• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Communication Row 1854

That's a great photo John to get a perspective from above, i had only seen it from the old OS maps previously.

Was there any leather works near to here other than the leather goods factory on Bishopgate Street? My g-g-Grandfather Joshua Nicholas was a boot maker / riveter / repairer for nearly all his life and lived on Ellis Street, then Holliday Street (c.1900-1916) then Communication Row (1917-1931). I'm assuming his place of work would have been nearby but i've been told the leather factory on Bishopgate Street was leather goods as opposed to a shoe/boot factory.

A slightly seperate place-related inquiry... his son (my great grandfather) detailed his residence as 18 Bishops Avenue, Bishopgate Street when he married on Christmas Day 1918 (St Immanuel on Broad Street). Are there any photos out there of Bishops Avenue around this time? I have searched the forum and can only find photos of Bishopgate Street.

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan

That's a great photo John to get a perspective from above, i had only seen it from the old OS maps previously.

Was there any leather works near to here other than the leather goods factory on Bishopgate Street? My g-g-Grandfather Joshua Nicholas was a boot maker / riveter / repairer for nearly all his life and lived on Ellis Street, then Holliday Street (c.1900-1916) then Communication Row (1917-1931). I'm assuming his place of work would have been nearby but i've been told the leather factory on Bishopgate Street was leather goods as opposed to a shoe/boot factory.

A slightly seperate place-related inquiry... his son (my great grandfather) detailed his residence as 18 Bishops Avenue, Bishopgate Street when he married on Christmas Day 1918 (St Immanuel on Broad Street). Are there any photos out there of Bishops Avenue around this time? I have searched the forum and can only find photos of Bishopgate Street.

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan
Are you aware that on the 1921 census Joshua was working at Wollesly Ltd. at Adderlry Park ? (I assume that is Wolseley Ltd. the motor car builders).

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan
Jonathan I don't know whether this will help with your dates , but there was a leather factory at the bottom part of Bishopsgate St . If memory serves me right the name of the company was Edmond Bros leather goods was this was in the 50's/60's though

Last edited:
A long shot this one but there was a Samuel Salt (boot maker) at 35 Bishopsgate Street in 1912 and 1915 (Kelly's), not listed in 1921 and I can't find him on the 1921 census (have to say I'm no expert with this though). perhaps that's why Joshua went to work at Wolseleys.

So many boot and shoe makers in Birmingham though, my gt. gt. grandfather was a a shoe maker, in 1852, he came from France.

I think many of them were just 1 man bands (or woman of course).

Attachments

• samuel-salt.jpg
    samuel-salt.jpg
    508.7 KB · Views: 2
Are you aware that on the 1921 census Joshua was working at Wollesly Ltd. at Adderlry Park ? (I assume that is Wolseley Ltd. the motor car builders).
Hi John,

I am aware of the 1921 census entry. This is the only time he is not listed as a boot riveter etc and i think maybe reflects a change in occupation during world war one? I read that Woolesly concentrated on munitions at that time. In the 1911 census he is listed as "boot riveter, leather boot factory".

Thank you all for your help on this.

A long shot this one but there was a Samuel Salt (boot maker) at 35 Bishopsgate Street in 1912 and 1915 (Kelly's), not listed in 1921 and I can't find him on the 1921 census (have to say I'm no expert with this though). perhaps that's why Joshua went to work at Wolseleys.

So many boot and shoe makers in Birmingham though, my gt. gt. grandfather was a a shoe maker, in 1852, he came from France.

I think many of them were just 1 man bands (or woman of course).
I think Joshua Nicholas himself became a one man band. By 1912-1913 he appeared in trade directories as a boot repairer at bk of 175 Holliday Street (which was his family home).

Could anybody help me with a map, similar to the Bishops Avenue one to highlight which part of Holliday Street number 175 was at?

Kind regards
Jonathan

Certainly wasn't, if you broke your crown in those days it was vinegar and brown paper yo mend it , we'd got little else in those days

Back