• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Computer Help Please.

First thing and don't kick me is to think back to what has happened since you last were able to send. What is the error code you get? Can you go back to a previous point when it did work OK?

Silly thought Ernie, when you are composing e-mail, is your computer automatically sending them to draft status - mine does sometimes and then I cant send it, until I re-open it in the draft folder, hit continue compose and then it will send - worth a look.
Sue

Might be worth resetting your modem/hub, had a similar problem accessing various websites including BT and resetting cured the problem.

Hi GER22VAN - need a bit more info!

1.What are you using for emails - web based, Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird etc?
2. Are you getting any error messages?
3. Do the emails stay in your outbox or disappear?
4. Can you access the Internet OK (presumably yes or you couldn't have posted your question!!)

I think that I had the trouble some time back and changed to Virgin from BT, could not access the internet but that part is now fixed. I use Outlook Express,Emails stay in my my out box. I shall have to recheck that error message I get.
Many Thanks to everyone.

I get PopOrange but I thought I should now be with Virgin.
D'ont quite understand it. Should be paying for Orange untill next month.

You need to check all the account settings, particularly the port numbers which are not the same in all email clients and the server names. You should be able to google 'email settings for Virgin' (for example) to get the info if you don't have it already.

Last edited:
I have always been with BT since having a PC 8 years ago and never had any major problems, think they are the best server for people like me who are not to PC wise. Simple and straight forward, on the odd occassion I have had a problem i find their tech help/advice easy to follow and problem always solved. Also find their email section simple and reliable. Eric

Does anyone use a VPN on win 7? I`ve been looking into using a VPN on my laptop, But it looks a bit complicated for a non techie like me. Is it simple & if i mess up will i be able to put things back to the way they were? Also, is it extra security from hackers/malware?

My son uses a VPN for his business when he is travelling around and may need to use a 'public wifi hot spot'. I'd stay like the rest of us Smudger ! ...:D

you can use cyberghost on win 7 its a free download and you can use it for upto 3 hours before being cut off and then just log on again kind reguards sidwho

Sidwho,
I`ve tried the free version of cyberghost & I`m not that impressed. I had to wait for a free slot to become available, & apart from anonymity it doesn`t offer much in the way of security unless you upgrade to the premium version. If I knew that the premium version was any good, then I might consider it, but the free version is not for me.

Apparently the latest Opera browser includes a VPN. I haven't tried it though. I have never used a VPN though, I might try it one day.

Apparently the latest Opera browser includes a VPN. I haven't tried it though. I have never used a VPN though, I might try it one day.
It doesn`t include anonymity for p2p file sharing. Big brother is out there watching us :-}

I was downloading when i noticed i`d been disconnected from the net, but my download was still continuing. How is this possible? I was using a vpn & bit comet. I just don`t understand how you can do a p2p download when not on the net?

Back