• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Commonwealth Games, Birmingham 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
now to most of you that know me and my feelings about change this may surprise you..from newtown through to one stop is a disgrace...the fly tipping and just general rubbish outside the shops awful sometimes you cant even walk past the shops as so many black sacks are dumped on the pavements..most of them over spilling with old food waste...the subways swilling with urine...shopping trollys...rubbish and graffiti and remnants of drug taking which i have no choice but to walk through to get to the other side of birchfield road...beggars outside the train station and another lady with one leg constantly standing in the middle of traffic stopping the cars with a window washer ...during peak hours the congestion from the city centre is terrible...so i do welcome this change because unless you live in that area or near to it you cant possibly know how bad it is.. and when its all over one can only hope that the residents and shopkeepers shape up and take pride in the area as they did many years back..my question is would all this be happening if it did not fall off the back of HS2 and the short lived commonwealth games??..i think not...all told this is going to cost billions of pounds so i just hope its money well spent and of course borrowed..

lyn

Last edited:
alan here is info on the new sprint bus lanes...and apart from demolishing the perry barr fly over it is proposed to fill in the underpass and the subways....

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/three-sprint-rapid-bus-routes-15060328
Thank you Lyn for this clarification. Pardon my ignorance, but I thought it was a road race which was part of the 2022 Games. :oops:
I just read your later post #21.
How sad to read that some areas of Britain's second city seems to have deteriorated to achieve such squalor. I remember, when the city was recovering from WW2, that some parts of the city were grimy, run down and had some quite poor folks living in those areas. However bad it was then at least those who lived there did manage to maintain decent standards of life within their abilities. (Many of the photos here on BHF will testify to that). There were exceptions by some people - they exist in the most prettiest of English villages as well - but the Brummies of those days did have pride in themselves and their city from what I remember.
This degeneration exists to a lesser degree in many places - even genteel Torquay is not exempt! Parts of some towns
would not look out of place where a major disaster has occurred.

well said alan and truth be told i also thought sprint was to do with a road race track until i looked it up:rolleyes:

lyn

“Three-quarters of the public funding for the 11-day event will come from central government, with £184m having to be found by Birmingham City Council.”

as if the city is not in enough debt pedro and all for 11 days of soon to be forgotten vanity and glory..

lyn

Has any Government figure ever been the right figure for any project.Just take the HS2 for instance and they haven't really started on it .And now it's over budget.Have they started on the Stadium at Perry Barr ,how much is that alone going to cost.And how often will it be used afterwards.And as I've said many times where are the visitors going to sleep are the cars going to park.Its a good walk from the Station to the stadium .Think the people in charge hope everyone will come by train.

Pedrocut.It seems that more land is being used for the games of 2020.This should be for houses to be built on not for a one off thing that people will be paying for for the forceable future

i like to watch most sports and i have always been a competative person BUT 778 million pounds for an 11 day wonder?...i just hope that after the games the people of birmingham are told just how much the city has benefited from the games...that is of course if we do...i also suspect that like most projects this one will run over budget...

lyn

A magnificent new Athletes Village in Perry Barr will be home to over 6,500 athletes and officials during the Games and later provide housing for the people of Birmingham.
The extensive new village will boost the local economy and skills sector, providing 400 jobs alongside 50 new apprenticeships, 30 paid summer internships and 1,000 pre-employment training places. These training places will give those involved the skills and industry accreditation to work on construction sites more widely throughout the region.
Following the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games, the village will be converted into 1,400 homes for the community. This is part of a long-term regeneration plan for Perry Barr and the surrounding areas that will eventually see 5,000 new homes.
As well as new housing the local residents will also benefit from improved sport and leisure facilities including a redevelopment of the Alexander Stadium. Transport improvements will include a new Sprint rapid bus service from Birmingham to Walsall as well as upgrades to local cycling and walking routes.

Link conveniently disappeared

Last edited by a moderator:
The main venue is Alexander Stadium. (see #2). Far from being empty most of the year it frequently hosts large international athletic events as well as domestic competitions. It is home to a high performance training centre and also a large gym also used for competitions. This is all before it is revamped.

Bob,This new Sprint Bus service for quickness to Walsall.Are they building a FLYOVER at GREAT BARR traffic light.Drives me mad the length of time you have to wait there.

Fuel for the naysayers unfortunately...

well i hate to say i told you so but i did....on post 30..what an utter waste of money...yet another white elephant for the city of birmingham and its people to cope with..

lyn

" 1,400 homes for the community ". what does that mean? Is it GENUINELY homes for people who need them at prices they can afford, or expensive flats for yuppies ?

Quote from Birmingham Live back in October - not sure if still the position:

"However, leader of Birmingham City Council Ian Ward has warned that very few of the initial 1,500 homes will be turned into social or affordable housing.
Speaking on a Commonwealth Games panel last week, he indicated that the funding deal made with government did not allow for many homes to be turned into social or affordable housing."

Sad really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back