• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Condor Engineering, Lancaster Street Area ?

B

bluebell17

Hi All,

Could anyone possibly help me try to locate Condor Engineering, It was apparently run by my Grandfather and I think, two other people. It was believed to be somewhere around the Lancaster Street area and I think it was up and running around 1946. My Grandfather George Hall ran it until he sold his interest it to his two partners, but when that was i'm not too sure. He died in 1967. Any help would be appreciated

Dee

Dee
Can't find Condor or George Hall (as engineering Co) in Kellys in 1944,1948 or 1950, though not all very small firms were included. However in 1956 there is:
Condor Engineering Co. (The), machinists, 150A, Wellesley st 19. Northern 6470
In 1950 the entry for that address was:
Gold J.A.& Co. turning lathe mfs
In 1962-64 it was at the same address but a limited Co. Possibly it had by then been sold to his partners ?
By 1966 condor is not listed and there is no listing for the building in Wellesley St
Mike

Dee
Can't find Condor or George Hall (as engineering Co) in Kellys in 1944,1948 or 1950, though not all very small firms were included. However in 1956 there is:
Condor Engineering Co. (The), machinists, 150A, Wellesley st 19. Northern 6470
In 1950 the entry for that address was:
Gold J.A.& Co. turning lathe mfs
In 1962-64 it was at the same address but a limited Co. Possibly it had by then been sold to his partners ?
By 1966 condor is not listed and there is no listing for the building in Wellesley St
Mike

Hi Mike,

It sounds like what you found mght be the company in question. It's not quite in the area that I thought, but that might just be due to my misinformation. My Grandfather was a die sinker toolmaker by trade, and the only other information I have is that one of the partners was called Dennis Batterick. I know George was at least involved with the company until March 1952 as for my Mother's wedding gift he made his apologies for only being able to afford two fireside chairs as his finances were tied up in the business.

Thanks for coming up trumps again Mike

Dee

Back