• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Computer Help Please.

You may have accidently allowed notifications from Softonic.
You could try blocking the notification list in Chrome Settings.
You can go directly to the page in Settings by copying and pasting the following in the Chrome address bar.
chrome://settings/content/notifications
Alternatively type it in the address bar.

Having got there add Softonic to the blocked list.
The web site is below BUT I have added an hyphen in the https address to stop it being active here.
You need to remove the hyphen when you type it in your blocked list.
h_ttps://en.softonic.com/

If it is a pop up you can also block that in Chrome Settings.

Last edited:
Here is my blocked Notifications list. They must have annoyed me at sometime so they got blocked from sending notifications ... even Youtube!
Click the 'Add' button and add a blocked site.
Image2.jpg

Oldmohawk so simple when you know how. Even had microsoft take over my laptop and they did all sorts of things but still the pop ups kept coming up. I have done what you said, fingers crossed. Thanks very much

Carolina, if a Softonic notification appears again, right click on it and see if it has a different address. If it has then add it to the block list.

I have recently upgraded from w7 to w10. Every time I put my pc to sleep & wake it up again, I lose the wireless connection. A right click on the connection icon in taskbar & click on troubleshoot gets me connected again & a window showing, "problem with wireless adapter or access point" I have it set to automatic connect when in range. I never had this problem with w7.:confused:

I have sometimes lost wireless connection (not lately) but the troubleshooter usually sorted it but once I had to fiddle about as in the following https://www.thewindowsclub.com/wifi-gets-disconnected-after-sleep
Also I once had to make a previous laptop completely forget my router and then re-connect with password etc. If you have recently upgraded to Windows 10 it might pay to check the integrity of your system files by opening the Command Window (Admin) or with the latest W10 Powershell (Admin) and run sfc /scannow. The space after sfc is important and it can take 30mins. I ran it recently and it corrected something in my latest laptop.

I have sometimes lost wireless connection (not lately) but the troubleshooter usually sorted it but once I had to fiddle about as in the following https://www.thewindowsclub.com/wifi-gets-disconnected-after-sleep
Also I once had to make a previous laptop completely forget my router and then re-connect with password etc. If you have recently upgraded to Windows 10 it might pay to check the integrity of your system files by opening the Command Window (Admin) or with the latest W10 Powershell (Admin) and run sfc /scannow. The space after sfc is important and it can take 30mins. I ran it recently and it corrected something in my latest laptop.
sfc/scannow would not work, need to be "administrator running network session"? Tried unticking the save power button whilst in sleep mode, that didn`t work either. I even tried disabling network adapter & installing a TP link wireless adapter which seemed to work but disconnected as soon as I tried to connect to the internet. I think i`ll just have to use the network troubleshoot problem when it goes off. Bit of a nuisance but not frustrating.

sfc/scannow would not work, need to be "administrator running network session"? Tried unticking the save power button whilst in sleep mode, that didn`t work either. I even tried disabling network adapter & installing a TP link wireless adapter which seemed to work but disconnected as soon as I tried to connect to the internet. I think i`ll just have to use the network troubleshoot problem when it goes off. Bit of a nuisance but not frustrating.
Which version of W10 are you running ... is it an early version?
To find this you can right click on the window icon, left click 'run' in window which appears, and type winver in the run box.

Also if you right click on the window icon and click Command Prompt (Admin) you should be able to run sfc /scannow.
Note on my device, Command Prompt has been replaced by Powershell ... same thing but prettier.
Screenshot (168).jpg

Last edited:
Which version of W10 are you running ... is it an early version?
To find this you can right click on the window icon, left click 'run' in window which appears, and type winver in the run box.

Also if you right click on the window icon and click Command Prompt (Admin) you should be able to run sfc /scannow.
Note on my device, Command Prompt has been replaced by Powershell ... same thing but prettier.
View attachment 130255
I`m using version 1809. I ran the sfc /scannow & found no problems. Disconnecting after put in sleep mode is not a major problem, just means I have to run the network troubleshooter. I was disappointed that w10 didn`t have the same games as w7, but I found a download & now I can play the old w7 games.:) From an amateur point of view I can`t see much of an improvement from w7. I thought it wise to upgrade as I don`t know how much longer w7 will be supported.

Yes I tend to run W10 very much like W7, task bar and desktop with shortcuts as can be seen here.
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/windows-10.45268/post-628958
I do use the Start menu full screen with a press of the Windows Key for things I don't have on the task bar.
I find the 5Gb free OneDrive useful as a cloud drive for moving pics from phones and tablets to computers etc.
I read somewhere that MS will end support for W7 in Jan 2020. Version W10 1809 is the latest

I've had a strange thing happen.
Using the Chrome browser (my usual) I tried to upload two images from my W10 laptop to City Centre Photographs thread but the 'Attach Files' button would not respond.
So I shut down the laptop and restarted (highly technical) and Chrome still would not upload images.
Cleared the Chrome cache, logged out from forum and logged back in ... Chrome would not upload images.
Tried the Edge browser and the 'Attach Files' button worked and I uploaded two images, they can be seen.
Tried IE 11 and this would upload images.
Tried Chrome in my Desktop computer ... Chrome would not upload images.

To eliminate Windows 10 from the question I started up a Linux Mint computer and Chrome in it still would not upload images.
When I use the Chrome browser with any device the 'Attach Files' button is dead.

I can however force Chrome to upload images by dragging them from my computer into the forum.

Can any other Chrome user upload an image here using the 'Attach Files' button?

Thanks Mike, perhaps if an ordinary member can try just in case it is your Admin status allowing it to work ... :)

Only use Chrome. Haven't tried today but uploaded some images last night using "attach files"
I uploaded images yesterday and intended to upload some today but the 'attach files' was unresponsive. I have found a 'work-around' which is to click the mouse on the button then press 'enter' on the keyboard. I'm trying to work out why !

Last edited:
Have you checked that Chrome is up-to-date? Click the three dots (top right), select Help then About Google Chrome. It will then tell you if it's up-to-date and if not will do an update.

Have you checked that Chrome is up-to-date? Click the three dots (top right), select Help then About Google Chrome. It will then tell you if it's up-to-date and if not will do an update.
Yes Google Chrome is up to date
Version 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit)
The thing that puzzles me is I'm getting the same thing when using Chrome with the Linux Mint OS in my old desktop computer, so I can't blame Microsoft Windows ...:)

At 7.04 this morning tested image upload from Win 10 and Chrome and would not work normally unless I used a work-around. Tried same using Linux and Chrome and still needed a work-around to upload but a message flashed up about authorised users, it did not make sense so shut down Linux and went back to my W10 laptop.

Tried image upload from Chrome and would not work normally so looked at the news, weather, and other stuff then at 8.30 decided to have a real go at sorting out the problem ... but did not need to ... suddenly everything was back to normal !!!

Now running a deep virus and spyware scan on W10 ... just in case ...:cool:

I've found a post with those strange characters in it see screenshot below. When it was posted long ago, the BHF used vBulletin software which probably displayed something different. The BHF now uses Xenforo software which displays what you see.
characters.jpg

thanks. for that mike. i tryd making them strange letters à}|ÿ›

Attachments

• strange key letters.png
    strange key letters.png
    165.2 KB · Views: 11
Back