• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Commonwealth Games, Birmingham 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes superdad it is sad but as far as i am concerned expected...once again the good citizens of birmingham have been sold down the river with promises of better things to come which will never happen...

lyn

Lyn.How come us ordinary working class people could see this was going to happen.

Didn't the Penpushers in Accounts figure this out.After today they would be first in the queue at the job centre tomorrow

Lyn.How come us ordinary working class people could see this was going to happen.

Didn't the Penpushers in Accounts figure this out.After today they would be first in the queue at the job centre tomorrow

simple answer to that ed is that we have got common sense and we can do our sums

lyn

Last edited:
I find that quite disappointing, not only that these events will take place so far away but that they're more than 6 months before the Games proper. Could they not take place at the same time or just before?

They are being held in India as these two events were I believe not planned for the 2022 Games. India threatened a boycott (I think they win quite a few medals in these sports). I am not sure who made the original decision to exclude these 2 sports. So this is a compromise.
Think of it as saving us some money :(

Apparently some sports, including these, are optional and their inclusion is determined by the committee in the country concerned. These sports are :
  • Archery.
  • Canoeing.
  • Fencing.
  • Rowing.
  • Sailing.
  • Shooting.
  • Softball.
  • Synchronised Swimming.
Personally, though some will undoubtably disagree and I admit to having no interest in sport,, I consider even considering including synchronised swimming is on the same level as would be including tiddlywinks or hip-hop

there is lots of activity going on at perry barr at the moment...street view shows what used to be student flats have now been demolished and a steel bridge erected from one side of wellhead lane to the other presume its just temporary until building work has finished..work has started now on the building of the olympic village and also the crown and cushion almost demolished after the recent fire

lyn

couldnt take a photo but as i was driving past the old site of the uni at perry barr i counted no fewer than 10 massive cranes working on the site where the olympic village is being built o_O would imagine they are well behind schedule now

lyn

Last edited:
i wont say much about this breaking news expect to say i am not at all surprised...and i dont think covid can entirely be blamed...could easily have employed more man power to catch up

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
I note that the link on post 32 describing the village has now conveniently disappeared, so any future uses compared to what was promised is not available. Had not followed too closely, but wonder who was covering the cost and what exactly was promised for post-games use. bob's comments concerning the link sate it was to be used for "community housing". What is the betting that, now, most may not be for the community but for the more affluent with extra expensive additions to attract affluent buyers?

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
i wont say much about this breaking news expect to say i am not at all surprised...and i dont think covid can entirely be blamed...could easily have employed more man power to catch up

The British construction industry is facing a major recruitment crisis with 168,500 workers needed in the next five years .(citb Aug 2019)
It seems that there are too many major projects taking place in the UK, I.e Paradise B'ham. Metro, B'ham. Crossrail, London. Hs2, London B'ham. I'm sure there are more. Along with the return to Poland of many construction workers it puts a strain on the system.
I wanted an extension building on my house, the earliest start time I had was 18-24 months.

I note that the link on post 32 describing the village has now conveniently disappeared, so any future uses compared to what was promised is not available. Had not followed too closely, but wonder who was covering the cost and what exactly was promised for post-games use. bob's comments concerning the link sate it was to be used for "community housing". What is the betting that, now, most may not be for the community but for the more affluent with extra expensive additions to attract affluent buyers?

mike as you know i live close to perry barr so have watched the slow progress made they didnt start demolishing the old uni buildings until 2018 that was a massive job then they had to clear the site another massive job...i think by march this year it was going to cost £778 million then it went up by another £91 million... building only started at the back end of last year so clearly even without covid they did not allow enough time for a project like this ...looks like work will continue building accomodation but for who i dont know...what a waste of taxpayers money and egg on the face of the powers that be..sorry i know i said i would not say much about this latest news but i am really fed up with the obscene amounts of money being wasted on white elephant schemes

lyn

Last edited:
I work at the blood service and go home by way of wheeler st . Turned towards the Barton arms on Friday. Tried to turn left towards perrybar , road solid. Went via aston cross then Witton lane past the Cemmaes to get to kingstanding .cones cones cones.

Just thought , 1400 homes x two adults plus children some of which may be teenagers will soon join the already chock a block aldridge road during rush hour not to think about new traffic lights needed.did I hear the number 5000 somewhere ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back