• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

conducters badges

gingerjon

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN R.I.P.
My Mom was a bus conductoress at Hockley depot circa 1940's does any one know what would be on the badge they had to wear (letters & numbers)

Hello John my mom was a bus conductoress too just before the war, her badge was in our house for years what i can remember was that there was a different number in the center of each badge there was a red circle round it don,t know which bus company it was though it may have been a London bus as she was there during the early wars years

Hi John I asked Michael and he said the clippies badge was a different colour he thinks it was green.........maybe Lloyd can help on this one!:)

Conductor/tress badge had a green edge and Driver red. In the West Midlands area the number on the badge would have the letters DD above it. Other areas had different letters AA, BB etc. (In the West Country where I come from the letters were HH). Exception to the rule was London with the single letter N and also T for a trolleybus driver.

thanks for the replies I have a photograph but the badge is out of focus it looks like two figure on the top can't make out any more do you know of any where they keep records for Birmingham corperation workers

it looks like D D can't make out numbers

Last edited:
Badges were issued with a PSV licence by the West Midlands Traffic Commisioners and were supposed to be returned when a licence expired if not renewed. Birmingham City Transport Department held employees licences and charged for them if the employee left for new employment. Badges returned to the Commisioners were often reissued and referred to as a 'deadmans badge' by the new holder. Records of holders may have been kept by the Commisioners but BCT did not other than on an employees personal record which was destroyed after a period from when employment finished with the department for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information Mike. So now I know we have stolen property in the house Hmmm I will ask how Michael kept his badge!

The letters on a badge denoted the 'traffic area' where it was issued, in all areas except London the letter was doubled, as seen below.
(KK was the South East area, Brighton etc., N was London. Brimingham and the Midlands was DD.)
Badges were notorious for coming off the jacket lapel and getting lost - so if anyone found driver's badge DD 61276 wherever I lost it - can I have it back please?!

My mom was a clippie on the number 8 inner circle bus route when she was eighteen during the war years,i think i remember my mom saying that she was at Miller St bus depot

Mossy

The letters on a badge denoted the 'traffic area' where it was issued, in all areas except London the letter was doubled, as seen below.
(KK was the South East area, Brighton etc., N was London. Brimingham and the Midlands was DD.)
Badges were notorious for coming off the jacket lapel and getting lost - so if anyone found driver's badge DD 61276 wherever I lost it - can I have it back please?!

Hi Lloyd

I remember that a bus conductor I knew on the outer circle route
had a BB badge so I assume that if you had been a conductor in
another area you could bring the badge with you. I think this may
have been Yorkshire but I'm not sure.

Kind regards

Dave

I would guess that bus crew badges from different areas would be quite
collectable these days?

regards
Neville..

buscrew.jpg

Both bus and tram stops were indicated by a sign mounted on the side of the road. The bus (or trolleybus) could pull into the kerb for people to get on and off, trams ran down the middle of the road so people had to risk the traffic to reach the pavement. This was less of an issue prior to the 1950s as motor traffic was not so all pervasive and horse drawn vehicles tended to slow the traffic flow down somewhat. By the 1950s however the business of getting on and off trams was sufficiently hazardous to warrant public information films, mainly aimed at children. By the early 1990s when trams were once more being serious considered the roads were clogged with the angst ridden middle classes transporting children and flat pack furniture in a state of permanent agitation, so the new trams had to have special stops built for them in the roads. A smart lot of drivers, conductors & is that an Inspector on the right!?, you never see one when the buses in Brum are not coming according to the time table. Len.

Thanks Wendy a friend of my mom's worked a Washwood Heath many many moons ago I tried to trace her with no luck we only knew as Aunty Dorothy which was the norm then to call parents freinds either Uncle or Aunty I wonder why ?

I think it was a form of respect John. Sad really even my nieces and Nephews just call me Wendy now!:(

I have a photo of my Grandma wearing her tram uniform. She looks very smart, with tie/shirt/woollen jumper and heavy overcoat on. I have managed to enlarge the badge on her cap. It looks more 'oval' than the ones already posted. It says 'Birmingham Corporation Tramways' and has the number 237 in the middle. Can anyone advise me about getting any info. about which route she might have worked, or is that too much wishful thinking?! I believe she worked between 1940-45 (ish)
Many thanks.

Names I am researching: Draper, Roberts, Rutter, McCarthy, Wood.

Watton, Tram crews didn't have a PSV licence and badge. They were licenced by the local authority or company operating the tramway. In Birmingham they were issued with an numbered oval shaped enamel badge which was worn as a cap/hat badge at a time when wearing a cap/hat was a compulsory part of the uniform. Such a badge is now a collectors item and much sought after by tram enthusiasts. If you know which depot your Grandma worked at it would be easy to find out at least the group of sevices she might have worked on.

Last edited:
My Mom was a bus conductoress at Hockley depot circa 1940's does any one know what would be on the badge they had to wear (letters & numbers)
Hi John I too was a conductor,prior to becoming a driver, On both badges were the letters DD this indicated the badges were issued in the midland area,every area had its own letters,when your moms badge was issued in the war her badge had maybe 3 or 4 numbers,mine was issued to me in the 60's and had 5 numbers,they were issued in order so the older the badge the lower the number Hope this helps

Hers a photo of a conductors badge that was issued in the west midlands, the number would have been a lot lower than this though if it was issued in the 1940s

hello everybody from Australia i still have both my driver and conductor badges from 1950s i worked for Midland red at Sutton garage both in good condition Allen

Hi Motorman-Mike
I asked my mum if she could remember anything about where her m-in-l worked from. She seems to think Digbeth.
She told me a story about my dad, he was run over by a tram when he lived on Marsh Lane, as a child. He supposedly put his head on the track!!!!!
She didn't know if his mum was the 'clippy' on the coming tram, or not!

Back