• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Computer help please.

.... channel ?
Most routers transmit on two nominal frequencies 2.4 GHz and 5.18 GHz. The 2.4 is split into 11 slightly overlapping channels. The 5.18 is split into 23 non-overlapping channels. Laptops and tablets automatically choose the best channels but if they do not you can manually choose a channel as Smudger has done.
:)

And here in a rural Greek village we are paying for 50mbps and getting 45 mbps, yet there are villages a few miles north of here who can't even sustain a dial-up line because of the high noise levels. It's a very uneven internet world.

Maurice :cool:
Absolutely Maurice, you are SO right!

I have chrome on my desktop pc & it works fine. I have it on my laptop & it used to work fine but for some reason it stopped working on the laptop(won`t connect to any web pages )I tried uninstalling & re-installing but that didn`t work. I installed Norton & Nordvpn today, could they have something to do with the problem?

Smudger. Try deleting your browsing data - history, cache etc. Click the 3 dots top right of chrome, select Settings, then Privacy and Security, then Clear Browsing Data and finally under the heading Basic, tick 'cached images and files' - just the one for a start. If that doesn't work try clearing 'browsing history' next - could also tick 'cookies and other site data' but if you do that you may have to enter your passwords for some sites. John.

PS Did this only happen after you installed Norton?

Smudger. Try deleting your browsing data - history, cache etc. Click the 3 dots top right of chrome, select Settings, then Privacy and Security, then Clear Browsing Data and finally under the heading Basic, tick 'cached images and files' - just the one for a start. If that doesn't work try clearing 'browsing history' next - could also tick 'cookies and other site data' but if you do that you may have to enter your passwords for some sites. John.

PS Did this only happen after you installed Norton?
Jukebox, Chrome was working fine but when i tried it after installing Norton & my VPN it would load the home page but would not log onto any web sites. I`ve tried most of those other things you suggested.

I used to use norton,and pay a furtune ..but had so much agro with it,like you smudge it stopped me downloading most progs,it thought was iffy.so i uninstalled it did a diskclean, rebooted and never had any probs since. my pc is quicker as well now. ps i use firefox on all my machines

I used to use norton,and pay a furtune ..but had so much agro with it,like you smudge it stopped me downloading most progs,it thought was iffy.so i uninstalled it did a diskclean, rebooted and never had any probs since. my pc is quicker as well now. ps i use firefox on all my machines
Pete, I always used Firefox till i read somewhere that it will soon disappear, that`s why i changed to Chrome. If i can`t sort this problem then i will try Firefox again. Chrome works fine in my desktop pc, but not in my laptop.

Smudger,

I didn't even know that Norton was still going. Ditch it - there are much better anti-virus packages about, such as Malwarebytes. I guess that your initial screen is still stuck in memory. Hit F5 and that will attempt to reload it. My guess is that it will fail on the reload. Remove Norton and everything will undoubtedly be back to normal.

Smudger,

Firefox is still going and mine gets automatically updated every so often. Firefox has dropped support for XP, Vista & Flash, but so has everyone else. The two worst anti-virus packages are undoubtedly Norton & McAfee.

Smudger,

Firefox is still going and mine gets automatically updated every so often. Firefox has dropped support for XP, Vista & Flash, but so has everyone else. The two worst anti-virus packages are undoubtedly Norton & McAfee.

and mine our Maurice. i use a add-on cookie deleter,with it. it seems the fastes browser for my clonker

I've previously mentioned why I dumped Norton.

I've been a long time user of Chrome but have to say that Microsoft Edge is now just as good. On my computers Edge is set up to look like Chrome and somtimes the only way I can quickly know which browser I am running is to look at the settings dots top right on the screen .... they are vertical on Chrome but horizontal on Edge.

Edge can import all bookmarks from Chrome and can be set to use Google search instead of Bing if required. It can also use some Google Chrome extensions. It also 'syncs' across computers if you have more than one. I even use it in my iPad.

When I did have Norton it wanted to take over some browser setting in Chrome and I had to stop to that.

I've previously mentioned why I dumped Norton.

I've been a long time user of Chrome but have to say that Microsoft Edge is now just as good. On my computers Edge is set up to look like Chrome and somtimes the only way I can quickly know which browser I am running is to look at the settings dots top right on the screen .... they are vertical on Chrome but horizontal on Edge.

Edge can import all bookmarks from Chrome and can be set to use Google search instead of Bing if required. It can also use some Google Chrome extensions. It also 'syncs' across computers if you have more than one. I even use it in my iPad.

When I did have Norton it wanted to take over some browser setting in Chrome and I had to stop to that.
I have been using Edge For well over a year and am very happy with it. I also use a protection software from a big US store Best Buy(not sure they are in the UK) and am very happy. Chrome is still on my machine for Google access but Edge is pulling the weight and actually has a nice set up for favorite sites. If you can run Edge I think you will be pleased.

I agree with Pete, try a diskclean. Years ago we did that all the time and now we seem not to. I am always surprised at how much junk is on the computer!

I have (by accident) solved the problem. After trying in vain to uninstall Chrome (Tried several ways) i gave up. Then when i signed in to my VPN i found that Chrome was working. Solutions, accidental or otherwise are welcome ! I find Chrome quicker than Edge.

I bought myself a cheap laptop to use when on holiday & found that the usb port was usb-type c, so i had to buy a usb- type c flash drive from Currys. It`s less than 40mm long, has a usb-type c on one end & a usb 3.1 type A on the other end. I find it amazing how much how much storage space they can put on such small objects & so useful.

Smudger,

Yes, the memory itself is quite small, it's just the connections and encapsulation that take the space.

Back