• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Computer help please.

GEOFFREY

master brummie
Two days ago downloaded Windows 8 as a upgrade for my Windows 7,but the problem I`am having is that the screen keeps freezing after about two hours of use, I then have to switch off and then sign back in again,do I now need another Anti Virus or will the original one be ok ?as it now tells me it is out of date on Windows 8. Many thanks Geoffrey.

I think there are 2 separate issues here Geoffrey.

The antivirus will need updating by the looks of it - which one are you using?

As for the freezing that may be caused by conflicts with the programs you have on the PC already. You may need to download updated drivers. Did you run a MS check for compatibility prior to loading Windows 8?

Bernie thank you for your reply,the antivirus I am running isMcAfee and yes I did do a MS check for compatibility but not being a expert sometimes things are missed that shouldn`t be. Geoffrey.

As your PC runs for up to 2 hours before it freezes I suspect your problem could be due to overheating. Reading various forums does suggest that Windows 8 is more processor intensive than Windows 7 so would produce more heat. Check that your cooling fins are all clear of dust. John

Thank you Bernie for the link.hope to progress from there. also thank you Jukebox for your comments. Geoffrey.

Last night the lightning took out most of my electronics items. my laptop was one of them..it had a cd/dvd player in it.
i have looked but cant find anywhere that sells them now. i dont want to have to carry a stand-alone cd player. any ideas folks were i can buy a replacement

Last night the lightning took out most of my electronics items. my laptop was one of them..it had a cd/dvd player in it.
i have looked but cant find anywhere that sells them now. i dont want to have to carry a stand-alone cd player. any ideas folks were i can buy a replacement
I have that is doing nothing

I have one that is doing nothing

I have one that is doing nothing

Lumpammer, You can edit your first update, you don't have to enter it all again (see the edit button)

I think poster wants one that fits inside their laptop rather then an external one that plugs in.

And as far as I know these are not standard items and one would need to be bought for the specific laptop.

thanks LUMPHAMMER but the storm blew my laptop/it fried it. i went to pc world,and they said you cant buy laptops now with dvd built in.
Actually MW, I think you are better off without one built in. mine does not and it lighter and easier. I have a separate dvd that I hardly use. mostly for file storage I use memory sticks or thumb drives. Also purchase a 2TB portable HD to back everything up from Amazon. $40.00us.

OUTLOOK PROBLEM.

I had a problem with Outlook dropping out. MS recommended uninstalling office 2013 which I did. I reinstalled and everything is fine except cant receive emails without doing it manually!!

Any ideas would e appreciated!

Actually MW, I think you are better off without one built in. mine does not and it lighter and easier. I have a separate dvd that I hardly use. mostly for file storage I use memory sticks or thumb drives. Also purchase a 2TB portable HD to back everything up from Amazon. $40.00us.
thanks mate. i think i will have to go with the times and get a new model and a sep dvd drive for my box sets.

When that happened to me I got new for old on the home insurance, laptop, house telephone, car battery charger, and a couple of clocks.

Didn't repair the oak tree in the woods out back that got the full strike or BT's telephone cable out on the poles.

When that happened to me I got new for old on the home insurance, laptop, house telephone, car battery charger, and a couple of clocks.

Didn't repair the oak tree in the woods out back that got the full strike or BT's telephone cable out on the poles.
our lines did too

It's strange how we have Calculator compared to Computer ... does anyone know why ?
At the date this thread was started (2013) I tended to use the spelling Computor ... :rolleyes:

With reference to recent discussion - I bought a Dell Inspiron 5770 laptop in 2019 and it has a DVD player. I've only used it once to burn a DVD - since then I had forgotten it was there ... :)

It's strange how we have Calculator compared to Computer ... does anyone know why ?
At the date this thread was started (2013) I tended to use the spelling Computor ... :rolleyes:

With reference to recent discussion - I bought a Dell Inspiron 5770 laptop in 2019 and it has a DVD player. I've only used it once to burn a DVD - since then I had forgotten it was there ... :)
no longer available online

Something here but it only has a SSD data storage. Someone asked a question about DVD.
I agree with previous comments about it being best to use a plug-in DVD unit ... probably more robust.

QUOTE="oldMohawk, post: 693704, member: 1669"]
Something here but it only has a SSD data storage. Someone asked a question about DVD.
I agree with previous comments about it being best to use a plug-in DVD unit ... probably more robust.
[/QUOTE] thanks phil i looked and have orderd one of them.

Last edited:
Have you tried morgancomputers.co.uk? They sell surplus and refurbished stock and I'm told they're OK although I haven't used them myself. They used to have an outlet in Brum (Five Ways I think) but now they seem to be on-line only.

OldMohawk, I’ll give this a shot: The computOr was the person running the computer. The calculator was originally a relatively simple device (mechanical) that added, divided and subtracted and some even did square roots (very laborious). The calculator was electrical/electronic and had many more functions/capabilities. Even the small hand held calculators are programmable now. Anyway I think it’s something like that.

QUOTE="oldMohawk, post: 693704, member: 1669"]
thanks phil i looked and have orderd one of them.
[/QUOTE]
I have a Sony Vaio 15“ that I have as a back up. A couple of years ago I purchased a new Lenovo computer, really good unit. The Sony had 4 USB port, the Lenovo has one. The Sony has a built in receptacle for a projector. You can buy adapters but it seem they are making them lighter and lighter and taking away external feature! Depends of course what you are using it for but it was something I assumed as I focused on memory and speed!

OldMohawk, I’ll give this a shot: The computOr was the person running the computer. The calculator was originally a relatively simple device (mechanical) that added, divided and subtracted and some even did square roots (very laborious). The calculator was electrical/electronic and had many more functions/capabilities. Even the small hand held calculators are programmable now. Anyway I think it’s something like that.
Richard - I've had a look at the following site and it seems either ending can be used but I suppose one or the other comes into general use ... I think ... maybe ... :)

Richard - I've had a look at the following site and it seems either ending can be used but I suppose one or the other comes into general use ... I think ... maybe ... :)
OldMohawk, absolutely! As I get older I think/maybe is the right approach!

Back