• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Computer Help Please.

Thanks wam. Does anyone know of a safe youtube mp3 converter? It seems everyone i`ve tried has been flagged as dangerous by Norton or Malwarebytes. There`s some good music on youtube that i`d like to download safely. If someone could steer me to a safe converter it would be much appreciated.

"4K YouTube to Mp3 down loader" comes with no adverts, no pups and no unwanted extra programs they also do a YouTube video down loader which I also use. Both the basic free versions are okay, J.

I have a problem which I hope you clever computer people can sort out. I'm on Windows 7, Google Chrome. For reasons I don't understand my computer no longer downloads and installs Windows update. I've tried the various available 'fixes' and suggestions, but to no avail. So if anyone can point me in the right direction to fix this problem, I'd be very grateful. Thanks in advance.

G

I have a problem which I hope you clever computer people can sort out. I'm on Windows 7, Google Chrome. For reasons I don't understand my computer no longer downloads and installs Windows update. I've tried the various available 'fixes' and suggestions, but to no avail. So if anyone can point me in the right direction to fix this problem, I'd be very grateful. Thanks in advance.

G

Is it automatic updates that you can't get, Big Gee? If so, you need to put up "Search" in your menu, type in "windows updates", then choose "how to receive updates" and select automatic. Or you can simply click to "check for updates". If you can't get updates those ways, then perhaps somebody with more tech knowledge can help.

Regards, Ray T.

Have a look at https://www.repairwin.com/windows-update-8007000e-error-solved/ Follow Method 1 and it should sort out the problem. Make sure you download the correct version of KB3102810 from the link (probably the top one in the list if you are running a 32bit OS). It's a bit long winded but I've had to follow this procedure on two occasions and it's worked both times. It can take a while for the updates to get going again after doing all this.

Last edited:
Thanks for your much-appreciated help, chaps. I'm out now until tomorrow, when I'll get stuck in and see if I can sort things out per your suggestions.

G

Thanks wam. Does anyone know of a safe youtube mp3 converter? It seems everyone i`ve tried has been flagged as dangerous by Norton or Malwarebytes. There`s some good music on youtube that i`d like to download safely. If someone could steer me to a safe converter it would be much appreciated.

Easy way of doing this....select the Youtube content you want to download and click on it to start it playing. In the address bar you will see something like "www.youtube.com/watch....."

Now, just insert "ss" before the "youtube.com" so it becomes "www.ssyoutube.com/watch....." and hit return. You will then be taken to a page that invites you to "Get the handy app etc. etc." DON'T click on this but go down the page to the bit that says "But if you’re okay with slower download speed and limitations on file formats, feel free to download video in browser".

Click on the link and your video will download. Works like a dream. Hope this helps, regards S23.

Hi chaps,

I tried your suggestions but no go - computer still won't update. It's doubtless all down to my general uselessness with computers, even though I've been using them for 30 years. Will try again later. Otherwise I'll have a word with my teccy friend when he's back from holiday.

Thanks again,

G

Hi OM,

I tried your link per Post No 39, and after a while I got a box telling me that three 'problems' had been identified and fixed. Progress! The next step was to run 'checking for updates', and it's still doing this after more than 12 hours! I'll leave it going overnight, but I have my doubts.....many thanks for your help and advice, though.

G

Hi Big G, I haven't used W7 since mid 2015 but do remember problems with Windows updates. There was one particular update which always failed even though I tried everything to install it. You could try running sfc /scannow (the space after sfc is important) in the run or command prompt box to check whether any of your system files are corrupted.
oldmohawk
ps: I've just had a 'Google' .... have a look at https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-updates/ad6cfeef-232a-49b4-a57b-39978eea6630

Hi OM,

have downloaded the Microsoft article via the link in your last post, and will give it a go over the weekend. Many thanks.

G

Hi OM,

have downloaded the Microsoft article via the link in your last post, and will give it a go over the weekend. Many thanks.

G
Note the bit about your computer not being connected to the internet while the process runs. It must not contact the Microsoft update server during the process ... :)

This is a software question. I have just tried to use the updated version of "Britain From Above". What has previously always been a user friendly experience has become a nightmare! Any hints please. When a picture is selected it is unstable and I was left with a pale blue screen that wouldn't go away.

It does seem more complicated for one who used it previously, but not had the problem you describe

This is a software question. I have just tried to use the updated version of "Britain From Above". What has previously always been a user friendly experience has become a nightmare! Any hints please. When a picture is selected it is unstable and I was left with a pale blue screen that wouldn't go away.
I occasionally had that problem with the previous version which required opening and closing of my browser, but not seen it on the new version which runs well for me.

Yes, signed in. We are discussing this problem on two threads, here and "Britain from Above". I have now sent a comment to the website outlining the problem that "Frothblower and myself are having.

I have made the mistake of buying a tablet ( Acer Iconia one ten) which didn`t have a hdmi port which would have made it easy to connect to a tv. To overcome this, i bought a Slimport adapter with micro usb & hdmi female port & connected the micro usb to my tablet, & a normal hdmi cable to the female port of the Slimport & to a hdmi port on the tv, but it`s not working! The Slimport adapter is supposed to be compatible with the tablet. If this makes sense to anyone & they can offer help it would be greatfully appreciated.

I use a Chromecast (£30) plugged into my TV and cast from an iPad to watch anything such as BT Sport. My iPad has no usb only a charger socket so can't connect hdmi cables etc. Have a look at the following website ... scroll down to look at Chromecast compatibility with specific tablets'.
https://www.compatibull.com/wiki/Chromecast_compatible_phones,_computers_and_tablets
old Mohawk, i`ve had a gander at the above website & indeed, my tablet is compatible with Chromecast. Trouble is, i`ve bought this Slimport adapter + hdmi cable which is supposed to be compatible with my tablet, & i`m reluctant to give up without trying all avenues to get it working ( plus the wife will give me that "look" which says i`ve wasted enough money.) If i can`t get it working with this adapter, then i shall take £30 out of my "secret stash" & buy the Chromecast & she will never know. Question, I only have standard broadband (3.2mb) will there be any lag using the Chromecast?

Smudger,
Your cable should in theory work but probably needs settings to be exactly set and the latest drivers. I rarely use cables these days so can't help there. The Chromecast works in a slightly unusual way, the tablet merely launches it and then the Chromecast streams from the internet. For example if I watch a football match on BT Sport, I start it and then can actually switch off my iPad and the Chromecast carries on itself.

If you are already streaming from the internet with 3.2Mbs then it should be ok although marginal.
I had a look on Google (as you have probably already done so) and saw the following although not with your tablet.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/g...tting-needed-use-slimport-hdmi-connector.html

Smudger,
Your cable should in theory work but probably needs settings to be exactly set and the latest drivers. I rarely use cables these days so can't help there. The Chromecast works in a slightly unusual way, the tablet merely launches it and then the Chromecast streams from the internet. For example if I watch a football match on BT Sport, I start it and then can actually switch off my iPad and the Chromecast carries on itself.

If you are already streaming from the internet with 3.2Mbs then it should be ok although marginal.
I had a look on Google (as you have probably already done so) and saw the following although not with your tablet.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/g...tting-needed-use-slimport-hdmi-connector.html
I`ve just had a look at the above web page & it seems i`m not alone with having problems with this gadget. There are a few workarounds offered so will give them a try tomorrow. I seem to have the same Slimport as others. Might try a shorter hdmi cable.

Attachments

• Slimport.jpg
    Slimport.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 2
Hi Smudger, there are quite a number of Youtube videos about making Slimports work. If you have a smartphone try plugging in to that in order to see what happens just in case it is a faulty socket on your tablet.

Hi Smudger, I've had a look at the Acer Iconia One 10 specifications and cannot see that it has HDMI output.

Hi Guys,

For about 30 quid from Amazon, you can get an analogue to HDMI convertor. I use one when using my old laptop to convert to HDMI TV when giving tutorials to members of our Photo Group. Just one more bit of gear to carry around, but if you're always using it at home, no problem. Let me know if you want further details.

Maurice

I have given up trying to get hooked up to the tv using the Slimport adapter. I have a B/B Playbook, which wasn`t working which is why i bought the Acer. This morning i scoured the web looking for ideas how to get the Playbook working & most of the "cures" involved taking the thing apart which i did not fancy; but one tip i thought i would try. It involved plugging the B/B into the mains for 15 seconds, removing it & plugging back in for 50 to 100 times, (very tedious) but it worked & now my B/B (which has a hdmi port ) is working fine. I`m returning the adapter for a refund. Anyway chaps, thanks for your help. BHF is full of nice helpful people.

I've just tested with the following
Windows 10 and Chrome no problems
Windows 10 and Edge image zoomed and cannot be reduced .. unusable.
iOS and Safari no problems
iOS and Chrome no problems
Linux and Chrome no problems

Back