• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Computer Security.

Being somewhat cynical myself, I would not be entirely convinced that Norton did not also pass on information if they could get money for it

I am glad I switched to Linux. Those who develop it say that anti/v is not needed with Linux and some of them are very critical about its use.

Being somewhat cynical myself, I would not be entirely convinced that Norton did not also pass on information if they could get money for it
more than likely mike, i dont trust any of them. it all comes down to the abba song:grinning:

I am glad I switched to Linux. Those who develop it say that anti/v is not needed with Linux and some of them are very critical about its use.
You're probably the only BHF member running Linux ... :)

I have an old Lenovo computer which because of a graphics hardware problem caused me to replace W10 with Linux Mint which for general internet browsing works perfectly. My internet banking site however seems to have problems with linux.

I would guess most members are running Windows devices with varying amounts of security and passwords etc.

I suspect that just about everything is spying on us. Isn't it strange that if you search for left-hand threaded chocolate teapot spouts an advert for some such pops up on Facebook a few days later?

Then there are those little alerts that a software update is available and you didn't even think you were on the internet (i.e. your browser of choice isn't running at the time).

Supposedly there are ways of protecting oneself, but how do we know they work? And if they do work might they prove to be an inconvenience at some other time? I give the example of 'Ad blockers'. One very good reason for using one is that many newspaper websites are totally unreadable without one as they thrust video upon video at you and the poor browser struggles to position the page. I see that many newspaper are getting upset about 'Ad blockers' and in turn 'block' the content. (Well if they put a reasonable amount of ads on a page people wouldn't have tried to block them, would they?)

Unfortunately I think software design is fundamentally flawed. A hardware designer building a prison or a castle would erect good strong walls and then reluctantly put in doors which would be well guarded. Software designers work on the principle that it would be 'cool' if everything could be connected to everything else, their world is all doors that they assume by default will be used only by people with good intentions. They then make a killing trying to block the doors and, at the same time, removing a significant part of the capability of the computer. (I recently re-installed Win98 on an old PC but without any anti-virus software and it regained the speed that was one reason for it being replaced in the first place. Perhaps Win10 upgrades are designed to slow the PC by 10% each time?)

Last edited:
The only 'suspect' programme I have - as far as I can tell, is Skype. There are frequent updates but little, if anything is changed. But then Skype is Microsoft.
My Android tablet is anther matter however, lots to do with Google. So I only use for book readings and certain religious web sites. (That saves me carrying around larger books on my visits.)

I find that the latest version of Windows 10 1909 (18363.592) runs a fast as any Windows version I have ever used and I've used most of them.

A simple change in the settings of the Chrome or Edge browsers presently disables the 'blocks' the newspapers put on adblock extensions and the annoying little videos in the bottom right corners. It is site specific.
This browser adjustment also works with Safari in my iPad but can't be made site specific..

If ads are reasonable and not flashing etc I'm not bothered about them on my computer screens although I cannot remember ever being influenced by any of them ... :)

The only 'suspect' programme I have - as far as I can tell, is Skype. There are frequent updates but little, if anything is changed. But then Skype is Microsoft.
My Android tablet is anther matter however, lots to do with Google. So I only use for book readings and certain religious web sites. (That saves me carrying around larger books on my visits.)
Alan, I use my notebook for part time consulting purposes and have good protection (or so it thought), which has been around the world a few times including China. I started to get a blue screen error message. The computer would shut down and restart, loosing whatever I was working on, email, spreadsheet, proposal. I finally took it to a very good company who told me that even the best protection or antivirus can’t protect everything. What they found was that the computer had been attacked over 800 times and was struggling to keep running. They also found some virus’s that appeared to be Chinese in origin that looked like they had been planted!
What they did was to down load everything onto a portable hard drive then clean up the computer and clean everything on the hard drive then reload everything, it been two weeks, so far so good just had to reset a few passwords.
What they did say was to try to use my iPad on any sites that are questionable and protect the computer. They also said that in certain countries I can expect problems as a foreign traveler!

Use a web site / search engine called DuckDuckGo as they don't sell your search data / personal data to anyone
I had used it in the past but for some reason stopped, but I've just clicked your link and about to click the 'Add DuckDuckGo to Edge' button ... will see how it goes ... :cool:
Screenshot (526).jpg

I use Chrome and/or Edge Dev.
I just added DDG to Edge but it had to be added as a Chrome Extension !
Gave it a quick go and it seemed a bit slow but will give it more tests.

I use Chrome and/or Edge Dev.
I just added DDG to Edge but it had to be added as a Chrome Extension !
Gave it a quick go and it seemed a bit slow but will give it more tests.
i use firefox.DDG comes as a ext, for it.no probs,but as i said its slow. i could not get it to work with edge. at all

Back