• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Computer Help Please.

I've found a post with those strange characters in it see screenshot below. When it was posted long ago, the BHF used vBulletin software which probably displayed something different. The BHF now uses Xenforo software which displays what you see.
characters.jpg

thanks. for that mike. i tryd making them strange letters à}|ÿ›

Attachments

• strange key letters.png
    strange key letters.png
    165.2 KB · Views: 11
Do they appear when you are typing?

On keypads such as iPads or iPhones, and many others I presume...if you hold your finger on say the letter a for a short period of time you will see a choice of àáäæ and a few other. If you are in capitals you would see  à and others.

If you run your finger upwards you can choose which one you want, but if you swipe a little upwards before removing your finger it will choose the one of them.

The characters are for languages that use accents.

Do they appear when you are typing?

On keypads such as iPads or iPhones, and many others I presume...if you hold your finger on say the letter a for a short period of time you will see a choice of àáäæ and a few other. If you are in capitals you would see  à and others.

If you run your finger upwards you can choose which one you want, but if you swipe a little upwards before removing your finger it will choose the one of them.

The characters are for languages that use accents.[/QUOTE
i am old fashioned i use a desktop or lap top pc.:laughing:if i hold a key nothing. to get that strange letter i have to put number lock on,hold alt and press 0194 then loose alt .Â. no way could i put a line.like in some posts

I think the symbols may have originally been smilies

I thought that Mike. Also as OM said they are only on older posts. I don't think anyone actually typed them. It was a bit like I used to get a square on my old phone if someone sent a message with an emoticon in.

When I searched to find an example to get the screenshot in #205 I only found one forum name (no longer a member) who had those characters in a post. They seemed to appear at the end of sentences and the actual smiley was there.

With regard to iPads, the predictive text is brilliant.:)

Is there any way to watch videos on the BBC website without downloading flash player which I believe has security issues?

Is there any way to watch videos on the BBC website without downloading flash player which I believe has security issues?

I access the BBC player on my SmartTV, Smudger. That doesn't need a flashplayer, so I don't know why you need it with a computer. And I thought standard computer software already had a flashplayer included. They sometimes ask to be updated.

Regards, Ray T.

Looks like they only use Flash now on older computers (Windows XP) or older browsers and now use HTML5.

The help says:

"There are two media players used across bbc.co.uk (Flash and HTML5). If we give you Flash player by default and you want to switch to HTML5 head over to bbc.co.uk/html5 where you can easily check this and change to HTML5. If you don't see an option to change to HTML5, it's because you're already using the HTML5 player."

The help above came from here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/troubleshooting/web/troubleshooting_pc_mac

Note Flash is gradually being phased out and replaced by HTML5. Any decent web site should be replacing Flash with HTML5.

Many of the newer Browsers (like Edge and Chrome) now disable Flash by default and only turn it on (after asking you first) if a web site needs it.

I have recently bought a Sony Bravia tv. Is there any way i can download a audio codec to it? I have downloaded some tv series & the first episode played ok, but the 2nd episode said audio codec not supported. I have internet on tv but don`t really know how to download anything on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Back