• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Computer Help Please.

Had some 'fun' with computing today ...
I picked up my iPad this morning to look at the web and BHF and entered my 6 digit passcode and ...

Message ...Wrong passcode ...re-enter
Entered it again ... wrong again ... silly me ... have I had a brain freeze ?
Opened my passcode vault in my Windows laptop and confirmed I had the correct passcode.
Entered it again in iPad ... message 'ipad disabled for 1 minute repeated entry of wrong passcode'.
I entered it again and the iPad was now disabled for 5 minutes ...:(

Apple beginning to suspect I had found someone else's iPad and was trying to use it.

Time for some 'Googling' in my Windows laptop and advice was.

Run iTunes and open my Apple account.
Completely shut down the iPad.
Hold down the iPad 'Home' button while plugging into the Windows laptop and keep button down.
Laptop sounded connection chimes and reports connection with an iPad.
iTunes shows the serial number and reports 'this iPad has a problem'.

I'm now starting to think I am looking at an expensive shiny brick ... :worried:

Waited ages as iTunes looked at the iPad and then offered a factory restore or restore from last back up.

I had backed it up on 7th May so went for backup restore.

An hour went by with the iPad bleeping and my laptop chiming.

Then Apple wanted my full ID and password which I entered.

They then sent a verification code to my mobile phone.

I entered it in iTunes and things slowly proceeded.

Eventually a 'Welcome to Your New iPad' message appeared on the iPad.

I had to create a new pass code and a few other things and the iPad home screen appeared.

I then watched all my apps slowly downloading from the backup.

Lessons learnt
Apple security is very good but when you have to take it on it can be confusing.

Thank goodness I had backed up the iPad even though I've lost 10 day's stuff.

I wished I had been able to video myself doing all this because I pressed so many buttons I've already forgotten exactly what I did.

Now proceeding with caution because in 7 years of iPad use I have never seen anything like it.

How do i make a disc (iso) image of my entire pc onto a 64gb usb stick & can i use it to reinstall all if my pc crashes? TIA.

There is this ... I used it once but don't use it now.
The 'paid-for' version is widely used.

My procedure now is to keep all my data and images etc, on a separate partition and back-up that partition once a week to an external drive. If I need to restore Windows 10 system I use the built in W10 recovery. Used it a few times in the early life of Windows 10.

If that did not work I would use my USB Recovery drive which I had previously created as last resort.

Type 'Recovery' in windows search and Settings will open in 'Update & Security' and an option to create the USB recovery drive is available.

There is this ... I used it once but don't use it now.
The 'paid-for' version is widely used.

My procedure now is to keep all my data and images etc, on a separate partition and back-up that partition once a week to an external drive. If I need to restore Windows 10 system I use the built in W10 recovery. Used it a few times in the early life of Windows 10.

If that did not work I would use my USB Recovery drive which I had previously created as last resort.

Type 'Recovery' in windows search and Settings will open in 'Update & Security' and an option to create the USB recovery drive is available.
Smudger wants a SYSTEM IMAGE, which is different to Recovery.

Smudger wants a SYSTEM IMAGE, which is different to Recovery.
Yes I understood that which is why I suggested Macrium Reflect which will produce a disk image. I used it once when I wanted to move an existing W10 complete with it's activation code, apps, and data (the complete image ) to a replacement HDD.

In normal circumstances only my data is important to me and generally ensure that it is backed-up from it's separate partition. I can replace W10 anytime with recovery and replace apps as required.

Yes I understood that which is why I suggested Macrium Reflect which will produce a disk image. I used it once when I wanted to move an existing W10 complete with it's activation code, apps, and data (the complete image ) to a replacement HDD.

In normal circumstances only my data is important to me and generally ensure that it is backed-up from it's separate partition. I can replace W10 anytime with recovery and replace apps as required.
All that can be with windows, you do not need any more software.

I read Smudger's post that he wanted a disk image of his entire pc

How do i make a disc (iso) image of my entire pc

W10 will make a system image but will not make a disk image.

I suppose it all revolves around what Smudger wants .... system image or entire pc image.

I could not make a system image on usb (can`t remember what it said ) so i shall buy some dvd`s & do it that way (with fingers crossed )

PS A system image is a full copy of what`s on my pc or have i got that wrong? Anyway guys, thanks for your help.

A system image is a full copy of what`s on my pc or have i got that wrong? Anyway guys, thanks for your help.

I use Macrium Reflect Free to make full disk images of the 6 PCs in my house. I have been using the free version for years and never needed to pay Macrium any money. I think it is a fantastic product.

Note it does not produce an ISO (I don think you want an ISO) it produces files in Macrium's own "image" format.

Note it is fairly technical so can take a bit of time to learn.

To use it you proceed as follows:

1) Download Macrium Reflect Free from the Macrium web site and install it. This is fairly easy.

Make a Macrium "rescue" CD/DVD or USB stick. This is easy. You need this if your computer can't boot so you have to boot from the CD/DVD or USB stick to reinstall Windows.

When you want to make an image start Macrium Reflect on your PC, then from the Macrium interface select all the partitions on your disk. Select where you want the image to go (external hard drive may be best and easiest that is what I use) and begin the image creation. Takes about 10 to 15 minutes on my PCs but that is basic Windows with no personal files.

Of course you cant "test" the image as you would then overwrite the "good" Windows image on your computer.

Because I use desktop computers what I do is take out the hard disk with the "good" Windows on it, then put in a empty spare hard disk (this is not so easy to do if you have a laptop as it is harder to swap disks).

Note the "new" hard disk I put in can be a different size from the original as Macrium allows you to resize partitions when you do a restore.

I then boot from the Macrium rescue CD/DVD or USB stick I created earlier, then within Macrium point it to the image on the external hard disk I created and restore Windows from that.

It takes 10 minutes or so then I reboot the computer from this "new" hard disk and I have an exact copy of what was on the "master" hard disk I took the image from.

Note if you are running Windows 10 there are quite a few options "built in" to reinstall Windows if you get problems.

You can even create a "Windows 10 recovery drive" on to a USB stick. You can boot "Windows" from this USB stick and then try to use the Windows 10 files on your existing hard disk to try to fix the problem. For example you can do a Windows 10 reinstall (using the existing Windows files on your PC) that keeps your personal files and does not overwrite them.

You can read more about it here

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4026852/windows-create-a-recovery-drive

Below is a link to a useful page abut the different ways to reset or reinstall Windows 10 if you need to (some where you DONT need to do a full reinstall). Looks complex so many be worth reading a few times

DONT use the Backup and Restore program supplied with Windows 10 (and Windows 7 and 8), its very limited (and not a patch on Macrium). For example if your hard disk crashes and you have to replace the hard disk the restore wont work unless the new hard disk is exactly the same as the old hard disk. You cant resize partitions during a restore like you can with Macrium Reflect.

Any questions on Macrium Reflect just ask, I have been using it for years and it has never failed me.

Last edited:
Thanks again for all your replies & help. I think i`ve mentioned this before, that i have a slight problem with dyslexia & have to read most things a few time to understand it. Nevertheless, i enjoy a challenge & shall see where i go with Macrium! :dizzy:Dyslexic.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks again for all your replies & help. I think i`ve mentioned this before, that i have a slight problem with dyslexia & have to read most things a few time to understand it. Nevertheless, i enjoy a challenge & shall see where i go with Macrium! :dizzy:
1576657942458.png

As mentioned in #225 I've used Macrium Reflect and it is good but it has sat in my computers unused lately. It is 'overkill' for my simple needs. I only have 65Gb of data and images which I would not like to lose but don't use 'backup' programs. I simply plug in a 250Gb USB drive and copy the data over. It takes about 30 minutes. I have two of these drives.

I notice a well know retailer is selling a 1Tb usb plug-in drive for £44 !

I store password files and financial files on a 16Gb usb flash drive copied to another drive and only me and my son know where they are kept.
:)

Thanks again for all your replies & help. I think i`ve mentioned this before, that i have a slight problem with dyslexia & have to read most things a few time to understand it. Nevertheless, i enjoy a challenge & shall see where i go with Macrium! :dizzy:View attachment 139993
30............I was chatting with my dyslexic mate and I said "fred", can you smell gas?" He replied "Mate, I can't even smell my own name!"

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: Two
1576751195895.png
As you can see, i`ve downloaded Macrium but not sure what to do next. Do i clone this disk or image this disk. Also will i need a 128gb usb? Or would it be ok to copy just my personal files & photos & then if the worst happens & my pc dies, could i install those files onto a new pc? Thanks again for any help (the simpler the better)

Hi, Smudger, we all do things slightly differently. As mentioned in #234 I have used Macrium Reflect but what I do now is as follows ...

Copy all my important data and photos (65Gb of it) to an external HDD drive. I don't use a back-up program, I simply drag the files from where they are in the computer to the external drive. Did it yesterday and it took about 45 minutes to copy them over and while it happens I carry on using the computer.

1) Created a recovery usb ... for use if a Win 10 computer completely crashes and won't run.
2) I used Settings and clicked recovery.
3) Clicked 'Creating a Win 10 recovery drive'
4) This took me to a Microsoft website which gives full instructions and says you need a 16Gb USB

I now have a 16Gb usb for recovery. I needed one about 3 years ago when Win 10 completely crashed and I had to boot from the recovery drive. Win 10 seems much more reliable these days so probably the need has reduced.
recov.jpg

If Win 10 is simply not running correctly you can use commands in Settings which can re-install Windows either clean or keeping your existing files and data. A recovery usb is not needed for this. This is mentioned in the large Windows 10 thread.

My computers are
Dell 5770 laptop 17" screen.
Acer Aspire TC 885 desktop
Old Lenovo with Linux Mint.
Apple iPad and iPhone.

Last edited:
oM, I have started making a recovery drive. My next question is.. can i drag & drop personal files onto this usb or is it solely for recovery?
I have just checked progress of creating recovery drive, "a problem occurred cannot create recovery drive" Have tried & formatted two usb``s both have failed. I think i`ll give up trying & just drag & drop my personal files. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Smudger, it is about 3 years since I used one and as far as I remember it is just for booting your computer which has to be set to boot from a usb. I think you will find that you cannot put anything on it because it shows as disk full.

I've just looked for mine to see whats on it but I can't find it ... :rolleyes:

Most people I know with Windows computers don't bother with one. I did once recover a relative's computer with the normal Settings recovery procedures.

As you can see, i`ve downloaded Macrium but not sure what to do next. Do i clone this disk or image this disk. Also will i need a 128gb usb? Or would it be ok to copy just my personal files & photos & then if the worst happens & my pc dies, could i install those files onto a new pc? Thanks again for any help (the simpler the better)

A clone is a bit by bit copy of one hard to another hard disk, it is when you want to make an exact copy of a hard disk. This is where you may want to replace a small hard disk with a larger hard disk, or maybe move from a hard disk to an SSD. So you DONT want this option.

To make a disk image backup you need to make sure the 3 partitions have ticks against them in the screen shot above (which they do) then select the option "Image selected disks on this computer".

You then select the USB drive and folder name you want to hold the image (it may be worth creating a folder on the USB in advance) and begin the image creation.

But if you just want to backup your personal files then all you need to do is copy them (or drag and drop them) to a folder on your USB.

Make sure you copy ALL your personal files in ALL your personal folders which include "Downloads", "Documents", "Music", "Pictures", "Videos", "Favorites" and any folders you have created (folder names do vary across versions of Windows). There may also be files in your "Public" folders as well.

Back