• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Computer Security.

My e-mail account has recently been hacked by someone in Lagos, Nigeria. My contacts received an e-mail inviting them to buy me a gift voucher. For a couple of days I received no incoming e-mails I guess they were being diverted to my new friend in Lagos, but on the plus side I have had lots of phone calls from relatives and friends around the World. With enormous help from MS I now have an extra security check on my email account and we appear to be back to normal. Not that I begin to understand how it works, but I still have my old email i/d.
Sounds like a great ending Jim!

My wife had a strange one from a WI lady who my wife knows very well, she was asking if we could buy an ipad for her off Amazon and send it to her son and she would repay my wife at the next WI meeting as she doesn't have an Amazon account herself. My wife thought it very strange that she would be asked to buy an ipad for someone but just then the phone rang and another WI lady had received the same message. It turns out that all the ladies had the same request and the lady who supposedly sent it was deeply shocked as you can imagine. Someone had scammed the list of emails etc.

Last edited:
My wife had strange one from a WI lady who my wife knows very well, she was asking if we could buy an ipad for her off Amazon and send it to her son and she would repay my wife at the next WI meeting as she doesn't have an Amazon account herself. My wife thought it very strange that she would be asked to buy an ipad for someone but just then the phone rang and another WI lady had received the same message. It turns out that all the ladies had the same request and the lady who supposedly sent it was deeply shocked as you can imagine. Someone had scammed the list of emails etc.
I have noticed that the WI have not sufficiently carful enough with its members data. It has in the past been in the habit of sending out block emails with all of the subscribers emails visible and also posting people email addresses on their website.

WI is Women's Institute. Obviously, Morturn has a secret life :grinning:
My wife joined the local lunchtime WI in 1983 when we had our first child, it was probably an experiment to attract new members as most groups meet in the evening. All the women had babies or toddlers with them or were pregnant o_O she has remained close friends with several of them after all this time and our kids are of course grown up. Now all the members are pensioners with no youngsters anywhere in sight.

Back