• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Comments about Shoothill images

mw0njm.

A Brummie Dude
Last edited by a moderator:
Can folks try this. It is a pdf and can be saved into computers.

Link to pdf index to find the posts where the images are (experimental)
Windows - click the above pic then click any line in the pdf.
Not reliable with the Chrome browser (Google known issues) but ok with Edge browser. Have not tested other browsers.
iPads etc - tap the above pic then touch any line in the pdf.
* I reported the above mentioned unreliability to Google and they have sent an email on how to solve the problem and it is now fully reliable !

Last edited:
It seems to work OK with me in chrome (which I usually use). Most of the titles on the list are in black, but a few in blue. What is the difference?
I copied the text from forum posts into OpenOffice and used it to export as pdf files. I notice some lines were blue text and tried to change them but hit a problem and eventually just accepted them.
The problem I have with Chrome is the text sometimes won't show but it always does with Edge.

One useful thing with the pdf file is the easy search.
Hold CTRL key and press F key and a search box opens at top. Ideal for easy finding posts.

Working for me on iPad.

I’d like to thank Oldmohawk for all the hard work he’s put into this. We have a substantial number of the images for reference in one place, regardless of what now happens to the Shoothill site. This is no small job and works very well.

Viv.

The photo in post 41 seems to be after wartime bombing. Is there a date for this occurrence? Note the sandbagged frontage of part of the Sun Office.

The photo in post 41 seems to be after wartime bombing. Is there a date for this occurrence? Note the sandbagged frontage of part of the Sun Office.
I posted the pic a few years back and gave a date of 1941 but no month or day. :)
It's 1941 and Birmingham folk walking in Bennetts Hill ignore the warning notice about falling debris. The lady on the left must have just stepped over the 'bit' of a barrier. They all seem to have got used to other things falling from the skies during the nights. The Sun Insurance emblem seems to have had some of it rays damaged, but the building still had an emblem in 2014 https://goo.gl/maps/KaiAu although the Sun seems to have left.
index.php

It looks on Google that there is some work been done now on that building. The coat of arms is the same as I remember it when we did that in 1950 working for William Bloye the sculptor Bloody cold in the winter on a scaffold up there.

Back