• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Computer Security.

There have been some issues around CCleaner relating to the app collecting your data without permission.

Yes it appears to have detected some bundled apps in the CC update which I haven't allowed to happen yet. At least I know Windows Defender is working because I don't use any of the well known continually-running Anti-Virus apps.

During lock-down I've been using my computers differently (more online purchases etc) so I'm more suspicious than usual ... :cool:

When I open page 3 of the Bus Chassis thread it shows as 'Not Secure' but pages 1 and 2 are secure. All other threads posts etc are secure. I have not clicked the link in post#55 of the Bus Chassis thread and because it is off-topic (or something else) perhaps it should be removed. Is anyone else seeing this?
I could post a screenshot of what I am seeing.

Phil,

No problems here with the paid for version of Malwarebytes and all the links on that page are OK too. I must admit that I have never seen Windows Defender catch anything yet, probably because M'bytes got there first! :)

I love M'bytes, it did a complete update yesterday in about a minute and asked me before doing so. Doesn't hog the CPU and traps just about everything. Defender is there just to keep Windows quiet, but the two run happily side by side

Maurice :cool:

I bought Malwarebytes when they were a small start-up company. A Microsoft techie put me on to it. So, I bought a life subscription for just a few ponds. It is one of the better programmes.

A new scam arrived today from 'Microsoft' looking very real, it had attachments for an update of their contract for you to open (I didnt) and acknowledge you have read and agreed. Unfortunately, for them at the bottom of the email it said from an unmonitored mailbox. This is the just the top of it 1597649743580.png1597649743580.png

I don't use Windows, but do have a Microsoft mail address for Skype. I got that mail so I do not think it a scam.

I also had it in late 2019 and it is about changes to Microsoft's terms and conditions etc. If you agree to them do nothing - if not then tell Microsoft you don't want to use them anymore. I was very suspicious when it came.

It is just the sort of thing that scammers can easily copy so we have to be on alert.

I would have thought if it were legit, it would have the correct name of the account holder, not just hello. That should be the first thing you check with scam emails.

I would have thought if it were legit, it would have the correct name of the account holder, not just hello. That should be the first thing you check with scam emails.
Thats was my first thought. Microsoft advise to click onto their actual website to see any updates.

It can be genuine ... here is the one they sent me. The 'unmonitored mailbox' comment is just Microsoft's complicated way of saying 'from a computer do not reply'.
Image4.jpg
It is however just the sort of thing that scammers can copy to fool the unwary ..

Just received an email advising me that my TV Licence was not renewed (in March) because my payment process did not work, so could I please renew immediately!

I have the license from March and there was no problem with the payment - so beware of this latest scam.

There are many instances in this thread - and other places similar that I visit - that report mail scams.
What is not mentioned is the ISP or provider mail address. It would be helpful to those who get frequent scam mails to know. They could then change their mail address by using another mail provider or look at their settings in their mail programme. I get none.
I clamped down on GMail as it was the only place I got girlie type mail in the junk box by blocking (I only need a GMail address for You Tube and Google Maps, no mail used at all. I have a Microsoft mail address - solely for Skype, but do not use their mail systems. I closed my AOL accounts as they are in cahoots with Oath, who seem, along with Yahoo, to share lots of things!! : unamused: My ISP (TalkTalk) has good settings to block any unwanted mail but 99% of my mail is now based in Switzerland. Much safer and stricter than UK and EU.

I'm using Firefox, it's way better then IE and attracts far less attention from hackers
One hours browsing can infest your PC with dozens and dozens of tracking cookies that will stay there for good if you don't take action, I like how I can select to keep all my forum log in cookies but lose the rest every time I close Firefox. I have add- ons to stop adverts, block pop ups etc.
I have used various free antivirus apps in the past but now just use the Win10 built in one which is rated as very effective. Norton for e.g is rated as bloatware
As a member of several coin collecting and model engineering Facebook groups I hated the new look that was forced on everyone recently, it kept giving you suggestions of other groups that were totally irrelevant. A new Firefox add-on gives you back the classic view so i can continue to enjoy my groups without being bombarded with 'suggestions'

Last edited:
Convenience or safety ...
Owing to Covid this year I've been using Supermarket online deliveries and have accounts with four supermarkets and some other shops. I chose strong passwords but over the months of frequent sign-ins to get slots or make changes I allowed two browsers to remember the passwords and it took only seconds to sign-in with 'autofill' .... very convenient!

I do not allow browsers to remember any passwords for important sites.

The browsers hide passwords until I submit my fingerprint (usual method) or PIN number etc. Even closing the email accounts connected with the browsers still allow the passwords to be visible (subject to fingerprint) until I stop syncs.

Maybe it's time to give up on convenience ... :cool:

Owing to Covid this year I've been using Supermarket online deliveries and have accounts with four supermarkets and some other shops. I chose strong passwords but over the months of frequent sign-ins to get slots or make changes I allowed two browsers to remember the passwords and it took only seconds to sign-in with 'autofill' .... very convenient!

The browsers hide passwords until I submit my fingerprint (usual method) or PIN number etc. Even closing the email accounts connected with the browsers still allow the passwords to be visible (subject to fingerprint) until I stop syncs.

I don't know if anyone is interested, but, Microsoft Defender has an inbuilt "Crapware Blocker" which just needs to be enabled it can be turned off again if necessary. Only applies to W10.Win 10 Crapware Blocker.jpg

oldMohawk, I think caution will rule the day.........It seems to me at least that I can deal with a little inconvenience when you consider the mess and time when you don't :cool:

Back