• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Commonwealth Games, Birmingham 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly they should have cancelled it and all sport 15 months ago. However the haves must still have their little pleasures and make more money - the have nots continue to struggle on.
Lose the flyover, block up Scott arms with "Bus lane" work - we know they do not work - been there done it. Cannot refurbish a station without closing it for a year? Need some new builders - probably cronies who are not really up to it but want some extra cash! Seems to be the way of the UK these days.

The city is already paying a hefty price for these games. It's not only the resulting traffic jams and the loss of the train station but the potential damage to our history and natural environment

If anyone has the time, have a look at the price Montreal had to pay for hosting the 1976 Olympics.

yet more debt for birmingham council..now they have to make up another £25 million shortfall...the games now costing a staggering £778 million...i go through perry barr only when i have to because of the continuing chaos but looking around last week i am struggling to see how the area can be ready in time for the games this year...

https://www.expressandstar.com/news...rtners-face-25m-commonwealth-games-shortfall/

The traffic around the new Centre is congested now at times, I dread to think what it will be like with all the exta visitorrs etc.! The roads have been altered but I think they are not very suitable for this venue.
I wonder why they didn't put solar panels on the massive roof? Perhaps they are too heavy.
rosie.

If BCC hope to showcase the city perhaps the powers that be will drive along the routes that visitors will use to access the Games and take a look at the vast litter problem in Birmingham., not forgetting the potholes.

If BCC hope to showcase the city perhaps the powers that be will drive along the routes that visitors will use to access the Games and take a look at the vast litter problem in Birmingham., not forgetting the potholes.
not just a case of litter alberta its wholesale fly tipping 10ft high in places... i see it all the time travelling around with my camera for historical reasons....either way they have just shy of 6 months to sort this big problem out

lyn

The Aquatic Centre is in Sandwell and the area is not very tidy either!! We drove past this morning and it's not very inviting even though the road has been "improved".
rosie.

filthy disgusting place now what i saw when i was down there a few weeks back.glad i moved when i did

passed through perry barr yesterday...still utter chaos so much so i do wonder if there is enough time left to finish what they started

lyn

Four years to go it seems, but there will be many things happening in the Midlands during that time preparing for it. It is Birmingham's chance to make itself even better known to the rest of the country and world. Few places have changed so much in the last couple of decades and those attending the games will, I am sure, get an eye opener.
Hopefully this thread can record the developments that are and will be taking place to put on this great world class event.
We already have thread detailing the new tram system, Centenary Square and the recently named East side, so 2022 will, hopefully, be another recorded high point on the city's history.
https://www.birmingham2022.com/
A new tram system?! The last time that I ever traveled by tram in Birmingham, was on the tram that used to be on display in the old Birmingham Transport museum in town! I was barely one year old! My Dad told me the story every time we visited the museum.

A new tram system?! The last time that I ever traveled by tram in Birmingham, was on the tram that used to be on display in the old Birmingham Transport museum in town! I was barely one year old! My Dad told me the story every time we visited the museum.
That tram has been used more times than the ones they dug up the city centre for ;)

I recall that Sheffield hosted the world student games more than 20 years ago, running up a debt of £685 million. The residents of Sheffield are still paying for it. It will be April 2024 when the debt is finally cleared. I do hope Birmingham learns from this unfortunate episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back