• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Computer phone scam

ColinB

gone but not forgotten
We returned from a few days away to find we had lost our tv, phone and broadband service, a contractor repairing the pavement had severed the cable feeding us and several neighbours. The fault was repaired yesterday and the first phone call was from a company on behalf of Acer Computers, stating that they had detected a software fault two days earlier (when we had no service) on my computer. They continued by saying if I connected to their website that they would check my computer and repair the fault "free of charge". I declined their offer of help. I cannot find anything on the net, but I'm convinced this was a scam.
So another warning for members to take care.

Colin

Acer themselves are a huge computer things related company...have you asked them if they or an agent acting for them contacted you?

Colin I don't think this is a scam as it's a well known company. My son often repairs things on line thats his job amongst other things. Apparently yesterday was black Friday in the US the busiest on line sales day. He worked through the night and told me one PC company sold more last night than they had ever sold. His last comment was what recession!

I should have added that both my main computer and my laptop are HP, I've never had an Acer. I agree that faults can be fixed on line, but that requires you to allow them access to your computer, so rendering any security programmes useless. They did say they were calling on behalf of Acer, but I still maintain it was a scam, and better to be safe than sorry.

Colin

the first phone call was from a company on behalf of Acer Computers...both my main computer and my laptop are HP, I've never had an Acer.
How would they know your phone number then?

How would they know your phone number then?

Which is what nails it as a scam IMHO. I have been called in the past and indeed last week by someone 'claiming' to be calling about SKY. I have never had nor am likely to have SKY - Ergo if they offer to fix my [non existent] satellite/ SKY Box it is a scam!

Use of a well known name is common amongst con men.

To me it was just a cold call although I didn't go into any great detail with the caller, we seem to get 2-3 a week even though we are registered with Telephone Preference Service, and any call other than from known contacts, starts alarm bells ringing.

Colin

Yes Colin after what you have said you may be right. Because you would have to allow access and how do you know they are who they say they are.....better be safe than sorry!

I think the day when a PC company offers to fix your puter free without even being asked is still a very long way off. I never respond to any cold call.

Telephone Preference Service
Colin
Some company's get round the TPS by hiring people to call from private numbers with the 141 prefix. I have an 4 year old Acer Laptop which I registered with them but only with an email address, but have never heard anything from them, and I don't think they would ever phone anyone. My desktop is an HP and I get the odd email from them wondering why I haven't bought another. My wife had an Apple Ipod 2 months ago and I downloaded 'Apple Itunes' which brought in Apple 'bloatware' and took up 100Mb of disk space. I now get an email from them almost every day which makes me wonder about 'an Apple a day keeps ...........':)

Back