• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Community Hall Pheasey Estate

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
A cartoon from 1939. Not sure how to take this, as one of the things that the new 1930s estates initially lacked was a sense of community and few facilities to foster that sense of community.

Where abouts was this Hall and is it still there ? Viv.

238E064A-F118-4265-B226-EF3AC8619A2F.jpeg

I notice the sign on the gate says Pheasey Estate, Great Barr. That took my mind to the Great Barr Cottage thread - still to be solved. Great Barr seems to have been another of those areas which covered an awful lot of acres.

I'm surprised that the First National Housing Trust donated £10,000 which which was a large amount of money in those days. They owned all the houses on the Beeches and Pheasey estates and rented them out. They were good although rather strict landlords not allowing any alteration to the houses. They painted the windows and doors at least once every three years and always carried out repairs. One of my comments from 2012 ...
My memory of the Pheasey Estate is that the houses were virtually the same as those on the Beeches Estate where I lived, and were owned by the strict First National Housing Trust.

They had two downstairs rooms, a frontroom not used much, and a backroom about 10ft square known as the 'kitchen' but really a room for cooking, eating, washing, and sitting. The backroom had a chimmney breast with open fire grate and oven, and to the left was a cupboard and drawers. On the other side of the fire grate was a gas cooker and in another corner a crock sink, and old gas boiler for the wash, and a clothes rack which could be lowered from the ceiling.

Next to the kitchen was a lavatory, coal house, and a pantry.

When the housing trust sold the houses to the tenants, most people moved the toilet upstairs to the bathroom, a coal house was built outside, and the area converted into what would now be recognised as kitchen. The old 'kitchen' then became a normal living room.

It's funny how a thread brings up a memory, one that has suddenly come to me is of my sister, mom and me in the 'kitchen' on a rainy afternoon doing a jigsaw puzzle and singing along to a tune on the 'wireless' Pedro the Fisherman, which maybe dates it, but enough nostalgia for now.
There was a well used Community Hall on the Beeches Estate and I'm now wondering whether they paid for that.

Last edited:
The First National Housing Trust had offices in what was locally known as the 'White House' located on Beeches Road just before the junction with Hassop Road. Tenants visited the office to report problems or for some to explain why they were late with the rent. Two community halls (for the Beeches Estate) were built on a flat piece of land on the opposite corner of Hassop Road just beyond the man in this view dated 1941.
Perhaps they also had an office on the Pheasey Estate but where ?
Whitehouse1941.jpg

This photo (post 7) I have seen before, presumably here on BHF. If it is here, then maybe some more detail was provided in the thread where it is.

The other post was uploaded by me. It had two coppermine images visible if the quote below is expanded.
These old photos are dated 1941. All the houses in the area were rented from the 1st National Housing Trust, who managed their properties in a fairly strict manner. The White House was the 'Estate Office' which tenants visited when they were late with the rent etc.

In the other old photo, the object on the traffic island is a water tank which the fire brigade could use when dealing with fires caused by enemy bombing at that time. In the distance is Scarsdale Rd hill, and in winter we use to sledge down it and whizz straight across the dual carriageway.
White_House__1941.jpg

Hassop_and_Beeches_Road_WW2.jpg

The First National Housing Trust had offices in what was locally known as the 'White House' located on Beeches Road just before the junction with Hassop Road. Tenants visited the office to report problems or for some to explain why they were late with the rent. Two community halls (for the Beeches Estate) were built on a flat piece of land on the opposite corner of Hassop Road just beyond the man in this view dated 1941.
Perhaps they also had an office on the Pheasey Estate but where ?
View attachment 136744
The Pheasey Estate Offices for First National Housing Trust and later Henry Boot Ltd were at Pheasey Farm and the Old Barn at Pheasey Farm. Does anyone have any photographs of Pheasey Farm buildings? Intriguing that there are so few!!

lyn that is fairly a resent building (few years old) built on a corner plot on virgin land, remember the empty plot well

yes i thought it was more recent dave...the pic i have posted of the dance ticket must be from the original community hall

lyn

My only story about the First National Housing Trust is from my time at Brooklyn Garage, Mr Maybury owned it and his sister owned the plot up on the next corner, she sold her plot for housing to the First National Housing Trust with a conditional clause saying that it was not to be used for any motor trade use.

They immediately sold it on to Gulf Oil to build a filling station and workshop, Maybury tried to block it through the clause in the sale contract but was told in no uncertain terms "We're big enough to fight off any challenge at any cost."

The filling station was built, I'm not sure if it survived or is still there, the first two tenants both went broke.

My only story about the First National Housing Trust is from my time at Brooklyn Garage, Mr Maybury owned it and his sister owned the plot up on the next corner, she sold her plot for housing to the First National Housing Trust with a conditional clause saying that it was not to be used for any motor trade use.

They immediately sold it on to Gulf Oil to build a filling station and workshop, Maybury tried to block it through the clause in the sale contract but was told in no uncertain terms "We're big enough to fight off any challenge at any cost."

The filling station was built, I'm not sure if it survived or is still there, the first two tenants both went broke.
Excellent story Eric. Didn't First National Housing Trust have an woman employee up to the beginning of the war who used to check on whether housewives had done the dusting or changed the sheets in their rented houses?!! My parents were in the next phase of Henry Boot houses in the mid-50's, but neighbours who bought the the ex-army houses after the U.S. army left remembered her.

Wartime pics of the building which was intended to be a school but was then taken over by the U.S Army and today is a Community Centre can be seen in another thread per link below.
When Collingwood School was used by the United States Army. A soldier on guard and some jeeps can be seen.
index.php

A close-up of a guard at the school.
index.php

Today it is a Community Centre with an interesting history.
index.php

Welcome Carolann. There’s a picture of the Barn (post #84 posted by DaveM) on this thread here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/us-base-pheasey-estate.4180/page-5

Viv
Vivienne, as I can see you are Supermoderator and not knowing who to contact to ask this or how - being new to the forum (and on a different subject) I am helping a local charity to compile a history display - how can I access or ask for permission to use a few photographs on the BHF, if I come across any? It's Sandwell Valley. Thank you.

Hello Carolann. Members post images on here from a whole range of sources, and do so willingly to help inform and interest others. Sometimes they will include a source which its advisable to quote if used for another purpose. There is no commercial benefit or gain by members posting images on this forum, the purpose being to increase our knowledge and understanding of Birmingham history. So they are used in a more educational context.

Likewise, if you decide to make use of any photographs in your display, we’d advise you to give the original reference and/or acknowledgement of BHF as your source.

If you’re interested in personal images members have posted, I recommend (and as a common courtesy) you check directly with the member concerned before using them. You can contact another member by sending them a personal message (the envelope icon on the blue bar at the top of this page - then press ‘start a conversation’).

If you have a question about any of the images, or anything else, please contact me. Happy to help.

And good luck with the history display.

Regards Viv.

Hello Carolann. Members post images on here from a whole range of sources, and do so willingly to help inform and interest others. Sometimes they will include a source which its advisable to quote if used for another purpose. There is no commercial benefit or gain by members posting images on this forum, the purpose being to increase our knowledge and understanding of Birmingham history. So they are used in a more educational context.

Likewise, if you decide to make use of any photographs in your display, we’d advise you to give the original reference and/or acknowledgement of BHF as your source.

If you’re interested in personal images members have posted, I recommend (and as a common courtesy) you check directly with the member concerned before using them. You can contact another member by sending them a personal message (the envelope icon on the blue bar at the top of this page - then press ‘start a conversation’).

If you have a question about any of the images, or anything else, please contact me. Happy to help.

And good luck with the history display.

Regards Viv.
Viv Thank you very much for your help on this. Information much appreciated. Regards Carolann

Back