 1892 age 34.

Fellows/Catchpole marriage certificate will verify if William was widower.

coney

good morning sparkhill lad, my wife's maiden name is Coney,all she knows and how true it is we don't know but she was told that Coney was originally Coaney and when her great great grandparents came over from Ireland,they dropped the a. (The babby), thats my wife will be interested to learn about the true origin of her maiden name.

Her Grandads name was George Coney, and he married a Nellie Jackson,she will try and find out dates from her elderly aunt.

Proper brummie,

George Coney/Nellie Jackson marriage registered
Sept 1909 Aston ref 6d 400

george coney/nellie jackson

Alberta thanks for the info on my wifes grandparents,we now have some solid information to start our search. Is it easy to gain access to the records?

Fellows/Coney/Catchpole

Thanks to you all this has helped quite a bit I think.
If M.A.Fellows Died june 1/4 1892, she could have well been the g.g/mother we are looking for, and until now unknown to us. Her son, my g/father would have been just 7 at the time what a shame.
William Henry did not wait too long to marry Mary Ann Catchpole (December same year);)
Will order marriage cert for Fellows/Catchpole to see if he says he was a widower.

Proper Brummie

Just to keep you updated with the Coney connection in my tree.
Mary Ann Coney was a new addition for us as we always thought our Mary Ann to be Catchpole.???
BUT
I ordered the marriage cert for Mary Ann Coney and this is what is shows,
Her father was Michael Coney ( could he be in your tree?)
Mary Ann was 19 when she married in 1873 at St Stephens Church Birmingham to William Henry Fellows.

Her father's occupation was that of a shoe maker..could do with him now myself.
I also ordered the death cert. for "a" Mary Ann Fellows thinking this may be her as one died around the time my grandfather was 7, there seems to be no other mention of her in his life.
Sadly the cert I ordered did not (it seems) relate to our Ann, this one was married to a James Fellows. ....another brick wall????
One witness on the wedding cert was of Ellen Coney, a sister perhaps?

hope this may help in some small way.

Derek

Mary Ann Coney
Michael Coney and Elizabeth Hubbard married 1848 birmingham

1851 Water? Street.
Michael Coney age 28 b, Co.Cork,journeyman shoemaker.
Elizabeth age 26 b. Coleshill
Ellen age 2 months b. Birmingham

1861 has in Staniforth Street
Elizabeth Coney age 32? b. Coleshill widow.
Ellen 10
Mary 5

Thanks Alberta

Am going in circles with this one, especially as Mary Ann has only just made herself "known" to me.
Concrete evidence so far:
Willaim Henry Fellows c1853 (my gt. g/father)
married Mary Ann Coney 1873 at St Stephens church Birmingham.
Her father was shown as Michael, a Shoemaker
and a witness signature Ellen Coney, who would have been about 22 which seems to be correct.:)
So that gives me her mother too.
BUT
in 1861 Elizabeth says she is a widow, on the wedding cert 1873, it does not say that father is decessed.???
Here we go again !!

That is no problem ,there are many certificates that do not say deceased.

I have a couple myself and I know the father was deceased.

In the 7 years I have been interested in genealogy I have seen lots of postings on forums asking this question.

Coney

My surname is CONEY and I have been looking into the name for some time.
I am new to the History Web ring but any help would be very Helpful
Thanks Brian

Hello Brian
& welcome to this wonderful site.
You will find people here with so much knowledge it will blow your mind, if they do not know they will point you in the right direction.

CONEY....

What is it you need to know / follow up?
I do have a direct link to this family name although mine is different.

love to hear from you again.

Regards

Derek

If this is the family in 1891(Census taken on April 5th of that year), then he probably needed someone to help look after the children after Mary died.
William Henry did not wait too long to marry Mary Ann Catchpole (December same year);)

Address: 5 1/2 Ludgate Hill

FELLOWS William H Head M M 38 Genral Dealer Shop(Notem) Warwickshire - Birmingham
FELLOWS Mary A Wife M F 34 Warwickshire - Birmingham
FELLOWS Emily E Dau - F 15 Clothier Assistant(Em'ee) Staffordshire - Perry Barr
FELLOWS Lucy Dau - F 14 Press Worker Mach(Em'ee) Warwickshire - Birmingham
FELLOWS Frederick Son - M 12 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham
FELLOWS Alfred Son - M 10 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham
FELLOWS Charles H Son - M 6 Scholar Staffordshire - Perry Barr
FELLOWS Nellie Dau - F 5 Staffordshire - Perry Barr
FELLOWS John Brothr M M 24 Brass Polisher(Em'ee) Lancashire - Manchester

Pom :angel:

Coney

My grandfather was Henry Coney, born in Birmingham in 1886. He married a Annie Humphries in 1908. His father was George Coney born 1853 He married Louisa Maria Moore in 1875. His Father was James Coney born approx 1828 -1833 He married a Mary Ann Hadley in 1849 at St Mathews Walsall. His father is listed as John Coney.
As they were boatmen on the canal tracking them has been difficult, although they appear to have always been in the Birmingham area.
Does anyone have these people in their family tree?

Back