• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Company Staff Courses Work or Play ?

oldMohawk

gone but not forgotten
Just a few photos of a GKN Management Course at Magdelene College Cambridge I went on for 3 weeks in September 1969. There were people from Screws & Fasteners Heath St Smethwick, and people from Garringtons Bromsgrove, and even an Aussie, who at first thought there was too much play and not enough work, but he soon got into the swing of things as we pretended to be students. The 1st pic shows the whole course in front of the Samuel Pepys Library - my 2nd shows us punting on the River Cam, we let the Aussie have the pole - punting was fun but the water under the bridge was about 10ft deep and 2ft in other places. My 3rd shows 'my study' which had a lovely bow window overlooking the River Cam. Note the old Gas Fire, had to put it on one night, but I left some money in the meter. My 4th shows us dining in a hall where we passed the Port to the left college style, we got rather merry. My 5th shows a bridge which I think was called the Mathematical.
We had to climb over the college wall one night because the gate porter had locked us out. The course was actually quite tough and some of the people in the 1st pic went on to make GKN into a the large global company it is today.
cam009.jpg

cam010.jpg
cam011.jpg

cam012.jpg
cam013.jpg

Phill, I had another SENIOR MOMENT??? seeing you looking the the same as I remember you after all these years & then I clocked the date Sept 69.
WOW I was thinking what is this guy on, he is no older, then that date!!!
SORRY MATE TIME MOVES ON & WE ALL HAVE TO FOLLOW
THE BARON (ASTON) Keith

Keith,
Wish I could have a 'junior moment' and get back to 1969.
Remember sitting and listening live to the 1st moon landing ?
Buzz telling Neil he had 27 sec fuel left with Neil still trying to find a flat place to land !
I've spent some time today on a major virus check on my laptop, you might have seen my post yesterday where I couldn't login to the forum from my laptop but could from my desktop.
All clean and sorted now.
Phil

THE EAGLE AS LANDED What a great nights TV that was booked a day of work next day just to see to re run's Ho & get some sleep.
I followed all the moon landings was well into the thought of us humans going off to space, JUST LIKE MY HERO "DAN DARE" .
My wife managed to get me the first photo slides of the moon landing to be relesed from Nasa, I THOUGHT IT WAS THE START OF SOMETING BIG, But like all thing in this world if its not got Joe public behind it,it goes no where fast.
You know Phill, those of our generation have had the best 50 decades of eras history. Just think of all that man?/woman has acheived in our short life span.
END OF "WORLD WAR" (I know not the end of war it self but is a start).
MAN/WOMAN IN SPACE.
MOBILE PHONES.
THE INTERNET.
SUPER SONIC FLIGHT.
THE FIRST JET.(BRITISH COMET).
THE FIRST SUPER SONIC AIR LINER.(CONCORDE).
WORLD WATER SPEED RECORD. (DONALD CAMBELL BRITISH).
WORLD LAND SPEED RECORD.(BRITISH)
FIRST SINGLE A ROUND THE WORLD SAILINGS FOR BOTH MAN & WOMAN.(BRITISH).
EVEREST CONQURED (NZ/BRITISH/NAPAULES?).
FIRST HEART TRANSPANT.
FIRST LUNG TRANSPLANT PLUS ALL THE OTHER ORGANS THAT ARE NOW TAKEN FOR GRANTED.
ASTON VILLA WINNING THE FA & EUROPEAN CUP (I JUST HAD TO GET THAT ON IN)

Can you Guy's tell me any more you feel are in need of shouting about? it been a fantstic ERA
THE BARON

Back