• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Computer Help Please.

guilbert53, I am currently making a disk image & so far everything is going fine. I will use another usb to drag & drop personal files. Cheers!

Found my mislaid recovery usb then realised it was for an earlier computer so remade it for my Acer. It took an hour with 9.7Gb used. Hope I never have to use it ... ;)

For anyone using Linux Mint, the latest release of 19.3 Tricia can now be downloaded or 19.2 upgraded. I have Cinnamon and MATE, both updates from 19.2 went very smoothly. Actually Cinnamon, more or less, updated MATE at the same time they way I have them configured.

Norton or McAfee wich is best?... my subs are up next week with norton
I`ve always used Norton 360 deluxe. I believe it`s on special offer at currys, but don`t buy online if you possibly help it. The reason is buying Norton online they sometimes forget to activate it & you end up having to go to Currys in the end.

Norton or McAfee wich is best?... my subs are up next week with norton
I wouldn't use either of them. I did have Norton but thought the interface was like something from the early days of computing. I renewed it once online and then noticed it had slipped in an 'auto-renewal' ... it had my card details and could renew each year.
I was not going to allow that and it was not straight forward to block it. Eventually I decided to uninstall it and that was not easy I had to use a 'Norton Removal Tool' to completely get rid of it.

I use the built-in Windows Security, a weekly scan with Malwarebytes, and my own common sense.

I've always found Norton and McAfee rather clunky and greedy of CPU power. Having used Malwarebytes on many occasions to fix other people computer problems, I opted to buy the paid version two years ago and I've found it very good and not intrusive at all. I've no idea how prices compare however, and I leave you to make that comparisons yourself.

Maurice :cool:

The update mentioned in #248 went well but on restart the CPU was working hard and Task Manager showed that the 'Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - Jan 2020' was ploughing through my laptop and using 81% of the cpu. After a minute things quietened down because I presume it did not find anything malicious.
:)

thanks for reply all i think i will use my laptop. and do a fresh install on the desk one to .get rid of norton its slowing my machine down,and is too protective

How do i back up my files (w10) Automatically backup my files is switched on & i`ve tried to backup to usb but there`s nothing going to usb so obviously i`m doing something wrong. Usb is my preferred option. I`m also getting a window saying reconnect your drive, your file history drive has been disconnected for too long, reconnect it.?

have you unplugged the usb,waited a moment and plugged it back in.
Pete, yes, the usb is fine. I`ve had stuff on it & i`ve formatted it, so it`s not the usb. It`s probably me not doing something i should be doing. I can move the files to usb manually, but i would prefer to auto do it every day.

Pete, yes, the usb is fine. I`ve had stuff on it & i`ve formatted it, so it`s not the usb. It`s probably me not doing something i should be doing. I can move the files to usb manually, but i would prefer to auto do it every day.
i do it manualy...no doubt later the gurus will help you sort it smudge.:D

I have been trying to bluetooth some pics from my phone, and have now found out this new pc does NOT have a bluetooth
device. can you get a usb device,that is plug and play?

I have an iPhone 7 and have Microsoft's OneDrive app in it. I look at a photo in the phone and have option to upload photos to OneDrive and they appear on my Windows 10 computers in about a minute or less in the OneDrive folder on Win10. You can use this from any location provide you are logged into a wifi.

I just tried an expt. I used a usb cable from my phone to my laptop and could see every photo in my phone.
No need to use Bluetooth !

Yes Amazon have a few - search 'Bluetooth Adaptor for PC'. Try sending the pics by email to yourself and picking them up on your PC.

Back