• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Computer Security.

I was video chatting on Zoom last night about 11.15pm when we wondered (like grandparents do .. :rolleyes:) if our young grandkids were still active on Whatsapp at that late hour !

I decided to open Whatsap Web in my iPad and have a look. Whatsapp opened but would not run with a 'button' message to update Safari to version 9. I was about to tap the button to update but then thought that I had Safari version 13 which came with iOS 13.

All Safari data and history had to be cleared before the message was gone. It appears to have been a 'phishing' scam.

If it was, it nearly caught me out ! :cool:

I was video chatting on Zoom last night about 11.15pm when we wondered (like grandparents do .. :rolleyes:) if our young grandkids were still active on Whatsapp at that late hour !

I decided to open Whatsap Web in my iPad and have a look. Whatsapp opened but would not run with a 'button' message to update Safari to version 9. I was about to tap the button to update but then thought that I had Safari version 13 which came with iOS 13.

All Safari data and history had to be cleared before the message was gone. It appears to have been a 'phishing' scam.

If it was, it nearly caught me out ! :cool:

OldMohawk,

I wonder what my grandchildren are doing! When we are with them it seems like one of us is from another planet!

Ref post#43, I've found that if the router does an 'off-on' (as it did during the night) and I'm not signed out of Zoom the router displays the message. My solution is to sign out when a session ends ... :)

Last edited:
Ref post#43, the message from the router was normal for an off/on. The 'Security Warning 'Untrusted Server Certificate' was from Windows 10 superimposed over it and will always appear for a site using 'self-signed' certificates. Zoom apparently issues a temporary certificate to the host of a Zoom meeting/chat and Win10 detects this.

I clicked the 'Trust anyway' button and Win10 now knows it is a site I trust ... :)

Expect a number of scam emails as soon as the scammers find out that the over 75s have to pay for their TV Licences as from today unless they are in receipt of certain benefits.
I used to get some phishing emails which looked absolutely genuine with TV Licencing logos except that my personal information was wrong and the sending email address was either Japan or the Czech Republic.
If you are over 75 then the advice on the TV last night was to wait until you are contacted by TV Licencing but you will need to check somehow that they are genuine.

Last edited:
Started my PC this morning and got this ....:rolleyes:
View attachment 146771 View attachment 146772
Investigating ...:cool:
This one shows up when something can't get at the data certificate for a site or the site doesn't have one. It might mean that the server that houses the relevant certificate is having problems or is being blocked by your ISP. If you try again and it no longer has that trouble it's an issue with the certificate server that's been fixed. Sometimes you find there's a filtering system that's not working yet. If something in startup takes too long one of the endless programs trying to update themselves might discover that the router isn't as well connected as it should be because that driver hasn't loaded yet.If that happens you might get that message on windows update. .

This one shows up when something can't get at the data certificate for a site or the site doesn't have one. It might mean that the server that houses the relevant certificate is having problems or is being blocked by your ISP. If you try again and it no longer has that trouble it's an issue with the certificate server that's been fixed. Sometimes you find there's a filtering system that's not working yet. If something in startup takes too long one of the endless programs trying to update themselves might discover that the router isn't as well connected as it should be because that driver hasn't loaded yet.If that happens you might get that message on windows update. .
Thanks,
I have identified that it happens when my router BTHub 6 suddenly goes offline. On the very hot Friday 31st July at 5.00pm the screen image below appeared on my iPad.
Having seen it before I could see that my router was flashing purple - it had gone offline. It was a very hot day and the router felt hot and may have overheated or the internet connection had gone off and on. A small PC fan now cools the router if it is a very hot day. I am relaxed about it now ....:)

IMG_1272 (Medium).jpg

I use Windows Defender and it has defended so far but noticed this and thought I would give it a go.
Probably not as effective as the paid-for Malwarebytes but it is free.

Every little bit of protection helps !
oldMohawk, would this work on an Apple ipad? The reason I ask is that the wife gets numerous invitations in her emails to have sex with Russian women/men, have her penis enlarged, collect the money she has won in Vegas etc etc. I have changed her password numerous times (as advised) but nothing seems to work.

oldMohawk, would this work on an Apple ipad? The reason I ask is that the wife gets numerous invitations in her emails to have sex with Russian women/men, have her penis enlarged, collect the money she has won in Vegas etc etc. I have changed her password numerous times (as advised) but nothing seems to work.
Hi jimbo, unfortunately Windows Defender only works on Microsoft devices.

Are the unwanted intrusions coming to your wife's Apple email or to any other email she might be using. If so then email settings need altering.

If they are unwanted pop-ups when using the Safari browser then the 'block pop-ups setting' needs to be set at maximum level.

Unfortunately Apple 'block pop-up settings' are not very effective and I use a free app named 'Blockbear'. It has sat in my iPad for the last three years blocking pop-ups if any have tried. I have not looked at it lately but as far as I remember it just needs the web addresses of the offending sites put in it and it will block them forever.

Part of my iPad screen showing the Blockbear icon
IMG_1274.jpg
It obviously looks at all sites you are viewing to check for pop-ups so it is nosy!
But Apple would not have it as an app if it was dodgy. All I can say is I've used it without any apparent problems

Hi jimbo, unfortunately Windows Defender only works on Microsoft devices.

Are the unwanted intrusions coming to your wife's Apple email or to any other email she might be using. If so then email settings need altering.

If they are unwanted pop-ups when using the Safari browser then the 'block pop-ups setting' needs to be set at maximum level.

Unfortunately Apple 'block pop-up settings' are not very effective and I use a free app named 'Blockbear'. It has sat in my iPad for the last three years blocking pop-ups if any have tried. I have not looked at it lately but as far as I remember it just needs the web addresses of the offending sites put in it and it will block them forever.

Part of my iPad screen showing the Blockbear icon
View attachment 147206
It obviously looks at all sites you are viewing to check for pop-ups so it is nosy!
But Apple would not have it as an app if it was dodgy. All I can say is I've used it without any apparent problems
Thank you oldMohawk, much appreciated, will give it a go so it's fingers crossed.

This is an interesting webpage on scams

Much to my surprise Windows Defender (Security) went into action yesterday. A warning notification appeared and a click on it showed the following.
windefend.jpg
It rated a standard update to CCleaner (which I have used for years) as a PUA and apparently removed the update.

Last edited:
Back