• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Computer help please.

Some people with i7 processors cannot run Win11. In the forum post below there are links to a technical website listing which Intel and AMD processors Microsoft have decided will be suitable to run Win11.

I run and like Win 11, but once you have got past the nice start menu etc the websites and apps look and run exactly the same as they do on Win10.

I was surprised that my three year old computers would run Win11 but it seems Microsoft liked my i5 processors.

My desktop has 32Gb ram and an Intel i5 processor but it comes up as not fit for Windows11. maybe some setting needs changing.
Any ideas?
Eric

How old is the system?

It maybe that your motherboard will support Windows 11, but your system doesn’t have two security settings turned on, that is Secure Boot and TPM 2.0. These two features are already built into many modern computers and processing chips from Intel and AMD.

I had this with my PC too.

Most motherboard manufactures have released an updated BIOS, so go to their site and install it.

Have a look at this article.

I have already done mine, its quite straightforward, but am not installing windows 11 just yet.

Eric

How old is the system?

It maybe that your motherboard will support Windows 11, but your system doesn’t have two security settings turned on, that is Secure Boot and TPM 2.0. These two features are already built into many modern computers and processing chips from Intel and AMD.

I had this with my PC too.

Most motherboard manufactures have released an updated BIOS, so go to their site and install it.

Have a look at this article.

I have already done mine, its quite straightforward, but am not installing windows 11 just yet.
thanks for that mort i will have a look at mine later

My desktop has 32Gb ram and an Intel i5 processor but it comes up as not fit for Windows11. maybe some setting needs changing.
Any ideas?
Eric, it’s more than just RAM and processor vintage. I looked at computers(lap top) with 12 GB or ram i5 Intel processor running W11. It’s actually dependent on system configuration as others have said.

Speed tests can vary quite a bit depending on how they are conducted. Some ISP will recognise that you are going to a testing site, (they do know everywhere you visit after all, unless you use a VPN), and they will 'prioritise' your data stream. Not all can be accused of this of course. The actual data stream used for measurement can be optimised as well. For example, if you use the NETFLIX speed checker, the data will be representative of video streaming, which is quite valid of course, it is what they do. If you use speedtest.net, their data seems to be optimised for the best connection to the testing server from your IP. On the other hand, if your speed feels adequate, there is no point in measuring it to the last decimal point.
Also, your perceived speed is determined to a large degree by the site you are connected to, usually OK, but there are some snails out there.

Andrew.
Andrew, we have noticed the same with Amazon Video. We actually used one of our phones as a personal hot spot before we had our ISP installed. We noticed that Amazon would delay initializing until sufficient buffer was in place and everything was fine. Our phone provider is T Mobile 5G. It Amazons best interest for you to watch and they accommodate!

after all the agro i have had with this very slow 5mgb isp and the pc dropping out i have changed to bt fiber. weeeeeeeeeee!
so now i will need a new faster pc desktop, any idears please ?

Last edited:
after all the agro i have had with this very slow 5mgb isp and the pc dropping out i have changed to bt fiber. weeeeeeeeeee!
Pete, I know you don`t like ebay, but there are some decent desktop pc`s to be had. My wife's pc & mine were bought off ebay & they are excellent. Just make sure the dealer has 100% feedback. I used a dealer called intelliscope. But, if you`ve got plenty dosh then Currys are about the best. Good luck.

Pete, I know you don`t like ebay, but there are some decent desktop pc`s to be had. My wife's pc & mine were bought off ebay & they are excellent. Just make sure the dealer has 100% feedback. I used a dealer called intelliscope. But, if you`ve got plenty dosh then Currys are about the best. Good luck.
ta smudge i will have a look.

Pete,I have my second Lenovo and really like it. A good friend who likes HP buys everything from their website. They have new, refurbished with full warranties and even in home support. You might give them a look. Prices are very good if they do it in the UK.

Pete,I have my second Lenovo and really like it. A good friend who likes HP buys everything from their website. They have new, refurbished with full warranties and even in home support. You might give them a look. Prices are very good if they do it in the UK.
thanks Richard i will have a nose.:grinning:

Back