• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Company name on photo???

pollypops

master brummie
This is a photo I found in amongst our old family photos.
The photo is badly creased but I wondered if someone with a good photo programme could tell me the name of the company that is above the doors/window.

I think my mum must have worked there. It would have probably ? been around the Ladywood area of Birmingham.
Possibly late 40's early 50's??.
If someone can tell me what it says, any info on the company would be great.

Thanks, Polly :)

I can make out (I think ppart of the name and it looks liek ? SHERBORNE ?

Could it have been the Sherborne Rubber Company?

The tweaked photo below seems to show it was :
RUSHBORNE DEVELOPMENTS LTD. industrial & household soaps, 219-223 Cheapside 5.
Have added a bit of contrast.to the whole photot also. the experts can probably do much better in rehabilitating it.

rushborne_developments.jpg

rushborne_developments_workers~0.jpg

That was a quick response - thank you everyone! i couldn't make out what it said - if I tried to zoom in it just went blured - and it made me realise my screen needed cleaning!

I think it might say RUSHBORNE DEVELOPMENTS LTD - where about was Cheapside?

Cheapside is at the back of the wholesale market and goes uphill towards the Moseley Rd. Dek

wow thanks Mike - I have just had a look at the view you sent me and the building does look similar - there seems to be places where doors have been changed into windows etc.

Strange to think that may be it and that is where she may have gone every day to work.

Isn't it amazing what you can find from a creased up photo and a good photo programme.

more information for my family folder - Thank you. :)

This is a photo I found in amongst our old family photos.
The photo is badly creased but I wondered if someone with a good photo programme could tell me the name of the company that is above the doors/window.

I think my mum must have worked there. It would have probably ? been around the Ladywood area of Birmingham.
Possibly late 40's early 50's??.
If someone can tell me what it says, any info on the company would be great.

Thanks, Polly :)

I can't do much better than this. If you send me a larger file size, I can do a bit better and also take the creases out for you.

Humph

Thanks Humph.

I have looked on the internet but can't seem to find anything else about this company - Thank you to everyone for helping :)

Polly
From the look of the following, from London Gazette, they went belly up in 1952
Name of Company—RUSHBORNE DEVELOPMENTS
Limited. Address of Registered Office
—​
219-223, Cheapside, Birmingham 5, Nature
of Business—MANUFACTURERS of SOAP
SUBSTITUTES. Court—BIRMINGHAM. No.
of Matter—2 of 1952. Amount per £— ll£d.
First or Final, or otherwise—First and Final.
When Payable—July 7, 1955. Where Payable—
The Official Receiver's Office, Somerset House,

37, Temple Street, Birmingham 2.

mike

I think, though am not an expert, that it means that the company went into administration/was bankrupted in 1952 and then notice was listing the payout to creditors in 1955. Anyone mor einto this sort of thing please correct me if i am wrong
Mike

That is similar to when [the first] Powehouse went belly up. I have now received two payouts from extended warranties that failed and there may be another depending upon how many more assets the administrators are able to realise. Will equal about 10% of what I paid in at best.

Polly, the downfall of a limited liability company can be quite a drawn-out process, as Mike and Bernie have said. Rushborne Developments Ltd brings up nothing on Google (except for this thread!), as you've already discovered. The London Gazette provides a detailed chronology of the story in this case (the dates are the actual dates of the "incidents" described, not the date of publication in the LG):
8 Nov 1951: winding-up petition presented by J Abrahams & Sons Ltd (London advertising agents).
26 Nov 1951: hearing in Companies Court.
28 Dec 1951: contributories and creditors meetings.
9 Feb 1955: re intended dividend; last day for receiving proofs of entitlement; liquidator: Rudolf Kynoch Clark.
5 May 1955: ditto.
7 July 1955: first and final dividend of 11.875 pence in the pound (less than 5%) payable (Mike posted this one above).
13 Feb 1956: release of liquidator.
26 Sep 1958: intention to remove company name from Companies Register.
20 Jan 1959: company name removed from Register and company dissolved.​

Last edited:
Thanks Thylacine
It is a drawn out process isn't it. Thanks for posting the information - it is very interesting and now I also know my mum must have worked there before Nov 1951.
Polly :)

Can't help much with the date except to say they are listed 1949-50, but not 1944
Mike

Thanks mike,

Another possible work place is Snow White Laundries, Gt Hampton St, Birmingham
Would you be able to tell me where on Gt Hampton St it was?
I think ? this may have been after working at Rushborne Developments.

Polly :)

Not able to help there, Polly. It is not listed in the 1940. 45,49,50,55,56,62 65 or 69 directories. Might be under the name of the owner, or very small and not listed.
Mike

Back